Can i put a 3 network sim into and O2 refresh iphone 7 to make it permanently unlocked?

Found 16th Jul 2017
Can i put a 3 network sim into and O2 refresh iphone 7 to make it permanently unlocked?

20 Comments

Just ask them to unlock for free if it's not already

Long and short answer is no!
If you ring up customer service or Google unlock my iPhone they will unlock it for free.
You will need to leave the O2 SIM until this is done though.

iwilliams54

Long and short answer is no!If you ring up customer service or Google … Long and short answer is no!If you ring up customer service or Google unlock my iPhone they will unlock it for free.You will need to leave the O2 SIM until this is done though.

Well, sort of.
Op you Need to request the unlock before cancellation of the contract, but you don't need to leave the sim in. Large chance it may be unlocked already though so worth checking more than one network sim, 3 being an ideal one to try. If both work then is already unlocked.

blueroo

Well, sort of. Op you Need to request the unlock before cancellation of … Well, sort of. Op you Need to request the unlock before cancellation of the contract, but you don't need to leave the sim in. Large chance it may be unlocked already though so worth checking more than one network sim, 3 being an ideal one to try. If both work then is already unlocked.

I worked in o2 for a year unless it's changed you need to leave the sim in and it's directly from O2 as it's a refresh phone so it is 100% locked to O2.…..

iwilliams54

Long and short answer is no!If you ring up customer service or Google … Long and short answer is no!If you ring up customer service or Google unlock my iPhone they will unlock it for free.You will need to leave the O2 SIM until this is done though.

Long and short of it is yes if the phone hadn't been registered, then it locks to first phone and since three don't lock it shouldn't actually lock allowing the o2 sim and any others to work. If the o2 sim has already been put in then it has to be unlocked by o2

I put a Three SIM in an EE phone (bought from EE) and it locked to Three. Three sell phones unlocked but a Three SIM will lock a phone to Three...if you get me. The SIM itself won't cause the phone to become unlocked as it is on Apple's database as a locked device. The SIM won't change that.

In my case I put the Three SIM in then requested the unlock from Three, which was then refused as Three said the phone was not on their database and was in fact showing as an Orange (go figure) handset. I had to request the unlock from EE even though the phone was locked to Three. Fortunately they did this, even though I wasn't eligible for an unlock - so the phone did get unlocked, though not in a convenient way!

iwilliams54

I worked in o2 for a year unless it's changed you need to leave the sim … I worked in o2 for a year unless it's changed you need to leave the sim in and it's directly from O2 as it's a refresh phone so it is 100% locked to O2.…..

No, again not right. Sim doesn't need to be in for the iphone. And if may be unlocked even if it is directly from o2, the last two grade c iPhone 7's I had from them on o2 refresh were already unlocked, hence me suggesting they try both.

eslick

Long and short of it is yes if the phone hadn't been registered, then it … Long and short of it is yes if the phone hadn't been registered, then it locks to first phone and since three don't lock it shouldn't actually lock allowing the o2 sim and any others to work. If the o2 sim has already been put in then it has to be unlocked by o2

Depends on the make and model of phone 99% of O2 phones are pre installed with O2 software and are locked from the box.

blueroo

No, again not right. Sim doesn't need to be in for the iphone. And if may … No, again not right. Sim doesn't need to be in for the iphone. And if may be unlocked even if it is directly from o2, the last two grade c iPhone 7's I had from them on o2 refresh were already unlocked, hence me suggesting they try both.

Whilst I never used to bother putting a SIM in the phones I bought on refresh to unlock them until recently, my last phone had to have the SIM inserted as it needed to be registered on the account in order for the unlock to be authorised, according to their customer service. Whilst this might seem like BS, it rang true, as when I tried to unlock through the MyO2 app I couldn't make the request as the phone was not registered with an O2 SIM. After placing the SIM in the phone and making a call on it, it popped up in the app and I was able to proceed with the unlock myself - which came through very quickly.

This is obviously not *proof* but it gives credence to the idea that O2 might have changed their policy to prevent third party unlockers or to prevent people using their mate's O2 account to unlock a handset for free. Previous to this I had unlocked about six handsets from O2 without ever opening a SIM card - including a couple of iPhones.

iwilliams54

Depends on the make and model of phone 99% of O2 phones are pre installed … Depends on the make and model of phone 99% of O2 phones are pre installed with O2 software and are locked from the box.

Have a ok at threads on iPhone refresh over the last year and plenty of examples of the three trick so mustn't have o2 software installed in fact don't know any apple phone that allows someone else's software on the phone and all iPhones are locked on the apple server.

eslick

Long and short of it is yes if the phone hadn't been registered, then it … Long and short of it is yes if the phone hadn't been registered, then it locks to first phone and since three don't lock it shouldn't actually lock allowing the o2 sim and any others to work. If the o2 sim has already been put in then it has to be unlocked by o2

This is rubbish. ALL O2 supplied iPhones are locked to O2. If it's a refresh phone then it may have already been unlocked by a previous owner, particularly if grade C as these have generally been used for a reasonable length of time before being returned and repaired.
Most will still be locked to O2 but they will unlock for free if on pay monthly.
iPhones come either completely unlocked (apple, John Lewis, Giffgaff, Three), network locked (O2, EE, Vodafone) or some will lock to first sim.
The three 'trick' is nonsense. Some iPhones (carphone warehouse etc) will lock to the first sim used. If that sim is three, it will still lock to three but then three should unlock it for free. Using a three sim does not mean the phone will be unlocked. Anyone claiming to have had success by doing this has probably tried it in a phone that's already unlocked.

nitro228

This is rubbish. ALL O2 supplied iPhones are locked to O2. If it's a … This is rubbish. ALL O2 supplied iPhones are locked to O2. If it's a refresh phone then it may have already been unlocked by a previous owner, particularly if grade C as these have generally been used for a reasonable length of time before being returned and repaired.Most will still be locked to O2 but they will unlock for free if on pay monthly.iPhones come either completely unlocked (apple, John Lewis, Giffgaff, Three), network locked (O2, EE, Vodafone) or some will lock to first sim.The three 'trick' is nonsense. Some iPhones (carphone warehouse etc) will lock to the first sim used. If that sim is three, it will still lock to three but then three should unlock it for free. Using a three sim does not mean the phone will be unlocked. Anyone claiming to have had success by doing this has probably tried it in a phone that's already unlocked.

iPhones lock to the first sim, except where it's completely unlocked we agree to that don't we, the problem we then have is iPhones lock to the first sim that is put into them. Now on iPhones there is no magic key that says it has to be an o2 sim, and you can put in another companies sim and it would lock to that. Problem is that three don't actually lock iPhones so, putting in a three sim keeps the phone unlocked and you do not need to contact three to unlock it. That's the trick but the tone of your reply says you will argue that as well. Well that's ok, as I said 6 days ago there are plenty of people saying it's worked in new phones on this forum now they are either all wrong or maybe just maybe you are wrong.

As a side all o2 phones have to be returned within 14 days they are then sold as refurbished depending on condition

eslick

iPhones lock to the first sim, except where it's completely unlocked we … iPhones lock to the first sim, except where it's completely unlocked we agree to that don't we, the problem we then have is iPhones lock to the first sim that is put into them. Now on iPhones there is no magic key that says it has to be an o2 sim, and you can put in another companies sim and it would lock to that. Problem is that three don't actually lock iPhones so, putting in a three sim keeps the phone unlocked and you do not need to contact three to unlock it. That's the trick but the tone of your reply says you will argue that as well. Well that's ok, as I said 6 days ago there are plenty of people saying it's worked in new phones on this forum now they are either all wrong or maybe just maybe you are wrong. As a side all o2 phones have to be returned within 14 days they are then sold as refurbished depending on condition

Nope, you're wrong. iPhones do not lock to the first sim. The only ones that do are carphone warehouse and possibly Argos.
Network supplied iPhones from O2 are locked to O2. No other sim will work. The sim lock is set by a database held by Apple.
Even putting a three sim in a carphone warehouse iPhone will not make it unlocked, it will lock to three - that's how the software works.

eslick

iPhones lock to the first sim, except where it's completely unlocked we … iPhones lock to the first sim, except where it's completely unlocked we agree to that don't we, the problem we then have is iPhones lock to the first sim that is put into them. Now on iPhones there is no magic key that says it has to be an o2 sim, and you can put in another companies sim and it would lock to that. Problem is that three don't actually lock iPhones so, putting in a three sim keeps the phone unlocked and you do not need to contact three to unlock it. That's the trick but the tone of your reply says you will argue that as well. Well that's ok, as I said 6 days ago there are plenty of people saying it's worked in new phones on this forum now they are either all wrong or maybe just maybe you are wrong. As a side all o2 phones have to be returned within 14 days they are then sold as refurbished depending on condition

Also, you're wrong about the grades/returns.
Grade A have been returned within 14 days
Grade B have either been returned within 14 days and have a few marks or returned under warranty and repaired
Grade C have all been returned under warranty and repaired. It's very clearly defined on the O2 website.
People like to think they're getting brand new phones but they're not. Admittedly they're usually very good condition but many will have had new screens etc. Please get your facts right before giving false information on here.

nitro228

Also, you're wrong about the grades/returns.Grade A have been returned … Also, you're wrong about the grades/returns.Grade A have been returned within 14 daysGrade B have either been returned within 14 days and have a few marks or returned under warranty and repairedGrade C have all been returned under warranty and repaired. It's very clearly defined on the O2 website.People like to think they're getting brand new phones but they're not. Admittedly they're usually very good condition but many will have had new screens etc. Please get your facts right before giving false information on here.

as I said earlier there is plenty of evidence on here to back it up whether you like it or not it's there. The sim lock does happen on the apple servers but as I said three don't lock so put the sim in and it should not lock because three don't lock. Ok it could be totally wrong but no harm in trying if you have a "new" phone and three sim as nothing can happen.

eslick

as I said earlier there is plenty of evidence on here to back it up … as I said earlier there is plenty of evidence on here to back it up whether you like it or not it's there. The sim lock does happen on the apple servers but as I said three don't lock so put the sim in and it should not lock because three don't lock. Ok it could be totally wrong but no harm in trying if you have a "new" phone and three sim as nothing can happen.

Well if it's written on the internet it must be true!

You are plain wrong I'm afraid. O2 supplied iPhones are locked to O2, They are pre-registered on Apple's servers as locked to O2. They are not the same as carphone warehouse iPhones that lock to the first Sim.
Three supply unlocked iPhones, completely unlocked.
Putting a Three sim in a carphone warehouse phone will lock it to three. Three don't have a choice, the software is on the phone and it's set to lock to the first sim, and only that network provider can request the unlock from Apple. This applies to MVNOs as well as the main four networks. Three do not (and cannot) have a blanket agreement in place with Apple to avoid the phone locking to Three.
This is a very specific case as it only applies to phones supplied by carphone warehouse, and carphone warehouse don't sell 3 sims/contracts.
Any phone bought from a Network will either be completely unlocked (giffgaff, three) or locked to the network (O2, Tesco, Vodafone, EE)
I suspect the 'evidence' you cite is people who have put a three sim in an O2 refresh handset that has already been unlocked, and credited the three sim for unlocking it.
I have tested this myself a couple of times, including very recently, I received a brand new iPhone SE from O2, put a Vodafone sim in it and got an error that the phone was sim locked so couldn't activate as the phone is pre-locked to O2.

nitro228

Well if it's written on the internet it must be true!You are plain wrong … Well if it's written on the internet it must be true!You are plain wrong I'm afraid. O2 supplied iPhones are locked to O2, They are pre-registered on Apple's servers as locked to O2. They are not the same as carphone warehouse iPhones that lock to the first Sim.Three supply unlocked iPhones, completely unlocked. Putting a Three sim in a carphone warehouse phone will lock it to three. Three don't have a choice, the software is on the phone and it's set to lock to the first sim, and only that network provider can request the unlock from Apple. This applies to MVNOs as well as the main four networks. Three do not (and cannot) have a blanket agreement in place with Apple to avoid the phone locking to Three. This is a very specific case as it only applies to phones supplied by carphone warehouse, and carphone warehouse don't sell 3 sims/contracts. Any phone bought from a Network will either be completely unlocked (giffgaff, three) or locked to the network (O2, Tesco, Vodafone, EE)I suspect the 'evidence' you cite is people who have put a three sim in an O2 refresh handset that has already been unlocked, and credited the three sim for unlocking it.I have tested this myself a couple of times, including very recently, I received a brand new iPhone SE from O2, put a Vodafone sim in it and got an error that the phone was sim locked so couldn't activate as the phone is pre-locked to O2.

So today we took in 4 iPhones, 3 SE and one 7, all on the refresh all like new first thing I did was checked if they had any apple warranty left on them the 3 SE's all hadn't been activated, apple said activate first, the 7 had 11.5 months left so had been activated. Started with the three SE's and put in a 3 sim first worked able to make calls, put in a plusnet sim worked, put in the o2 sim and worked, repeated with all phones including after calling to pay off the phones. Phone totally unlocked, the 7 on the other hand as it was activated wouldn't work with the 3 sim, have to unlock that one directly with o2. So yes it's written on the internet but it actually works, wish I had taken pictures to prove it for you.

eslick1 h, 25 m ago

So today we took in 4 iPhones, 3 SE and one 7, all on the refresh all like …So today we took in 4 iPhones, 3 SE and one 7, all on the refresh all like new first thing I did was checked if they had any apple warranty left on them the 3 SE's all hadn't been activated, apple said activate first, the 7 had 11.5 months left so had been activated. Started with the three SE's and put in a 3 sim first worked able to make calls, put in a plusnet sim worked, put in the o2 sim and worked, repeated with all phones including after calling to pay off the phones. Phone totally unlocked, the 7 on the other hand as it was activated wouldn't work with the 3 sim, have to unlock that one directly with o2. So yes it's written on the internet but it actually works, wish I had taken pictures to prove it for you.

Rubbish.

O2 supplied iPhones are locked to O2. I've bought dozens of them and every one of them has been locked to O2 straight out the box.
You can claim what you like but it's total nonsense

nitro228

Rubbish.O2 supplied iPhones are locked to O2. I've bought dozens of them … Rubbish.O2 supplied iPhones are locked to O2. I've bought dozens of them and every one of them has been locked to O2 straight out the box.You can claim what you like but it's total nonsense

you can keep saying that as much as you like, but when I have three phones totally unlocked, I know who is talking rubbish but then again, I would admit if I was wrong.

I'm sorry but I don't believe a word of what you've said. For what you've said to be true you must have bought all grade A phones. You'd then have to have been sent 3 phones that had been bought but never even turned on - it's not very likely that anyone would return a phone without even powering it up, so the chances of you getting three are pretty much non existent.
I have tried other SIMs in O2 iPhones loads of times in the hope of it magically working, and guess what, it never does!
The most recent was a brand new, sealed SE about three weeks ago. Put a Vodafone sim in it and just got the usual sim-lock error when trying to activate the phone.
I'd like to believe you but your story is just not plausible.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions