can i put a switch before router?

Found 27th FebEdited by:"howarth3"
I have microwave internet that comes through a dish and therefore the Ethernet cable goes straight form the dish into my living room and therefore I obviously can't change this cable as one end is in the dish. if I was to put a switch on the end of this cable and run another cable to where I want the router to be should this work as a means to extend this cable? obviously I'm not expecting to plug anything else into the switch as I know it will not be part of my LAN. Failing this would homeplugs do the job?
Thanks
Community Updates
AskElectronics
3 Comments
You could - but wouldn't an rj45 coupler/extender for your cable type not fulfil this for you- or is the cable run too long to have something extending its length?
Edited by: "Bertz99" 27th Feb
Pretty sure you need to plug into the wan socket of the main router but I might be wrong.
Original Poster
Bertz997 h, 27 m ago

You could - but wouldn't an rj45 coupler/extender for your cable type not …You could - but wouldn't an rj45 coupler/extender for your cable type not fulfil this for you- or is the cable run too long to have something extending its length?

Bertz997 h, 27 m ago

You could - but wouldn't an rj45 coupler/extender for your cable type not …You could - but wouldn't an rj45 coupler/extender for your cable type not fulfil this for you- or is the cable run too long to have something extending its length?

Not sure why I didn’t think of that. Cheers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants