Can I refuse job after signing contract?

Found 15th Mar 2015
I was offered two jobs and I wanted one more than the other. A recruiter called and said things like "by going to the other place, you're digging your own grave" and he promised that "there was a fast track scheme, you'll be manager in 2 years" - and I felt very much under pressure to sign for the company that the recruiter was working on behalf of. So I signed the contract but I know in my heart that i've signed because I was under pressure.

I signed the contract only to be told by the company that there WASN'T a formal fast-track scheme. I feel like i've been pressured and lied to in order to sign.

I've asked the other company if their job is still available. I'm due to start on 23rd March....can I back out of the contract and explain why i'd signed it. I know they'll probably hate me, but still.
Community Updates
AskMobile Phone
29 Comments
short answer yes.
you can do anything you want in life, no-one can make you do anything. (sometimes you have to do whats best for you)
Banned
They won't hate you. Just be honest about it. They will respect your honesty. If you choose not to back out, you will hate yourself and it will be reflected in your work
I had this same situation 3 years ago.
My advice is to do what You feel is best for You.
So the other company may hate You so what stuff em they have already lied to You.
Take the job you want!

Good luck.
simple - contact the employer and say you want to now reject the contract

reason for rejection - their recruitment company told you there was a fast track progression plan and now you learn that there is not - false information induced you to sign the contract.

EliTom
elitom

simple - contact the employer and say you want to now reject the contract … simple - contact the employer and say you want to now reject the contract reason for rejection - their recruitment company told you there was a fast track progression plan and now you learn that there is not - false information induced you to sign the contract.EliTom

Yeah spot on, I would do this op. They should hopefully understand the reason, and even If they then have you, who cares you will probably never see them again
*hate
(My stupid phone)
Just give them your notice of resignation. It's unlikely they will force you to work for a week.
you can walk away from any job at any time. I have a 3 month notice period in my job but I could if I want walk away today with no notice. All they will be able to do is record they you were fired for gross misconduct.

In your instance you won't have a big gap in your employment history to explain, so you don't need to put this employer on your cv, and no one will ever know.

As others have said, call the company and explain. They will understand, but the agency is committing fraud to sign you up. Remember they get paid when you join so they have an interest in pressuring you to sign. They will of course deny this when the employer challenges them.
Original Poster
paul1005

you can walk away from any job at any time. I have a 3 month notice … you can walk away from any job at any time. I have a 3 month notice period in my job but I could if I want walk away today with no notice. All they will be able to do is record they you were fired for gross misconduct.In your instance you won't have a big gap in your employment history to explain, so you don't need to put this employer on your cv, and no one will ever know.As others have said, call the company and explain. They will understand, but the agency is committing fraud to sign you up. Remember they get paid when you join so they have an interest in pressuring you to sign. They will of course deny this when the employer challenges them.

Thanks i'll make sure the other job is available and get out of this one. The recruiter wasn't a very nice guy AT ALL. I guess it's my word vs his. But it's not like i'd make this up. He said it.
of course you can. they won't be that upset either as they have plenty of others they can recruit.
Banned
leobella

you can do anything you want in life, no-one can make you do anything. … you can do anything you want in life, no-one can make you do anything. (sometimes you have to do whats best for you)

Contracts are enforceable.
Recruitments get throwback from the employer, so no doubt, the recruitment company were getting a higher rate for one job than the other or wanted to impress the employer to get future recruitment work.

The last time I worked with a recruitment agency, their cut was almost 10% of my salary, which is rather a lot for a very small recruitment company for what they do IMO.
only people who get sued for employment contract violation are generally VP and above of large corporations. us underlings can get away with breaking contracts - although some companies will try to pressure you into giving a month notice. in reality, it's not enforceable.
You can walk away as soon as you want. You can't legally be forced to work or uphold a works contract as far as I'm aware.
Banned
Recruitment agents are complete and utter blood sucking parasites and general all round scum bags.
Banned
espirit77

only people who get sued for employment contract violation are generally … only people who get sued for employment contract violation are generally VP and above of large corporations. us underlings can get away with breaking contracts - although some companies will try to pressure you into giving a month notice. in reality, it's not enforceable.

There is such a thing as a bad reference. Also any bonus you are awaiting can be kissed goodbye too.

Edited by: "Villa" 15th Mar 2015
Banned
GrantG182

Recruitments get throwback from the employer, so no doubt, the … Recruitments get throwback from the employer, so no doubt, the recruitment company were getting a higher rate for one job than the other or wanted to impress the employer to get future recruitment work.The last time I worked with a recruitment agency, their cut was almost 10% of my salary, which is rather a lot for a very small recruitment company for what they do IMO.

It can be as high as 20% depending on whether the employee completes his/her probationary period, and often there are other caveats such as having spent x number of months at the company without disciplinary issues.
It varies.
Banned
mutley1

of course you can. they won't be that upset either as they have plenty … of course you can. they won't be that upset either as they have plenty of others they can recruit.

The recruitment agency will 100% be fuming as they will have just lost their commission fee, and possibly the customer will go to a different agency to find a replacement candidate . The employer will be mightily peed off too as they will have to waste another few weeks getting someone else in.
Nothing stopping you from leaving. If you leave within a couple of weeks, you could possible fudge your employment history slightly so as not to show a gap, as otherwise questions will be asked at your next interview and no employer wants to hear how you quit a new job so quickly.
Banned
toshapetriji

Technically yes.
In reality no company is going to waste their time and money pursuing someone who quit after a few weeks without giving notice.
Come to it, they are unlikely to pursue even a long-term employee who didn't give notice unless there were some very specific and special circumstances.
Just not worth their while. All they can do is give a bad reference.
Villa

There is such a thing as a bad reference. Also any bonus you are awaiting … There is such a thing as a bad reference. Also any bonus you are awaiting can be kissed goodbye too.

if you've already got a new job to go to, chances are you don't need them as a reference. well yes, that's a given - no bonus if you leave before it's given to you.
toshapetriji

what can they do(it is all talk)
Steve Mac

You can walk away as soon as you want. You can't legally be forced to … You can walk away as soon as you want. You can't legally be forced to work or uphold a works contract as far as I'm aware.

correct
Villa

Recruitment agents are complete and utter blood sucking parasites and … Recruitment agents are complete and utter blood sucking parasites and general all round scum bags.

correct
Villa

Technically yes.In reality no company is going to waste their time and … Technically yes.In reality no company is going to waste their time and money pursuing someone who quit after a few weeks without giving notice.Come to it, they are unlikely to pursue even a long-term employee who didn't give notice unless there were some very specific and special circumstances.Just not worth their while. All they can do is give a bad reference.

correct
Banned
Villa

There is such a thing as a bad reference. Also any bonus you are awaiting … There is such a thing as a bad reference. Also any bonus you are awaiting can be kissed goodbye too.

Bad references

Can my employer give me a bad reference?
Yes and no. Many people mistakenly believe that your boss can’t give you a bad reference by law, but that’s not entirely true…
References just have to be accurate and truthful so if you were disciplined at your last job then they could include that on your reference. However, many employers are scared to give bad references because anything considered to be not 100% accurate could be grounds for legal action. If you find out that you have been unfairly given a bad reference then you could possibly sue.
Banned
Lyrrad

Bad referencesCan my employer give me a bad reference?Yes and no. Many … Bad referencesCan my employer give me a bad reference?Yes and no. Many people mistakenly believe that your boss can’t give you a bad reference by law, but that’s not entirely true…References just have to be accurate and truthful so if you were disciplined at your last job then they could include that on your reference. However, many employers are scared to give bad references because anything considered to be not 100% accurate could be grounds for legal action. If you find out that you have been unfairly given a bad reference then you could possibly sue.

The main reason why myself and others do not tend to give bad references is because quite often we actually want the employee gone.
I have given great references to some awful workplace terrorists.

Banned
Villa

The main reason why myself and others do not tend to give bad references … The main reason why myself and others do not tend to give bad references is because quite often we actually want the employee gone.I have given great references to some awful workplace terrorists.

Absolutely
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants