Can I sale my car while a claim against me is going on

Posted 22nd Mar
Just a quick question I’ve currently got an insurance claim going on, I’ve admitted fault. No damage to my car apart but it’s going in part exchange on Wednesday can I still go ahead with it?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
I don’t see why not if no damage to your car. You could always do a video walk around of your car in its current state with proof of date ie: Newspaper to possibly cover yourself.
I would take lots of close up photos and a video, to show there are no dents or scratches, just in case the other party exaggerates the incident.
Thanks, that’s what I thought. Just wasn’t to sure if there was a legal point having to keep the car until the claim was settled,
Talk to the insurer. You will be cancelling the policy. Do please talk to them. I have no idea what you will find out
can't see why you shouldn't be able to sell your car but as already said, make sure you tell your insurer first.
You can sell it but you can’t cancel the insurance premium in case you want to change them. You’ll have to pay the remaining balance as you’ve made a claim
sfndkks23/03/2020 07:59

You can sell it but you can’t cancel the insurance premium in case you w …You can sell it but you can’t cancel the insurance premium in case you want to change them. You’ll have to pay the remaining balance as you’ve made a claim

This plus, If the insurance company decides to write your car off (not likely in this case) then once they pay out the vehicle is theirs. Except they can't get it as you will have sold it - which is why most insurance policies state that in the event of a claim the vehicle should be stored until the claim is settled. As I said, not likely in this case but definitely check with insurance company before passing ownership on
Hi guys thanks for your help. Just to update, spoken to my insurance as there is no claim being made on my behalf I can do what I please, sale it, scrap it, trade etc. Advised to take a picture just in case. But as I’ve admitted being at fault nothing more can be done
BIELSA201923/03/2020 18:49

Hi guys thanks for your help. Just to update, spoken to my insurance as …Hi guys thanks for your help. Just to update, spoken to my insurance as there is no claim being made on my behalf I can do what I please, sale it, scrap it, trade etc. Advised to take a picture just in case. But as I’ve admitted being at fault nothing more can be done

Good news. Best thing to be straight with insurance company. They have all the power to make yours life hell.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants