Expired

Can I sell a Tivo box from Virgin Media on here

Found 14th Sep 2014
I had a 1TB Tivo box from Virgin 3 or 4 years ago and left them approximately two years ago.

They never collected the box, despite me asking for it to be collected on multiple occasions.

I then complained about it cluttering up my house and they replied with:

"Hi there.

our equipment you have recently disconnected is not required to be returned, please dispose of this in an environmentally friendly way. If you still wish for us to send postal packaging to send back for us to recycle please reply to this e-mail.

Thanks,

The Virgin Media Collections Team."

I was going to dismantle it to make use of the 1TB hard drive, but see them selling for a decent amount on eBay.

I've just tried to list it but get the following message:

"Virgin Media Tivo boxes
It appears that you are trying to list a Virgin Media Tivo box. Please be aware that Virgin Media informed us that the resale of the TiVo box is not allowed since the buyers won’t be able to use it. Virgin Media will request the buyer to return the box. For more information you can directly contact Virgin Media at: CPEAssurance@virginmedia.co.uk.

Thanks for your understanding."

So I can throw it in the bin, or rip it apart, but not sell it.

Could I sell it on here?
Community Updates
12 Comments
You cant sell it on here. You could always rip it open and take the hard drive out. That would be worth something to someone.
I had a man from virgin collecting my old hd box a couple years ago and he told me that has u don't actually own the box u can be charged for it if u don't have it to return if u cancelled your subscription.
points to sky in this regard then ... sold on numerous boxes on cancelation of contract

Edited by: "peanuted" 14th Sep 2014
I eventually ripped out the hd and binned my old one as Virgin said they won't need it back and the installation guy at new place (year later) Said it's too old to do anything with.
Original Poster
Yes, I know the box belongs to Virgin but if they've told me to dispose of it, it seems a shame to rip it apart or bin it.

Looks like I'll have to take a hammer to it as I don't have a funny screwdriver to fit the anti tamper screws.
Bobbajob

Yes, I know the box belongs to Virgin but if they've told me to dispose … Yes, I know the box belongs to Virgin but if they've told me to dispose of it, it seems a shame to rip it apart or bin it.Looks like I'll have to take a hammer to it as I don't have a funny screwdriver to fit the anti tamper screws.

Toolstation or Screwfix do anti tamper bits. Its a shame no one else can use it as a extra box etc but that's the way it is. The difference being with Sky boxes is if it goes wrong you have to pay for it unlike VM were they will either fix or replace.
Yea no one else can use it because I looked on ebay was going to buy one to receive VM in my bedroom but was told on the official forum even if I did buy one it wouldn't work.
You're better off making use of what parts you can.
Just keep their email in case they do decide to ask for it back in the future.
My uncle was binning his 500GB Tivo Box, so I took it home with me and after 3 hours of bending, cracking and force I managed to cut my finger AND get the "Western Digital Green 500GB" Hardrive out.

I then spent an hour trying to get it to work in my PC as it has been formatted to run on Linux only and windows didn't even detect it. I had to install some Linux Emulator and format the drive through that, and it's still going strong a year later!
Original Poster
New twist to the story.

The e-mail that I sent to the new address that came up on eBay have appologised for the confusion, and said that yes, they do actually want the box back and can I send them my address.

So I have one e-mail from them saying dispose of it and a new one saying they want it back.

I might say it's now in pieces but they're welcome to the bits.
Ooooops they may charge you for breaking their box.
Tell them you've already disposed of it like the email said you could do.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants