Expired

Can I send an amazon gift voucher back to sender?

Found 18th Jun 2012
My other half got a £10 amazon gift voucher sent direct from amazon with a personal message from the sender as a thank you for helping them.

We can't really accept this and would like to send it back to sender but i don't know if this is possible? Can we ask the sender to cancel it to get a refund or can we send it back to the sender so they can use it themselves?
Community Updates
34 Comments
It is very bad manners to return a gift.

Unless it's a turd in a box.
I'll take it????
Please????
why can't u accept the gift?
Do you know the email address of the sender?
If so maybe email them and explain.
If you feel really uncomfortable and the sender refuses to accept it back then say thank you, spend the voucher and donate £10 to charity.
magicbeans

why can't u accept the gift?

because my other half feels that the gift is not deserved and the other person doesn't have a lot of money so they would appreciate the £10 themselves.

a thank you was more than sufficient.
mutley1

because my other half feels that the gift is not deserved and the other … because my other half feels that the gift is not deserved and the other person doesn't have a lot of money so they would appreciate the £10 themselves.a thank you was more than sufficient.

It might have been a thing for lovefilm that they got for free? So it wouldn't have cost them anything
sickly sweet

Do you know the email address of the sender?If so maybe email them and … Do you know the email address of the sender?If so maybe email them and explain. If you feel really uncomfortable and the sender refuses to accept it back then say thank you, spend the voucher and donate £10 to charity.

is it possible for me to forward the amazon email back to the sender so they can use the voucher code themselves?
the_mongoose_man

It might have been a thing for lovefilm that they got for free? So it … It might have been a thing for lovefilm that they got for free? So it wouldn't have cost them anything

the amazon email says that you have been sent a £10 gift voucher from the acquaintance to use. so it was not a forward email but a gift email from amazon. not sure if this makes any difference.
mutley1

is it possible for me to forward the amazon email back to the sender so … is it possible for me to forward the amazon email back to the sender so they can use the voucher code themselves?

Do you have their email address? If so, yes, just forward it on. If no, is there any information on the email?
mutley1

because my other half feels that the gift is not deserved and the other … because my other half feels that the gift is not deserved and the other person doesn't have a lot of money so they would appreciate the £10 themselves.a thank you was more than sufficient.

Just remember that she (the sender) may be upset if your OH says it's too much and that she feels uncomfortable.
Bear in mind how grateful she is and that she probably put some thought into it.
sickly sweet

Do you have their email address? If so, yes, just forward it on. If no, … Do you have their email address? If so, yes, just forward it on. If no, is there any information on the email?

yeah, my other half will email it back with appropriate wording.
yeah, understand what you mean about the sender may be taken aback, so will draft email appropriately.
aww that's sweet of ur OH not wanting to put them out of £10, decent guy. but when u give a present it's also nice for the other person to accept it.

just return it in some other form one day (xmas pressie /take them for a meal out etc!)
magicbeans

aww that's sweet of ur OH not wanting to put them out of £10, decent guy. … aww that's sweet of ur OH not wanting to put them out of £10, decent guy. but when u give a present it's also nice for the other person to accept it. just return it in some other form one day (xmas pressie /take them for a meal out etc!)

the sender is only an acquaintance and not a friend so this is not possible. this is why we feel uncomfortable accepting the gift.
mutley1

the sender is only an acquaintance and not a friend so this is not … the sender is only an acquaintance and not a friend so this is not possible. this is why we feel uncomfortable accepting the gift.

i see, but the person only sent it if they really wanted to. so won't it be a bit upsetting to have it returned. surely they can take the £10 hit and they WANT u to enjoy something. so buy something and then take a pic and send a thank u note?
Sorry, but I think it is dreadfully rude to send the gift back. The person, regardless of their financial situation, has taken the time and trouble to appreciate something your other half has done and you are cocking a snoot at them for doing so!

I would find it extremely condescending if I was the sender and it was returned. This person may well have felt really good about sending the gift and even if they couldnt really afford it, the feeling of doing something nice is priceless.

You will be crushing those feelings.

gavethat.com/200…tml

Send them that link when you return the gift just in case they are unable to cope with the rejection of their good will.
ok, let me give you examples.

a doctor cures a patient of cancer. the patient gives the doctor a cash gift.
if i were the doctor i would not think it was appropriate to accept the gift.

i rescue someone from topping themselves by jumping into the thames.
their parents are so grateful that they give me a cash gift. i would not want to accept the gift.
mutley1

ok, let me give you examples.a doctor cures a patient of cancer. the … ok, let me give you examples.a doctor cures a patient of cancer. the patient gives the doctor a cash gift.if i were the doctor i would not think it was appropriate to accept the gift.i rescue someone from topping themselves by jumping into the thames.their parents are so grateful that they give me a cash gift. i would not want to accept the gift.

In either of those circumstances, I'd still accept the gift very gratefully, because the guy that sent it has obviously got a lot going on in their own head and will feel very put-out by having it returned. Just my opinion, but you obviously know the circumstances better yourself.

edit...unless you'd get in trouble for taking a backhander in the doctor type instance, but for a £10 Amazon voucher I doubt it.
Edited by: "panddda" 18th Jun 2012
panddda

In either of those circumstances, I'd still accept the gift very … In either of those circumstances, I'd still accept the gift very gratefully, because the guy that sent it has obviously got a lot going on in their own head and will feel very put-out by having it returned. Just my opinion, but you obviously know the circumstances better yourself.edit...unless you'd get in trouble for taking a backhander in the doctor type instance, but for a £10 Amazon voucher I doubt it.

it is a difficult call as i understand how someone can feel disappointed when their gift is returned.
however i do not like to accept gifts unless i think i am entitled to it or deserved it from another person. and i particularly feel uncomfortable when someone does not have a lot of money give me theirs.
Look at it this way. Your OH has helped out this acquaintance in some way. Without knowing the details I guess they probably saved some money or an extra expenditure. So give away £10 is a token of the saving. Sometimes if people don't have a lot of money, they rely on their pride. Choosing to sacrifice £10 can be huge thing to do.
Keep the voucher but send them a very nice thank you.
mutley1

ok, let me give you examples.a doctor cures a patient of cancer. the … ok, let me give you examples.a doctor cures a patient of cancer. the patient gives the doctor a cash gift.if i were the doctor i would not think it was appropriate to accept the gift.i rescue someone from topping themselves by jumping into the thames.their parents are so grateful that they give me a cash gift. i would not want to accept the gift.

I wanted to give my doctor a thank you present for helping me recently, I gave her these: biscuiteers.com/sho…/3/
I received a thank you letter saying it was very kind but entirely unnecessary but I wanted to do something to show my appreciation for their support and help.
Sometimes people just want to do something nice, make someone smile and make them feel appreciated.
as posted cant return but reading your posts I would suggest using the voucher to get them something.
From what I can remember, it's possible to cancel the gift voucher from within the Amazon account if it's not been claimed as I had a family member who sent a gift voucher to a dud e-mail address which they were able to cancel and re-issue.

I do agree with the above posts about accepting the gift though as it does make people feel better who give the gift. I like to help people by fixing their PCs to do them a favour as they'd probably get charged a fortune at the likes of PC World or similar and they usually want to give me something in return which I don't like taking as I wasn't doing it for money. However with one repair it was pointed out to me by someone else that it was making the person whose computer I repaired uncomfortable as they felt they were taking advantage of me and would be better if they could give me something for my time so now I accept any gifts gratefully and if anyone asks what they can get me to say thanks I mention something small off Amazon or a gift voucher.

So I'd think very carefully before returning a gift, you may not think it's deserved but bear in mind it's partially for your friend's benefit as it is for yours - they obviously feel it was worth sending a gift voucher and it is their choice.

John

Edited by: "Johnmcl7" 19th Jun 2012
Send it back stating you find the gift an insult and expected a much bigger reward.

/thread.
mutley1

mutley this is what you should do.

1) go to the shop and buy a thank you card
2) write many thanks for the voucher
3) start another line and say you are so touched by the voucher you felt you should give something back
4) insert amazon voucher
5) seal card and write recipients name
6) add 2nd class stamp and post
7) sit back and wait for the never ending cycle
mutley1

is it possible for me to forward the amazon email back to the sender so … is it possible for me to forward the amazon email back to the sender so they can use the voucher code themselves?

yes otherwise how would people ever sell amazon vouchers on here / ebay etc
Edited by: "csiman" 19th Jun 2012
mutley1

errm i think doctors and what not quite happily take all kinds of gifts!
quite a few ppl spend loads thanking their Midwives for a good delivery and they never reject it!
can you accept it - so they feel they have said thanks in the way they want - and pass the £10 onto someone else some other way ?

My nan saves 30p a week for me (still !!!) for Christmas presents that i need to buy - and has been saving it since i was about 4 - i am now many years past that !!!! - anyway .......... it would hurt her more if i sent it back - so i use it to buy her something during the year - or a few bits - and send them saying ............. ''say this and thought of you' .............. it was the only way i could think that wouldn't upset here.

I think the amazon voucher just expires if the code isn't used - we had one we found on an email address that had expired and they said we had a year to use it and because we hadn't the money had gone in their system - i am pretty sure it didn't go back to the person who had sent it because they would have said,
Have to agree, it would be awful to return a gift. I would send a really nice thank you letter and just donate the tenner to charity or something.

You will really embarrass them and make them feel cruddy if you return it xx
I have to agree with the majority.

Please don't embarrass the person who gave your OH the voucher.

Give £10 to your favourite charity if it will 'make up for' accepting it, with grace and thanks.

edit - snap!!
Edited by: "chesso" 19th Jun 2012
update on this thread for anyone who is interested.

following on from your comments we decided that we should keep the voucher as you are right guys that the sender would feel dissappointed that their gift was returned.

we had planned to return the gift with the best of intentions for the sender but i can see what you mean about it being received the wrong way.

what's that old saying? never look a gift horse in the mouth? X)
did i miss what your oh did? i see the questions but not the answers.
if it was holding a door open then fair enough to feel that way, if it was carrying in some boxes or doing anything which saved them signficant expenditure then its saved them moneyand so 'is' deserved.
either way best to keep it to save the hassle really in the end - for them and for you.
Edited by: "brilly" 21st Jun 2012
mutley1

update on this thread for anyone who is interested.following on from your … update on this thread for anyone who is interested.following on from your comments we decided that we should keep the voucher as you are right guys that the sender would feel dissappointed that their gift was returned.we had planned to return the gift with the best of intentions for the sender but i can see what you mean about it being received the wrong way.what's that old saying? never look a gift horse in the mouth? X)

i'm sure you've made the right decision ....... and well done for being so kind in the first place

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions