Groups

Can I send and receive texts without a mobile reception?

Hi,

I live in a mobile network black spot where coverage is non-existent to minimal. Everyone who comes here has the same issue no matter what network they're on. It's got to the point where I can't use any mobile to make calls which is frustrating and sending texts is barely possible.

Therefore, I know there are ways of using wifi to make and receive calls but is there an app or setting that will allow text messages to be sent as well? The reason it has to be texts and not data is because the recipient does not have wifi or network data available to them.

Hope that makes sense.

edit:We have 2 android and 2 apple devices. Samsung Galaxy S6, 2 x iphones 5 and a Motorola G3.

edit 2: All our phones are on either O2 or another provider using the O2 network. As mentioned, none of the other networks improve on the O2 reception.

24 Comments

Which phone are you using and is it Android Ios or Windows?

Ios seems to be able to do it but not sure about the other 2

Original Poster

Treboeth

Which phone are you using and is it Android Ios or Windows?Ios seems to … Which phone are you using and is it Android Ios or Windows?Ios seems to be able to do it but not sure about the other 2

We have 2 android and 2 apple devices. Samsung Galaxy S6, 2 x iphones 5 and a Motorola G3.

Some carriers, like EE have a 'calls over wifi' option. Likewise, Apple iMessage means you can send without a signal if you have wifi. Not sure about Android/Windows.

windym

Some carriers, like EE have a 'calls over wifi' option. Likewise, Apple … Some carriers, like EE have a 'calls over wifi' option. Likewise, Apple iMessage means you can send without a signal if you have wifi. Not sure about Android/Windows.

How to text through WIFI Iphone?
    It does not send and receive messages over WiFi like iMessage does. iMessage is free and unlimited but iMessage is only free for texting others over Wi-Fi using an iOS device or Mac with iMessage anywhere in the world and at home.

Thats the answer you need , use the iphone for this purpose

Original Poster

Treboeth

Thats the answer you need , use the iphone for this purpose

We use one device each rather than access to every phone.

02 Have an App available for contract customers called 'Tu go' which does text messages and phone calls, seems to work well, It runs in the background.

The BlackBerry phones have a parabolic? Antenna that copes well with poor signals

Why not investigate whether your mobile network provider offers a Femtocell? Talks to broadband and provides a very local mobile base station all of your own :-)

ee.co.uk/hel…box
    Edited by: "Fluffykins" 27th Sep 2016

Does it have to be a text message? Can you not use a messaging app like Messenger or Whatsapp?

Some carriers offer an app that will link via WiFi

o2.co.uk/app…-go

Bigfootpete

Does it have to be a text message? Can you not use a messaging app like … Does it have to be a text message? Can you not use a messaging app like Messenger or Whatsapp?

From the OP
    The reason it has to be texts and not data is because the recipient does not have wifi or network data available to them

You can call and text over WiFi using what sap for free.

nannafish

You can call and text over WiFi using what sap for free.

From the OP
    The reason it has to be texts and not data is because the recipient does not have wifi or network data available to them

how does the other person receive them?

three also have an app you can use and some other providers let you buy a thing from them that uses your internet and creates mobile signal. So the important question is, who are you with and can you change?

U need a signal whether wifi or not. If on ee with wifi calling I still need a signal but wifi will boost it. Without a network signal I think you will struggle

Original Poster

Thanks all for your responses. All our phones are on either O2 or another provider using the O2 network. As mentioned, none of the other networks improve on the O2 reception.

The recipient is a pensioner who has a basic phone and doesn't have broadband or a mobile data plan.

Just to reiterate what richje100 says, EE WiFi calling requires a mobile signal to function, it just improves the call quality. Without a mobile signal it does not connect.

Vodafone SureSignal creates a 3G mobile network in your house using the WiFi network. Obviously you need to be a Vodafone customer to use it though: vodafone.co.uk/sho…htm

I feel as though nothing will work without either a decent wifi signal or mobile signal. Modern technology hey!

RobertM0215

Thanks all for your responses. All our phones are on either O2 or another … Thanks all for your responses. All our phones are on either O2 or another provider using the O2 network. As mentioned, none of the other networks improve on the O2 reception.The recipient is a pensioner who has a basic phone and doesn't have broadband or a mobile data plan.

The 02 Tu Go app is what you're after then, it will send texts normally to non-smart phones.
    I can't get signal in the house, with the exception of standing by a window in one bedroom, reception in the garden is pretty poor too, the Tu go app has worked wonders but seems to need a contract to work.
    If you send text messages or make a call through the app it uses your call/text allowance as normal, rather than WhatsAp type services.

for the phones using o2 (not something using their network like giffgaff) install the tugo app
    ios
    android
    you do not need any signal at all to call and send texts using this app. All calls and text will come out of your allowance. It will use some extra battery on your devices.

Can I ask how will the apps work without a mobile signal?

Whatsapp.

have you never heard of skype? it's exactly what your looking for. you can call and text people's phones from the Internet. you can also receive phone calls and text.

@richje100 the TuGo app requires WiFi to function, it uses the internet from the senders side and traditional mobile network at the receivers end (so somebody with a feature phone can receive the calls/texts).
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just an thought regarding Paypal98
      2. Samsung 4k TVs which one 49/55inch curved? £1.50034
      3. Type 11, 21 or 22 Radiators?24
      4. Which Kodi Add-ons?1314

See more discussions