Groups

Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?

As above really, I live in a new house with no external aerial. I was thinking if I could use the sky box to get basic channels then it would save me paying out £150 for an aerial to be fitted.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

15 Comments

You pay sky for a freeview card I have been told. £15.

You will be able to pick up the free to air satellite channels.

I think you'll need to pay £20 to sky every time a new card comes out though

radioandtelly.co.uk/sat…tml

Banned

Just get a freeview box and an indoor aerial on the cheap

Original Poster

Starr;8236415

You will be able to pick up the free to air satellite channels.I think … You will be able to pick up the free to air satellite channels.I think you'll need to pay £20 to sky every time a new card comes out thoughhttp://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/satellitefree.html

Thanks, good website from the link

craigk8163;8236461

Thanks, good website from the link

No probs

Channel list is here

sky.com/sho…rue

You dont need a card at all. I have a sky box in each of my kids rooms and they work with the free channels without a card

Banned

pinkkitty2007;8236503

You dont need a card at all. I have a sky box in each of my kids rooms … You dont need a card at all. I have a sky box in each of my kids rooms and they work with the free channels without a card

But do you need an external aerial? Would an indoor aerial do?

Banned

dcx_badass;8236625

No aerial will work, its a sky box, it needs a satellite dish, what's … No aerial will work, its a sky box, it needs a satellite dish, what's hard to understand about that.

That time of the month?? :whistling:

I had asked the question as I was wondering if the sky box could be also used as a freeview box, instead of a freesat

It will not become a Freesat Receiver either.

It will become a FreesatfromSky Receiver.

Freesat is something entirely different.

He's right. Wont be Freeview, wont be Freesat . WILL be free-to-air channels via Skydish- mjore or less same line-up as the others.

Hi, I am thinking of stopping my SKY subscription. Currently I have a standard package which may be SKY plus as I can record programmes. My question is can I just stop paying and remove the card to receive Freestat channels? Will that work? Also can I just remove the card now to see what channels I can receive and then replace the card until I stop paying without any re-configuration needed?

im not sure what card people are talking about, but from experience, once my sky contract ran out and we cancelled membership, we kept the box (they dont ask for it back) and were able to recieve free to air channels which are basically the same as what you get on freeview, plus a few more international (sort of) channels. you just need it connected to a dish which is what they would have intsalled for you anyway unless you had a cable running to your communial dish (usualy in flats).

DCA

Hi, I am thinking of stopping my SKY subscription. Currently I have a … Hi, I am thinking of stopping my SKY subscription. Currently I have a standard package which may be SKY plus as I can record programmes.

Way to go. Ressurect a 3½ year-old thread why don't you.

When you cancel a Sky+ subscription you can no longer record or playback programmes and can no longer watch subscription channels so make sure you have watched everything you don't want to lose.

You should keep the card in the box. It automatically becomes a "Freesat from Sky" card when cancelled. Using a "Freesat from Sky" card allows you to watch certain minority channels and sets channels 101 and 103 to the correct regions for your postcode.

From time-to-time Sky issue new cards. At that point your card will stop working so you need to order a Freesat from Sky card for £25. The new card will work for a minimum of 3 years. Details are here:
    http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/faq/
    (under the question "I already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?")

Edited by: "nick1austin" 23rd Dec 2013

nick1austin

Way to go. Ressurect a 3½ year-old thread why don't you. :)When you … Way to go. Ressurect a 3½ year-old thread why don't you. :)When you cancel a Sky+ subscription you can no longer record or playback programmes and can no longer watch subscription channels so make sure you have watched everything you don't want to lose.You should keep the card in the box. It automatically becomes a "Freesat from Sky" card when cancelled. Using a "Freesat from Sky" card allows you to watch certain minority channels and sets channels 101 and 103 to the correct regions for your postcode.From time-to-time Sky issue new cards. At that point your card will stop working so you need to order a Freesat from Sky card for £25. The new card will work for a minimum of 3 years. Details are here:http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/faq/(under the question "I already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?")

Thanks nick1austin. Sounds to me that the only downsides are that I will not be able to record programmes or view E4 etc... and I will need to pay £25 every 3yrs for a new card or will the card include for these channels? Any way seems to me to be a no brainer against paying £42.50 a month subscription. Are there any other downsides? why are more people not doing this?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767343
      2. word association Game73944514
      3. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2238
      4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***1125

See more discussions