Can I take my laptop screen off and still use the laptop?

Found 2nd Jun 2009
Hi,

I am wanting to put my laptop under the tv and connect it up so have no use for the screen on the laptop, will my laptop still work with the screen detached and make a nice cheap way to have a media centre under my tv lol.

Thanks

9 Comments

Depending on the model yes.

you shoudl be able to hook it up to the screen using the vga/dvi/hdmi out and close your laptop thus making the tv your main screen and no need to mutate your lappy thus making it easier to sell later

yeah if you can avoid detaching the screen you should. else you might face say it crashing and on reboot it stops outputting to the external connector, then you'll be beggered. if you just adjust the power saving settings so that it doesn't go to sleep when the lid is closed, then you can just close it up and output via the vga or whatever connector.

would cause more problems than it would solve im afraid

Original Poster

Thanks guys, what a dork i am!!! Just close the screen pmsl, never thought of that one, really think i need some sleep and a brain transplant with a chinchilla.

:thumbsup:

Original Poster

bfjem;5379144

you shoudl be able to hook it up to the screen using the vga/dvi/hdmi out … you shoudl be able to hook it up to the screen using the vga/dvi/hdmi out and close your laptop thus making the tv your main screen and no need to mutate your lappy thus making it easier to sell later

cheers i really didnt think of that!!! wot a complete dork i am, you wouldnt think ive been using computers daily for hours since the zx spectrum.

:thumbsup:

I have done this with a Dell D610, when the screen was badly damaged so yes it can be done. Only downside on this model is that the aerial for the wireless card is embedded in the screen casing so now need to use a PCMCIA wireless network card.

rbquk;5379526

cheers i really didnt think of that!!! wot a complete dork i am, you … cheers i really didnt think of that!!! wot a complete dork i am, you wouldnt think ive been using computers daily for hours since the zx spectrum.:thumbsup:

hey nps I work with em to; more a programmer then a hardware man but still should be a quick fix for ya:thumbsup:

Original Poster

dcx_badass;5379789

Acer make one it's basically the acer aspire one laptop but in a small … Acer make one it's basically the acer aspire one laptop but in a small square with no screen it cost's about £160 you could buy that?

Cheers will have a look at it :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz56
    2. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…56119
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428314659
    4. word association Game74244933

See more discussions