Groups
    EXPIRED

Can I transfer OEM Licence?

Hi All

I have an MSi laptop that came pre-installed with W7 that I hardly use now and am looking to use just for streaming sport, although might not even be using it for that for much longer as considering getting a Raspberry Pi or a standalone XBMC for that. Anyway I digress! I also have an old Lenovo X61 with Vista OEM.

Can I uninstall W7 from the MSi and use another free OS and then use that licence to install W7 on the Lenovo?

Any advice gratefully received

14 Comments

Nope. Not legally anyway.

Yes you can, fairly easily, and as far as I'm aware its legal as long as you have one pc for each license but I might be wrong. You can Google programs that show you your windows 7 key, write it down. Grab a copy of a Windows 7 installer (there's aleays someone that has one in a drawer somewhere). Then when you install it to another computer just enter said key in during the process, and stop using / wipe the original computer.

I have several PCs and am constantly switching the OSs.

Microsoft OEM license can be reinstalled but can not be transferred from the original motherboard.

The OEM license will be locked to your motherboard id, all other components can come and go but the mobo is what Microsoft identify the build by.

So to conclude no you won't be able to transfer the license to the other laptop sorry.

*Edit: After reading twistedblues response it's worth giving it a go. Let us know how you get on

Edited by: "shimagoza" 5th Dec 2014

Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Not sure I want to risk the second option in case they block as I use it for work when out & about.

May have to look into a free OS that is quicker than Vista!

Red Devil PJB

That should be any other O/S (_;)

Chrome o/s or Unbuntu would both do the job, and you could even just run these from a usb falsh drive if you wanted to retain the original HDD data.

Good luck with it all.

I have a Lenovo T61 and a Dell Latitude XT, on which I use ElementaryOS. It is brilliant for laptops IMO.

Original Poster

ZaphodBeeblebrox

I have a Lenovo T61 and a Dell Latitude XT, on which I use ElementaryOS. … I have a Lenovo T61 and a Dell Latitude XT, on which I use ElementaryOS. It is brilliant for laptops IMO.

Looks really promising, is it alot quicker than MS from boot? I ask as once booted I'm happy with speed as has SSD but boot takes a little longer than I like.

Red Devil PJB

Looks really promising, is it alot quicker than MS from boot? I ask as … Looks really promising, is it alot quicker than MS from boot? I ask as once booted I'm happy with speed as has SSD but boot takes a little longer than I like.

My t61 with an SSD boots in about 10 seconds with Elementary, the XT takes about 30-40 second to boot but it has an IDE Drive.

From Microsoft's website

Q. My customer bought a new PC and wants to move the OEM software from … Q. My customer bought a new PC and wants to move the OEM software from the old PC to the new one. Can't users do whatever they want with their software?A. No, the OEM software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed and is tied to that original machine. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system, even if the original machine is no longer in use. The Microsoft Software License Terms, which the end user must accept before using the software, state that the license may not be shared, transferred to, or used concurrently on different computers. System builders must provide end-user support for the Windows license on computers they build, but cannot support licenses on computers they didn’t build. This is a fundamental reason why an OEM System Builder License can't be transferred.

So no the license is for the machine. You do not even own the software. It is an agreement by Microsoft to let you use it.

Go for Linux Mint, easy to get used to, fast and free.

Red Devil PJB

There are plenty of free linux distros out there which are worth trying out before installing. You can give them a spin by simply burning the isos to a dvd and then running the os live from the dvd.

There are some good reviews of modern linux distros. It's important to avoid out dated info.

You can find loads more here, look under page hit ranking.

Original Poster

Tried Mint before but it was a **** to uninstall. Is it the same for Elementary OS as tempted to give it a go.

paul123edwards

Go for Linux Mint, easy to get used to, fast and free.

Yes Linux Mint is good too, I all depends on your preferences. I like Elementary better for laptops and Mint better for desktops.

Red Devil PJB

Tried Mint before but it was a **** to uninstall. Is it the same for … Tried Mint before but it was a **** to uninstall. Is it the same for Elementary OS as tempted to give it a go.

There is no uninstall as such, just install whatever you want over the top. What problems did you have with Mint?

Original Poster

To uninstall I had to restore to a previous point so lost work I'd done in the meantime, which wasn't much to be fair.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Virgin Media - what is a good price?612
      2. Need Bright Red Exterior Paint. HELP!!33
      3. Do you turn clothes inside out before washing?1827
      4. Barcelona to Lloreta de mar33

See more discussions