Can I turn down work? (Employment rights for a 4 hour contract)

Found 4th Jun 2015
I am on a 4 hour employment contract at a cinema. I requested various days off due to other commitments but I have been given shifts on these days which is extremely annoying as I have these commitments. They are also forcing me to go to team meeting which last an hour but it will cost me more than I would be paid to go. Can I turn down work?

11 Comments

If they ask you to go to work meetings they have to pay you. If not you have no obligation to go to them. As for the requested days, in my job if you really want a day off you have to book it as holiday, a request is just a request. They can't always be honoured

don't have to go to the team meeting if outside your contract hours
as for the days they want you to work, did you give reasonable notice you were not available? should say in the contract as to what's reasonable.
is it worth the pain, its 4 hours? if you are constantly working overtime, after 13 consecutive weeks, they have to upgrade your contract with the new hours.
any problems, see the local CAB.
good luck

Original Poster

Just for clarification it's 4 hours minimum contract but is effectively a zero hours contract as within my availability I can be scheduled for many shifts

If it's a zero hour contract as you say in your 2nd comment, then yes they can schedule you for whatever shifts they like. If your contract says any day then I'm afraid you can't just tell them you'd like such and such a day off. Like the first reply says in my job I'd have to book with 4 weeks notice if I want a certain day off.

Comment

taffyevans

don't have to go to the team meeting if outside your contract hours as … don't have to go to the team meeting if outside your contract hours as for the days they want you to work, did you give reasonable notice you were not available? should say in the contract as to what's reasonable.is it worth the pain, its 4 hours? if you are constantly working overtime, after 13 consecutive weeks, they have to upgrade your contract with the new hours.any problems, see the local CAB.good luck

Sorry to jump in but You seem to know what your talking about I was contracted 10 hrs week but moved to 15 hr temp contract to be reviewed every 6mth. Since oct 2014 I have been working 17.5 every week more if people off sick should my contract now be 17.5 or stay at 15hrs Tia

boats92

If it's a zero hour contract as you say in your 2nd comment, then yes … If it's a zero hour contract as you say in your 2nd comment, then yes they can schedule you for whatever shifts they like. If your contract says any day then I'm afraid you can't just tell them you'd like such and such a day off. Like the first reply says in my job I'd have to book with 4 weeks notice if I want a certain day off.

Not true.

Zero hours
employer= not obliged to offer any hours.
Employee= not obliged to accept any offer (scheduling on a rota is an offer).

Continued refusal by employee could be deemed as grounds to terminate employment.

So, yes, legally you can turn down work even the day before. But don't expect them to like it!

Original Poster

monogram

Not true.Zero hoursemployer= not obliged to offer any hours.Employee= not … Not true.Zero hoursemployer= not obliged to offer any hours.Employee= not obliged to accept any offer (scheduling on a rota is an offer). Continued refusal by employee could be deemed as grounds to terminate employment.So, yes, legally you can turn down work even the day before. But don't expect them to like it!

I believe this is true but they have told us if we miss one shift we're fired. Also, is it still classed as a zero hour shift as I am guaranteed 4 hours a week

I have a zero hour contract and I can say no to any shifts offered. Manager just contacts me asking what days I can work or if I can do this and this etc.

Edited by: "sweeten16" 5th Jun 2015

monogram

Not true.Zero hoursemployer= not obliged to offer any hours.Employee= not … Not true.Zero hoursemployer= not obliged to offer any hours.Employee= not obliged to accept any offer (scheduling on a rota is an offer). Continued refusal by employee could be deemed as grounds to terminate employment.So, yes, legally you can turn down work even the day before. But don't expect them to like it!

Oh Yeh, of course! Think I'd had one too many glasses of wine!

There is quite a lot going on here. I guess you are not a member of a trades union. You have a right to belong to a trades union and a right not to belong - it is your choice.
Nobody can expect to be an Employment Law expert unless they are qualified and practised for many years.
There are only 2 credible places for you to turn to and this place is not one of them!
One is acas.org.uk.
The other is the Citizens Advice Bureau. They have a very comprehensive web-site and if it does not answer your questions it has details of local offices which you can ring or visit. They are beginning to help people via web-chat and e-mail in some areas.
I picked out one link which may help you but there are others also for you to navigate to.
Work>Rights at work>Contracts of employment

I'm confused a zero hour contract is different to a four hour contract as one u are not guaranteed any hours a week and the other means guaranteed 4hours a week? Can't be both they are completely different. Last time I worked on an 8hour contract if I wanted time off and I had set my availability when I started with them I would have to book leave in advance. They guys on zero hour were given whatever but once u no showed or didn't take the hours offered u were out the door.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants