Groups

can i upgrade from xp to windows 7?

has anyone done this and can it be done?

45 Comments

Yes can be done

Banned

garbage456;5426453

oh sorry another question how long is the install process roughly please?

depends on your PC but my Quad core took about 10-15 mins

upgrade usually takes longer than a clean install.

its easy to do, check your pc has required spec first

should take approx 30 mins

dont upghrade

do a sep install or create a new partition and do it

coz the win 7 will expire and its recommended to install on a sep partition

You are better of with a clean install imo.

Just back up everything you need off your pc first.

Windows 7 is pretty stable too, I don't think I'd use anything else now:thumbsup:

Banned

jtx;5426972

You are better of with a clean install imo.Just back up everything you … You are better of with a clean install imo.Just back up everything you need off your pc first.Windows 7 is pretty stable too, I don't think I'd use anything else now:thumbsup:

when does windows 7 expire? is it better then xp?

It expires in june 2010, at which point you can reload xp or aquire a fully fledged copy of windows 7.

Or you can reinstall every 30 days come june 2010 :whistling:

Yes it's better than xp. It's what vista should have been

]Download it, burn it to disc and then boot from cd. Why not try it for yourself...

Banned

jtx;5427059

It expires in june 2010, at which point you can reload xp or aquire a … It expires in june 2010, at which point you can reload xp or aquire a fully fledged copy of windows 7. Or you can reinstall every 30 days come june 2010 :whistling:Yes it's better than xp. It's what vista should have been

is it worth getting then? i currently use xp, i wanted vista, but i heard about this. is it stable without any glitches or bugs?

seanbwfc;5427083

is it worth getting then? i currently use xp, i wanted vista, but i heard … is it worth getting then? i currently use xp, i wanted vista, but i heard about this. is it stable without any glitches or bugs?

Yes it's stable on my computer and netbook, everything works as it should (wi-fi, sound cards etc)

Plus it's a legal trial from microsoft so no worries about activations etc, until june 2010 of course.

download it from rapidshare,newzbin or torrent as the ms site is slow.

No the M$ maxed my connection. On monday in the morning was hitting 1.3mb im on 10mb net

Don't forget to let us know how you get on with it. I think everyone should give it a try....

MarzBarz;5427150

download it from rapidshare,newzbin or torrent as the ms site is slow.

I downloaded it at top speed!!

Definitely do it, Windows 7 is awesome, even on my laptop which only has a 1.6GHz Celeron processor.

You won't regret it :thumbsup:

Banned

hey, so im downloading windows 7 now, i see its 2.8 gb? i haven't got a disc that big to burn it on to. can i still install it or not?

seanbwfc;5432163

hey, so im downloading windows 7 now, i see its 2.8 gb? i haven't got a … hey, so im downloading windows 7 now, i see its 2.8 gb? i haven't got a disc that big to burn it on to. can i still install it or not?

Yes, if you have a big enough ]USB memory stick

Much easier to go and buy a DVD-RW drive and a couple of discs though!!

Banned

Babbabooey;5432178

Yes, if you have a big enough ]USB memory stickMuch easier to go and buy … Yes, if you have a big enough ]USB memory stickMuch easier to go and buy a DVD-RW drive and a couple of discs though!!

lol don't have 1 of them either, no other way i can this ? other then gettin a big usb stick?

seanbwfc;5432190

lol don't have 1 of them either, no other way i can this ? other then … lol don't have 1 of them either, no other way i can this ? other then gettin a big usb stick?

Nope, I don't think so. Go and buy either a DVD-RW or a USB stick, both around £20.

Banned

Babbabooey;5432212

Nope, I don't think so. Go and buy either a DVD-RW or a USB stick, both … Nope, I don't think so. Go and buy either a DVD-RW or a USB stick, both around £20.

i have a pack of 5 dvd rw discs, they are about 1. something gb each, coudl i use 2 or 3 of them?

You could try splitting across CDs, but I very much doubt it will work.

Banned

ha ha, i found my other discs, they are dvd-r and are 4.7gb each, would 1 of them be ok?

seanbwfc;5432299

ha ha, i found my other discs, they are dvd-r and are 4.7gb each, would 1 … ha ha, i found my other discs, they are dvd-r and are 4.7gb each, would 1 of them be ok?

Yep, you're good to go :thumbsup:

Banned

Babbabooey;5432308

Yep, you're good to go :thumbsup:

Cheers mate! :thumbsup: just burn the iso file onto disc? then boot up from it?

indeed

Banned

Babbabooey;5432321

indeed

Cheers, have you got windows 7? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeah. It's definitely better than Vista, and has some improvements over XP.
    Over all though I still prefer XP, but that is probably because I have used it for so long and everything is second nature to me on there now.

Is it easy to create a partition? Looks a better option so when I want to get rid off it I just remove the partition?

Thinking to install this on my Acer Aspire and Laptop!

SkippyDoo;5433375

Is it easy to create a partition? Looks a better option so when I want to … Is it easy to create a partition? Looks a better option so when I want to get rid off it I just remove the partition?Thinking to install this on my Acer Aspire and Laptop!

You wont want to get rid of it!!!

lol.....that's good...so this version is valid until 2010...So I don't need to buy a license key very soon?

Banned

I'm gonna install it now, i made a 60gb partition and will put it on there. if i like it so much, can i delete the partition with xp or will i have to start from a fresh install?

Banned

can somebody help me? i downloaded the ido file, but when i go to burn it to dvd it wont let me?

What are you burning it with?

Banned

sancho1983;5436919

What are you burning it with?

what you mean? im using a dvd-r 4.2gb disc?

He means what software are you using.

seanbwfc;5432190

lol don't have 1 of them either, no other way i can this ? other then … lol don't have 1 of them either, no other way i can this ? other then gettin a big usb stick?

seanbwfc;5432252

i have a pack of 5 dvd rw discs, they are about 1. something gb each, … i have a pack of 5 dvd rw discs, they are about 1. something gb each, coudl i use 2 or 3 of them?

seanbwfc;5436934

what you mean? im using a dvd-r 4.2gb disc?

Something tells me perhaps you shouldn't be doing this? :thumbsup:

First of all you say you don't have a DVD drive, then you say you have some blank DVDs that are 1GB each. :-D

And yes, I meant what software are you using :?

Banned

sancho1983;5437016

Something tells me perhaps you shouldn't be doing this? :thumbsup:First … Something tells me perhaps you shouldn't be doing this? :thumbsup:First of all you say you don't have a DVD drive, then you say you have some blank DVDs that are 1GB each. :-DAnd yes, I meant what software are you using :?

i have a dvd-rw and i have 5 discs that are 4.2gb each, which is enough i believe? i am trying to copy the file to the dvd drive and burn the iso, but it wont let me?

How ae you trying to copy the file to the DVD?

Alcohol
    Nero
    ISOburn
    drag and drop?

Banned

im using drag and drop, i think what the problem may be is that the dvd rw is not working properly, its not recognising the disc?

Drag and drop wont work for iso files.
    You need a proper burning program.
    The discs you are using are fine.

lol, I only put drag and drop as a joke

Try looking ]here
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. WONGA REFUNDS DUE185924
      2. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio1630
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6571255
      4. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial1015

See more discussions