Can I upgrade/fresh install Android 5.0 by myself?

Found 8th Feb 2016
I bought a cheap chinese phone about 16 months ago called Blackview Crown. Decent specs and for £100
it was a bargain. Android version is 4.4.2. They said they would upgrade to Lollipop in April 2015.
Nothing happened. Last update was in July 2015 to fix issue with the battery draining rapidly.

No updates since. Read about an android threat called stagefright and downloaded an app to check for
it and it came as vulnerable to this threat.

I doubt Blackview will release any update for my phone now as they are selling new phones with
Lollipop but no upgrades for us. Wireless updates says I have the latest update with was July 13 2015.

So can I upgrade or wipe everything and install Lollipop on my on?. I would feel much safer and protected
with the latest android version. Thanks for any replies.
Community Updates
AskAndroid
17 Comments
Have a look here to see if you're device is supported, it's a good source of upgrades, custom ROMs etc: xda-developers.com/
bobdylan

Have a look here to see if you're device is supported, it's a good source … Have a look here to see if you're device is supported, it's a good source of upgrades, custom ROMs etc: http://www.xda-developers.com/

thanks been there but no information on upgrading. I did use that website to root my phone many months ago.
shabbird

thanks been there but no information on upgrading. I did use that website … thanks been there but no information on upgrading. I did use that website to root my phone many months ago.

If there's nothing on there then you're pretty much out of luck I'd say
bobdylan

If there's nothing on there then you're pretty much out of luck I'd say

looks like it.. can't I wipe everything and install a stock android 5.0. Just just installing a
new operating system in a computer. I have no faith this company will release any updates.
shabbird

looks like it.. can't I wipe everything and install a stock android 5.0. … looks like it.. can't I wipe everything and install a stock android 5.0. Just just installing a new operating system in a computer. I have no faith this company will release any updates.

And that there is a very good reason why not to buy a 'cheap chinese phone'. Not a dig at you... but so often people on here bang on about buying these type of phones as you get "so much more for your money" etc. etc.
shabbird

looks like it.. can't I wipe everything and install a stock android 5.0. … looks like it.. can't I wipe everything and install a stock android 5.0. Just just installing a new operating system in a computer. I have no faith this company will release any updates.

Basically no, because like with any 'computer' you will need all the drivers to make it work and where are you gonna get all them from for Lollipop?
bobdylan

Basically no, because like with any 'computer' you will need all the … Basically no, because like with any 'computer' you will need all the drivers to make it work and where are you gonna get all them from for Lollipop?

thanks..will try to contact on facebook but annoying they have new phones but they forget about
their previous phones grrrrrrrr
ipswich78

And that there is a very good reason why not to buy a 'cheap chinese … And that there is a very good reason why not to buy a 'cheap chinese phone'. Not a dig at you... but so often people on here bang on about buying these type of phones as you get "so much more for your money" etc. etc.

lesson learned. My mum got Moto 2nd gen at the same time. And I thought I had a great bargain as similar spec for half the prize. But she has many updates includes lollipop. Looks like my first and last chinese
brand phone.
shabbird

lesson learned. My mum got Moto 2nd gen at the same time. And I thought … lesson learned. My mum got Moto 2nd gen at the same time. And I thought I had a great bargain as similar spec for half the prize. But she has many updates includes lollipop. Looks like my first and last chinese brand phone.

I look at it this way

if you get a really cheap phone it's not just because all the other manufacturers rip you off: it's because they factor in other elements, such as fault tolerance, higher quality circuitry, battery cells and other 'hidden' aspects, as well as the time and money it takes to put together an operating system on a phone and pass it through the FCC.

You can't just install a fresh OS on an Android phone because they're not designed to work that way - the bootloader will probably be locked, and you'd have to assemble drivers and perform low level power management work to get it usable. If it were as easy as just 'flashing Android' then you can bet that devices like the Blackberry Passport would be running Android as we speak.
If you have root, try looking at xposed mods to give you greater security
misterleoni

I look at it this wayif you get a really cheap phone it's not just … I look at it this wayif you get a really cheap phone it's not just because all the other manufacturers rip you off: it's because they factor in other elements, such as fault tolerance, higher quality circuitry, battery cells and other 'hidden' aspects, as well as the time and money it takes to put together an operating system on a phone and pass it through the FCC.You can't just install a fresh OS on an Android phone because they're not designed to work that way - the bootloader will probably be locked, and you'd have to assemble drivers and perform low level power management work to get it usable. If it were as easy as just 'flashing Android' then you can bet that devices like the Blackberry Passport would be running Android as we speak.

The phone is fine and quick but its the update and the security threat that is worrying me.
Thought it might be similar to install an operating system on a computer but I was wrong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/shabbird/Screenshot_2016-02-08-16-42-27_zpscxvku5fw.png

Oh well. I guess nothing much more I can do.
Qrunch

If you have root, try looking at xposed mods to give you greater security

thanks just googled this.. and plenty of information. Will have to read up on this and what I need.
Have a look on needrom.com
Sprograt

Have a look on http://www.needrom.com

thanks.. just went through their roms and most are custom roms but very old and no Android upgrade.
shabbird

As the 1st post said about looking on XDA. Here's the direct link below. Reading through this you can see someone already asked on FB and more or less said they where rubbish and tried to downgrade his rom never mind upgrade. They also have said that the CyanogenMods are not recommended to be installed either. The link says it is a review but if you read through posts you can see instructions on rooting.
On a different note you do know that lollipop is not the latest OS it is Marshmallow.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/blackview-crown-review-5inch-octa-core-t2844265/page37

misterleoni

I look at it this wayif you get a really cheap phone it's not just … I look at it this wayif you get a really cheap phone it's not just because all the other manufacturers rip you off: it's because they factor in other elements, such as fault tolerance, higher quality circuitry, battery cells and other 'hidden' aspects, as well as the time and money it takes to put together an operating system on a phone and pass it through the FCC.You can't just install a fresh OS on an Android phone because they're not designed to work that way - the bootloader will probably be locked, and you'd have to assemble drivers and perform low level power management work to get it usable. If it were as easy as just 'flashing Android' then you can bet that devices like the Blackberry Passport would be running Android as we speak.

Blackberry Passport is running android even Marshmallow.

marshmallow-tips.net/tip…ort
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 8th Feb 2016
cecilmcroberts

As the 1st post said about looking on XDA. Here's the direct link below. … As the 1st post said about looking on XDA. Here's the direct link below. Reading through this you can see someone already asked on FB and more or less said they where rubbish and tried to downgrade his rom never mind upgrade. They also have said that the CyanogenMods are not recommended to be installed either. The link says it is a review but if you read through posts you can see instructions on rooting. On a different note you do know that lollipop is not the latest OS it is Marshmallow. http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/blackview-crown-review-5inch-octa-core-t2844265/page37Blackberry Passport is running android even Marshmallow. http://marshmallow-tips.net/tips-upgrade-update-blackberry-passport

yes I realise that but thought if they were upgrading, it would be to lollipop and not to marshmellow.
Im happy with the phone but seeing that I am vulnerable to that threat, I do want it to get fixed. I have been
waiting for an update for a long time. And looks like the company has moved on and forgot about its previous versions .

This was my first Chinese phone and probably my last. Thanks for the link. I have been there before but will go through again.
If you haven't already, have a read through this thread forum.xda-developers.com/and…500

That won't fix the stagefright bug...but it will disable the stagefright libs and you should get along ok without using them. I know it's not the perfect solution but it's the best you can do without proper update.

If you do go ahead with it I'm sure I don't need to remind you to make backups be careful etc etc
That's what I'd do if I was still running kitkat (at times I wish I was!!)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants