Expired

Can I use 1040 Part Synthetic oil in my car?

Found 18th Oct 2014
My car is really low on oil and I have some in the garage that I bought which I found on here at one point. It's from Halfords and is 1040 part synthetic. Can I put this in my car which is a bmw 1.6 (the little one) ?
Community Updates
AskCar
13 Comments
i dont know what oil is in your car, but using the oil you have wont do any damage. it will certainly be better than having low levels of oil.
ideally use the same kind of oil, but really a small top up of oil wont make a difference.
also, if you are checking your oil, make sure you are on the flat and there has been enough time for the oil to drain for the upper bits of the engine to the sump.

too much oil is bad too
fred box

i dont know what oil is in your car, but using the oil you have wont do … i dont know what oil is in your car, but using the oil you have wont do any damage. it will certainly be better than having low levels of oil.ideally use the same kind of oil, but really a small top up of oil wont make a difference.

Thanks Fred, I will use it. I have no idea what oil is already in it but it's due for a service anyway when I get back from holiday so I am sure they will sort it out for me xxx thanks again
fred box

also, if you are checking your oil, make sure you are on the flat and … also, if you are checking your oil, make sure you are on the flat and there has been enough time for the oil to drain for the upper bits of the engine to the sump.too much oil is bad too

The light came on to tell me it needed oil oO
i dont know if your car has a dip stick, if it does, top the oil up bit at a time, checking the level with the dipstick.

also i would have a quick look to see if there are any obvious leaks.

remember to put the lid back on the oil bit for the engine, otherwise you will end with oil all over the windscreen when you drive next.
1.6 petrol?

116i?

EliTom
fred box

i dont know if your car has a dip stick, if it does, top the oil up bit … i dont know if your car has a dip stick, if it does, top the oil up bit at a time, checking the level with the dipstick.also i would have a quick look to see if there are any obvious leaks. remember to put the lid back on the oil bit for the engine, otherwise you will end with oil all over the windscreen when you drive next.

Thanks for the great tips Fred xxx
elitom

1.6 petrol?116i?EliTom

yes and yes
SunshineStacey

yes and yes

hmmm factory fill is 0w30 fully synthetic

so yes you could use the oil you have as a short term measure but it could cause problems if you use too much

if the oil light is on then you will probably need over 1.5 lites

use what you have and get the car checked - the oil light does not normally come on with this engine unless you have an oil leak

above is assuming new shape 116i (F20)

EliTom
SunshineStacey

I think Fred is referring to you as a dip stick where cars are concerned. … I think Fred is referring to you as a dip stick where cars are concerned. Don't put up with it. 8)Thanks for the great tips Fred xxx

Fully synthethic only for bmws

yeah use 0-40 or 5-30/5-40 fully synthethic.
What most people don't realise is if the oil light comes on the internal damage has already been done as the light is not based on the oil level but pressure meaning low oil = low pressure which is starving engine parts of oil
Firstly, just for the pistonheads out there - mineral oil and synthetic oil can be mixed, in fact, semi-synthetic (sometimes called part-synthetic) oil is often a blend of synthetic and modern mineral oils (regular oil). If you have a very old can of mineral oil (older than 10 years) then it may cause problems with seals on newer engines, but oils made in the last decade are fine. In fact many oils sold as ''synthetic'' are actually mineral oils with additives and almost all part or semi synthetic oils are mineral based. These are all well discussed and known facts and can easily be researched on sites such as pistonheads, etc. Some will argue that your warranty will be affected by using a different engine oil, but that's utter tosh and could never be proved.

It is also no more important in an emergency, to add the correct grade of oil - in the case of your BMW, that is 0w30. The numbers refer to the thickness of the oil at cold temperatures/hot operating temperatures and the cranking capacity and the science of it is very boring (example site here oil grades
That said, it is important to not constantly run your car with the incorrect grade. Those numbers are important over the long term and using an incorrect grade will over time cause excessive engine wear. So top up if necessary with 10/40 but don't fill it, just use enough. Keep the remainder and use occasionally as a top up but regularly top up with 0/30

Even that is nowhere near as important as running your car with the correct level of oil, neither over-filled nor too low.
Over filled and you can blow seals etc and under filled, arghh, yes you can cause major damage.
Do not ever ignore an oil pressure warning light though
But an oil pressure light does not mean low oil either, but rather low oil pressure, and an oil pressure light needs investigation to protect you against possible engine damage and some serious repair bills. It is incorrect to state that the damage is already done but it could be assumed that damage may already be happening. An oil light coming on is deliberately coloured yellow to indicate that investigation is needed.

So in your situation, of purely needing to top up your oil because it is low on the dip-stick is simply resolved by using that bottle/can of 10 40 semi-synthetic but only as little as necessary and get some 0/30 in future and I personally would buy the fully synthetic as rather than dull the science, your engine is designed for it, and over the life of the engine, you will achieve better economy, have lower emissions and suffer less wear, but seriously, it is not a problem adding mineral oil occasionally. Keep up the great work with those holiday finds and save us all a fortune. Thanks Stacey

p.s sorry that i couldn't help add my tuppence worth earlier but only just got back from a long road trip and saw this

Edited by: "Bugeyed" 25th Oct 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants