Can i use a 2nd wireless router to extend the range of my first and if so how?

Hi
I currently have a wireless router connected which works fine but would like to extend the range to work upstairs and outside. From previous projects i have a netgear wireless router currently in retirement. Is there a way of using this as a wireless extender and if so how do i do it
Thanks in advance
n

9 Comments

Yeah you can do it, just need to change a couple of settings. I was trying to access my router as I typed this so I could tell you what they are, but can't remember what our password is! Ooops. It can be done though!

On the second router see if you can set it up as a Repeater. Then give it access to the main router (this should be under the repeaters section) and it should work.

Rb

Original Poster

trying to use netgear dg834g as the second router can't find anything about repeaters but thanks for info so far will keep playing
n

A1: Yes!
A2: No idea!

Original Poster

lol
thanks
n

Whats your primary router? have you thought about seeing if the primary has a repeater section and using the secondary one as a primary?

Rb

Easiest way is to put a wire between them (standard Ethernet). Getting them to do the same thing over wireless is a bit more complicated.

It is usually referred to as wireless bridging/repeater in the routers set-up pages. Which you access via 192.168.0.1 or whatever you router is using, could be 1.1 or 1.254 or 0.254, those are the usually addresses.

I have never set one up using two modem routers before though, I have one set-up now but it is using an Ethernet cable, just plug and play (no settings need to be changed for it to work).

Original Poster

so does just double the router make for a better signal or do the two need to be spread around the house but connected by cable?

You need to log into your spare router and change it to wireless access point.
That should work.
However just your one router should have that kind of reach without extending
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. hOW SHOCKED WERE YOU AT THE GLASGOW FRUIT MARKET CONFLAGRATION??910
    2. Pink Balls12
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846095
    4. Now TV CODES - Free Sky Entertainment/Kids/Cinema/Sports1016

See more discussions