Groups

Can i use a ps4 controller wirelessly with steam ?

I have read steam supports ps4 controllers using a generic bluetooth device but i cant find out how to actually do it. Can anybody walk me through this as i cant work it out or does it even work.

Ive bought a bluetooth dongle although when i plugged it in my keyboard stopped working. (not sure why i bought another?)
    I have a first gen ps4 controller which i understand is can be charged with a cable but not used as a wired controller like the second version.
    Im tempted to forget about my PS4 consule due to the price of psplus and just use my pc, then things like this remind me why i bought a consule.

12 Comments

Have you held both the Share button and PS Button down while your PC is searching? once found choose to pair and enter 0000 as the code. I just done it on mine and that's how I did it.

I have exact same issue. so frustrating.

benji3000

I have exact same issue. so frustrating.

Is the keyboard wireless or wired?

Original Poster

briankins

Is the keyboard wireless or wired?

​wireless, I tried connecting to that. I need very concise instructions to use with steam. I can try the new dongle again but they are both Bluetooth dongles. I enabled ps4 control something in big picture. held share and ps button.that's as far as I got.
    Edited by: "Denbi" 20th Jan

you need to have a program called ds4 installed, go into settings and tick the 'hide ds4'
    press the share and ps button and go onto the bluetooth settings and pair with the pad, the codeto use is 0000
    windows should connect with the pad and there you have it.

Use ds4windows.com basically makes ur ps4 controller appear as xbox controller works very well.

Ive not opened mine yet to see, hope its not a pain

Original Poster

donbarney

you need to have a program called ds4 installed, go into settings and … you need to have a program called ds4 installed, go into settings and tick the 'hide ds4'press the share and ps button and go onto the bluetooth settings and pair with the pad, the codeto use is 0000windows should connect with the pad and there you have it.

​i seen ds4 program but thought that was a complicated alternate to using steam ? I imagine that was like xpadder type setup rather than just plug in and go. that's a shame , I thought I could just use a dongle and steam with no hassle.

denbi, it's no hassle at all. you don't even need to install anything. you just open ds4 tool and plug in your controller. THAT'S IT!

Original Poster

mnc221

denbi, it's no hassle at all. you don't even need to install anything. … denbi, it's no hassle at all. you don't even need to install anything. you just open ds4 tool and plug in your controller. THAT'S IT!​

I opened ds4 and installed drivers. I couldnt get anything from my keyboard universal dongle , so i plugged in my usb bluetooth dongle I just bought and paired it with the ps4 controller. It paired twice , once as ps4 controller and once as generic controller. Iit appears as generic on the pc conected devices. Unfortunatly it doesnt appear to be working via bluetooth, i can only play steam gamrs if i connect the usb cable. So im still stuck with a wired controller. I have my xbox 360 wireless controller working but prefer the ps4 controller.
    Any suggestions to get the Ps4 controller working without the cable ?

Edited by: "Denbi" 20th Jan

Denbi

I opened ds4 and installed drivers. I couldnt get anything from my … I opened ds4 and installed drivers. I couldnt get anything from my keyboard universal dongle , so i plugged in my usb bluetooth dongle I just bought and paired it with the ps4 controller. It paired twice , once as ps4 controller and once as generic controller. Iit appears as generic on the pc conected devices. Unfortunatly it doesnt appear to be working via bluetooth, i can only play steam gamrs if i connect the usb cable. So im still stuck with a wired controller. I have my xbox 360 wireless controller working but prefer the ps4 controller. Any suggestions to get the Ps4 controller working without the cable ?

​what I done was I held ps+share button and then paired to my PC via Bluetooth settings. Once it paired the controller LED was white. After that I just ran DS4 Windows in admin mode and it paired.

Original Poster

mnc221

​what I done was I held ps+share button and then paired to my PC via B … ​what I done was I held ps+share button and then paired to my PC via Bluetooth settings. Once it paired the controller LED was white. After that I just ran DS4 Windows in admin mode and it paired.

Ok ill have to give it another go. Thanks for feed back everybody.
    Decided to renew my ps4 plus again so will have to make use of the ps4 more than i have been.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767493
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)64492
      3. One thing you've forgotten1619
      4. Bearded chat510

See more discussions