Can I use a USB 3.0 external hard drive in a USB 1.0?

Found 30th Sep 2012
Hiya Okay so I don't REALLY know what I'm talking about but I want to get my Dad an external hard drive for Christmas.

Found this one;

groupon.co.uk/dea…419

But he has a fairly old laptop and my brother said that his USB ports would only be 1.0. Can I still use this hard drive in them??

Thank you!!

8 Comments

What does he plan to put on the hard drive?

Original Poster

Pictures, music, documents, things like that

Yes, USB 3 devices will work if plugged in to USB 1 port, although you will get a warning message when you plug the device in, warning you that the device won't work at optimal speed. USB devices work at the slower of the device/port version.

Original Poster

Ah, so basically, it will work, but only at USB 1.0 speed? Thanks so much

choccyswirlgirl

Ah, so basically, it will work, but only at USB 1.0 speed?

Correct

choccyswirlgirl

Pictures, music, documents, things like that

If he only has a computer with USB 1.0, it's unlikely he will have a hard drive that he needs to transfer 150GB's worrth of material.

Original Poster

thesaint

If he only has a computer with USB 1.0, it's unlikely he will have a hard … If he only has a computer with USB 1.0, it's unlikely he will have a hard drive that he needs to transfer 150GB's worrth of material.

I know, but me and my brother will help him fill it (don't tell my Dad that though X) !!!) Thanks guys

USB 1 speed is incredibly slow, you'll only be able to transfer data at about 1MB per second. Yes the drive will work, but even copying something like a handful of MP3s will be unbearable. Based on the age of the laptop it probably has a PCMCIA slot, which is more than likely unused. You could pick up a USB 2.0 card for probably not more than a tenner. If you can tell me the manufacturer and model number of the laptop I'd be happy to look it up or you and find something compatible.
Post a comment
@
    Text