Can I use a VPN on a mobile phone and tether?

Found 7th Aug 2017
Hi all.

I'm hoping to start using a VPN and after looking I seem to be left with the impression that I can't use a VPN and tether wirelessly ( maybe via USB tether but not wireless,) . Can anyone confirm this for me? Cheers,
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Where did you buy yours from? I guess we all need a vpn
Original Poster
Misslovely1 h, 57 m ago

Where did you buy yours from? I guess we all need a vpn

I've not bought one yet. When I was looking I came some that included android ( is my phone) but then I came across information that said that if using the VPN it would not be able to use as a hotspot, although maybe by USB tethering. I don't want to USB tether, I want to wirelessly tether is a hotspot. If you are looking for VPN's and cheaply I've came across a site called stack social that offers lifetime of maybe two or three years for very cheap although I can't vouch for the quality. If you search on here for VPN then there's many posts about VPN's, what to look for in a VPN etc.
It's not possible one overrules the other I'm afraid.
Just tether as normal then VPN what ever device your connecting throug it.
Original Poster
BarmyBulldog22 h, 19 m ago

It's not possible one overrules the other I'm afraid.

Ok, thanks for the confirmation.

zirk11 h, 28 m ago

Just tether as normal then VPN what ever device your connecting throug it.

Ok, thanks. I'll look into it.
Not a problem for me. Using android, I can fire up the VPN and share out the wifi to my devices. Traffic is routed over the VPN.

Pops
Original Poster
popolou15 h, 16 m ago

Not a problem for me. Using android, I can fire up the VPN and share out …Not a problem for me. Using android, I can fire up the VPN and share out the wifi to my devices. Traffic is routed over the VPN. Pops

Ok. Do you know if this is with any VPN or with specific one? What VPN are you using to successfully tether? Cheers, Steve.
Haven't tried many but I've seen this behaviour whilst using VyprVPN and their app. IIRC, the inbuilt vpn functionality doesn't allow this.
Original Poster
popolou4 h, 24 m ago

Haven't tried many but I've seen this behaviour whilst using VyprVPN and …Haven't tried many but I've seen this behaviour whilst using VyprVPN and their app. IIRC, the inbuilt vpn functionality doesn't allow this.

So it requires the separate app rather than the standard android app for VPN?
stec7710th Aug

So it requires the separate app rather than the standard android app for …So it requires the separate app rather than the standard android app for VPN?

Seems so. i suspect VyprVPN adds itself as the main gateway thereby routing all traffic through it.

Pops
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants