Can I use the Freedom of Information Act to see if a car dealership was trading during the lockdown restrictions?

Posted 24th Jun
Hi All

Not a HUKD topic as such but just wanted to know if I can I use the Freedom of Information Act to see if a car dealership was trading during the lockdown restrictions?

From April all car dealerships that were selling cars had to close and because of that I wasn't able to return a faulty car I bought from them second hand. Now they are open again I was told that the dealership was open all this time and I have passed the 30 days to return the car for a full refund.

I wanted to know if I can use this act to see if the dealership had been trading (selling cars or where even open) from April to June. I am in touch with Trading Standards and Citizen Advice Bereua but they couldn't answer this question for me.

Have tried on google but it only shows things about FOI for local authorities?

Any help would be great or if you know a better place to ask this question then that would be great too.

Waqas
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
I don’t think it applies to private companies
no you cant
Whats wrong with the car? Fault might be a simple fix, or if you paid £2k for a 5 series then you'd expect issues. I'd expect faults if it was new though. ha.
Edited by: "MrKrabs" 24th Jun
@tiki3471 : if you notified the trader of your rejection within the 30 days there should be no issue. Do you have any credible record of your rejection within that 30 days period?
non essential services including car dealership were locked down from 23rd March - get them to tell you in writing they didnt abide by lockdown - most companies sent emails out i.e 'a message from our CEO' or would have updates on website as to news for new / existing customers ....in circumstances the least you should have done is written email or letter recorded delivery / have call logs to indicate your intent to exercise return
Did you try and contact them when there was a fault? Or at least leave a message within the 30 days. Most companies still had people on phones...
if they say they were open like above ask for this in writing so you can inform authorities that might scare them into fixing car... it will all come down to small print...
joebham25/06/2020 00:08

non essential services including car dealership were locked down from 23rd …non essential services including car dealership were locked down from 23rd March - get them to tell you in writing they didnt abide by lockdown - most companies sent emails out i.e 'a message from our CEO' or would have updates on website as to news for new / existing customers ....in circumstances the least you should have done is written email or letter recorded delivery / have call logs to indicate your intent to exercise return

I asked for an email address from them but they never sent it to me. I have a list of my conversations with them (on whatsapp) about the fault (and was repaired twice too but still came up) which is why I wanted to return the car. The reason I was asking is because they told me on 2nd April that the garage/dealership was closed for covid but on 1st June when restrictions were lifted and he answered my call he told me that they had been open during the lockdown period???
Bargainhead25/06/2020 05:09

Did you try and contact them when there was a fault? Or at least leave a …Did you try and contact them when there was a fault? Or at least leave a message within the 30 days. Most companies still had people on phones...if they say they were open like above ask for this in writing so you can inform authorities that might scare them into fixing car... it will all come down to small print...

Contacted them on whatsapp, tried calling too. Had the car for 3 weeks and had the same fault on 3 occassions and went in for repair twice too. Have now done the letter of complaint, letter of rejection and yesterday the letter for action before court.

Just wanted to know if there was any way I could ask and get proof that the dealership was open during lockdown and was then deliberately ignoring my calls or not replying to my messages.
tiki347125/06/2020 06:02

Contacted them on whatsapp, tried calling too. Had the car for 3 weeks and …Contacted them on whatsapp, tried calling too. Had the car for 3 weeks and had the same fault on 3 occassions and went in for repair twice too. Have now done the letter of complaint, letter of rejection and yesterday the letter for action before court. Just wanted to know if there was any way I could ask and get proof that the dealership was open during lockdown and was then deliberately ignoring my calls or not replying to my messages.

Like I say ask them for it in writing or email if they were open, the either drop themselves init or will have to fix...
most business that closed would be claiming business rates relief also so could ask for date they applied for this - C19 brought in loads of new regs so what was before may be possible now - there may be a register of relief claimed for all i know
Please have a look here on the situation regarding Covid-19. In short some used car dealers may not give accurate advice in the hope you go away and they can dissolve their responsibilities.

gov.uk/gov…nds

Your rights on a used car-
citizensadvice.org.uk/con…ar/

Hope this is some help.
E_T_C25/06/2020 15:49

Please have a look here on the situation regarding Covid-19. In short …Please have a look here on the situation regarding Covid-19. In short some used car dealers may not give accurate advice in the hope you go away and they can dissolve their responsibilities. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cma-to-investigate-concerns-about-cancellation-policies-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic/the-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic-consumer-contracts-cancellation-and-refundsYour rights on a used car- https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/buying-or-repairing-a-car/problems-with-a-used-car/Hope this is some help.

Thanks for this.
Thanks to all who have commented.
They weren't legally able to sell cars - if they have a garage then that was allowed to be open but not for car sales.
You have 6 months under the sale of goods act for them to rectify the problem, 3 strikes and they are out.

We bought a used car from a trader not a dealership, it developed faults which could not be fixed by the main dealership after 3 attempts (Citroen), we demanded our money back and they eventually obliged as the law was on our side.
Edited by: "GlitchFace" 25th Jun
GlitchFace25/06/2020 18:08

You have 6 months under the sale of goods act for them to rectify the …You have 6 months under the sale of goods act for them to rectify the problem, 3 strikes and they are out.We bought a used car from a trader not a dealership, it developed faults which could not be fixed by the main dealership after 3 attempts (Citroen), we demanded our money back and they eventually obliged as the law was on our side.

Thanks for this. I think the sales of goods act has changed to the consumer rights act 2015 which is the way I am going forward.
Post a comment
@
    Text