Can I use UBER UK in America to acces UBER AMERICA?

Found 2nd Apr 2017
Hello,

I am travelling to LA in May and the cheapest way to get around appears to be by UBER.

Does anyone know how I would be able to use UBER? Has anyone tried?

Would I need to open a new account when there or can I use my account or this just not possible?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Yep works fine. Have used it in Vegas and Minneapolis no problem. It just charges your card as the local currency of the Uber you are taking
maui

Yep works fine. Have used it in Vegas and Minneapolis no problem. It just … Yep works fine. Have used it in Vegas and Minneapolis no problem. It just charges your card as the local currency of the Uber you are taking

​so does that make it expensive do u get charged extra fees from the card company.
Yep. Best to get a Halifax or Post office card or any card which has no charges registered to your account.
Yep whatever fees your card issuer charges apply. If you want to avoid that have a look at pre-paid travel cards.
Even if you have a card that charges fees the exchange rate you'll get will be roughly in par with the rate you'll get for exchanging cash on the high st.
Original Poster
Thank you
Works fine, but I wanted to pay cash, which is apparently not possible (though it is more or less obligatory in Mumbai).
I haven't used a card for a long time abroad they charge extortionate amounts per transaction don't they so would be expensive if the fares say 5 quid and charges for using card another 2-3 quid whereas if u too out 250 the charge would be same 2-3 quid or does it work differently these days.
MynameisM

I haven't used a card for a long time abroad they charge extortionate … I haven't used a card for a long time abroad they charge extortionate amounts per transaction don't they so would be expensive if the fares say 5 quid and charges for using card another 2-3 quid whereas if u too out 250 the charge would be same 2-3 quid or does it work differently these days.

thats why ppl already stated in this thread to use a card that has no charges for using overseas

Edited by: "Infractionboi" 3rd Apr 2017
Another app that is worth using is LYFT. We used it rather than uber, as there was people handing out flyers on almost every corner with $50 vouchers. We also spoke to the drivers who said they preferred driving for LYFT as the app gives a more accurate location for the pickup. It also gives the option to tip at the end of the ride, which I was happy to use if the driver helped with bags etc.

Just remember you need data or wifi to initially call the uber/lyft.
I'll also vouch for Lyft. I think it's only recently that it's been possible to register a UK number to be able to use in USA, but their customer service is helpful and there are loads of codes for $5 off your first 10 rides. Despite using a UK number, drivers were still able to call me and confirm pickup.
I have used Uber loads of times in the USA without a problem. I always tip a dollar or two in cash as a tip.
Original Poster
Can you use the pick up service like they do here as I don't normally call. They just come when you pick the pick up point online?
CJ1991

Can you use the pick up service like they do here as I don't normally … Can you use the pick up service like they do here as I don't normally call. They just come when you pick the pick up point online?

If there is a pick-up location where you are wanting the pickup from - yes you can, usually these are at airports or large hotels. Otherwise you pin your location on the map for the driver to be able to locate you.

Bear in mind that most airports in the US have a dislike to ride sharing - and have a dedicated area a fair walk from the terminal (usually an area in the car park). The Uber drivers are not allowed to use the drop-off lanes to pick you up.
Edited by: "maui" 3rd Apr 2017
CJ1991

Can you use the pick up service like they do here as I don't normally … Can you use the pick up service like they do here as I don't normally call. They just come when you pick the pick up point online?

Sorry, didn't mean to say 'call', yes its the same as here.
I know this is an old thread, but when we use Uber in Usa, we buy gift cards to put on the account. No transaction fees and no need to put credit card details on.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants