Can I wash a jumper at 60 degrees?

Found 9th Nov 2017
I have a jumper that is loose fitting and I would like to make it a tighter fitting. I am thinking that if I wash it at 60 degrees in the washing machine it will shrink right?

Do you think this is going to be OK?
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
I wouldn't risk it it can ruin the jumper, once I shrunk one by popping it in the dryer checking it regularly and only taking away the dampness helped, it all depends on the material, wool I'd leave alone
elainep6 m ago

I wouldn't risk it it can ruin the jumper, once I shrunk one by popping it …I wouldn't risk it it can ruin the jumper, once I shrunk one by popping it in the dryer checking it regularly and only taking away the dampness helped, it all depends on the material, wool I'd leave alone

elainep6 m ago

I wouldn't risk it it can ruin the jumper, once I shrunk one by popping it …I wouldn't risk it it can ruin the jumper, once I shrunk one by popping it in the dryer checking it regularly and only taking away the dampness helped, it all depends on the material, wool I'd leave alone

it's 100% acrylic. we don't have a dryer. i was thinking maybe i could also put it in the bath and fill the bath tub with hot water as this shrunk my jeans to a limited extent when i wanted to shrink the jeans.
Edited by: "mutley1" 9th Nov 2017
Was it expensive? I'd say to find out just give it a try on a hot wash but look on google first. If it didn't cost much then try and it won't matter if it makes it bigger and saggy/misshapen.
Acrylic stretches rather than shrinks when heated - part of the reason it was invented.
The colour might run at bit at higher temperature with some products but it looks like most washing machines can't get 60c in the first place

which.co.uk/rev…60c
LeahsMintytoutou3 h, 46 m ago

Was it expensive? I'd say to find out just give it a try on a hot wash but …Was it expensive? I'd say to find out just give it a try on a hot wash but look on google first. If it didn't cost much then try and it won't matter if it makes it bigger and saggy/misshapen.

no it was not expensive but i don't like most clothes so i spend a lot of time looking for clothes and often there is never anything i like so when i do buy clothes, i value them and want to keep them as they are so rare!

i have older acrylic jumpers that i could live without, so i could chuck one in first and see what happens before i attempt my nice one.
Pandamansays3 h, 22 m ago

Acrylic stretches rather than shrinks when heated - part of the reason it …Acrylic stretches rather than shrinks when heated - part of the reason it was invented.

really? i thought all material shrinks with heat.
Wouldn't your washing machine be in danger of falling over, if set to 60 degrees?
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell1 m ago

Wouldn't your washing machine be in danger of falling over, if set to 60 …Wouldn't your washing machine be in danger of falling over, if set to 60 degrees?

lol. hadn't thought of that.
mutley11 h, 18 m ago

really? i thought all material shrinks with heat.

When washed in hot water, garments made of wool and cotton tend to shrink. But acrylic doesn’t respond to washing and drying temperatures the same way that natural fibers do. Instead of shrinking, the synthetic material actually stretches when facing high temperatures. Rather than trying to shrink an acrylic sweater, you may be better off exchanging it at the store for a smaller size or tailoring it to fit properly.

Link to article here. Acrylic jumpers
mrty5 m ago

When washed in hot water, garments made of wool and cotton tend to shrink. …When washed in hot water, garments made of wool and cotton tend to shrink. But acrylic doesn’t respond to washing and drying temperatures the same way that natural fibers do. Instead of shrinking, the synthetic material actually stretches when facing high temperatures. Rather than trying to shrink an acrylic sweater, you may be better off exchanging it at the store for a smaller size or tailoring it to fit properly.Link to article here. Acrylic jumpers

I googled shrinking acrylic after panda said it actually expands and read this. Guess i best not go down that route
mutley114 h, 47 m ago

no it was not expensive but i don't like most clothes so i spend a lot of …no it was not expensive but i don't like most clothes so i spend a lot of time looking for clothes and often there is never anything i like so when i do buy clothes, i value them and want to keep them as they are so rare!i have older acrylic jumpers that i could live without, so i could chuck one in first and see what happens before i attempt my nice one.

Could you take it to be taken in a little bit, or if your any good at sewing try it yourself? Don't try it in the washer if it's one you really like. I think your best bet would be to take it in at the seams a little
Just a thought, but if it did shrink, what's to say it'll shrink consistently across the garment? Wouldn't the expanse of fabric across the torso shrink more than the collar or the sleeves, causing it to become misshapen?
LeahsMintytoutou4 h, 4 m ago

Could you take it to be taken in a little bit, or if your any good at …Could you take it to be taken in a little bit, or if your any good at sewing try it yourself? Don't try it in the washer if it's one you really like. I think your best bet would be to take it in at the seams a little

i bought myself a sewing machine earlier this year to learn to sew and really love it. i am getting pretty good at it. i did not think you could sew a jumper as i thought it was all wool or acrylic so you had to knit (and i can not knit) but now that you mention it, i have looked at my jumper and by jeez, it is sewn, lol.

great idea. i will have a look at changing the sewing. thanks
mutley19 m ago

i bought myself a sewing machine earlier this year to learn to sew and …i bought myself a sewing machine earlier this year to learn to sew and really love it. i am getting pretty good at it. i did not think you could sew a jumper as i thought it was all wool or acrylic so you had to knit (and i can not knit) but now that you mention it, i have looked at my jumper and by jeez, it is sewn, lol.great idea. i will have a look at changing the sewing. thanks

No problem, good luck with it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants