Expired

Can Labour ever hope to be elected with the current leadership?

Found 19th Feb
Despite exceeding expectations in the 2017 General Election, do Labour supporters feel that there remains a realistic chance of ever winning with Corbyn and McDonnell at the helm? The cumulative effect of revelations in recent days of fraternising with Czech spies, along with the more well-established links such as being in the pay of Iranian associates, IRA connections, Venezuelan economic and social aspirations, the persistent undercurrent of anti-semitism, the latest allegations of bullying breaking cover again over weekend ..... the list goes on.

Having had a shock to the system in June 2017, it is hard to imagine a Conservative election campaign ever allowing for such aspects to not be more effectively exposed to influence the sensible majority of the British electorate. Despite him being completely safe to continue in his position as Shadow Leader due to McCluskey / Momentum support and protection, is continued opposition and impotent protest really enough for Labour supporters? They have got themselves into a bit of a mess, as the internal structures are now set up to only allow for candidates with similarly unelectable profiles to take up the reins.

The Conservatives are also in a mess of course, but their options and avenues moving forward seem more varied and electorally favourable for the future.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
rogparki2 h, 1 m ago

YES - with the gullible, happy flappy snowflake youth ( who have never …YES - with the gullible, happy flappy snowflake youth ( who have never suffered under disastrous Labour economic policies) voting Labour - as their mates think its "cool"

Not being funny, Rog, but you are the absolute last person to be labelling anyone as a “snowflake” with the amount of rants you have regarding anything from videogames to having an active dislike for this website and it’s mods (yet you still come on here regularly).

I believe this is the Tories’ 8th year in Parliament since the last Labour leadership. So these “snowflakes” you refer to, do you mean 7-8 year olds?
83 Comments
Realistically, there's no chance of anyone left of "right of centre" of getting into power in the short to medium term in this country given the composition of the mainstream media and it's stranglehold on opinions for much of the voting age population.
YES - with the gullible, happy flappy snowflake youth ( who have never suffered under disastrous Labour economic policies) voting Labour - as their mates think its "cool"
I will vote for Corbyn.
Of course there is they came within a whisker of being able to form a government just last year.
Wongy1104 m ago

Of course there is they came within a whisker of being able to form a …Of course there is they came within a whisker of being able to form a government just last year.

Against a historically bad Tory party with an atrocious leadership. If they can't beat that then they won't ever win under the current leadership.

Sadly this incompetent Tory party is opposed by an even more incompetent and financially reckless Labour party.

Labour need to move to the right, appeal to middle class aspiration and leave the likes of Corbyn behind. Sadly they'll stick with him, lose and the Tories will gut public services starting with the abolition of the NHS as we know it.
I dont think a hard left party will get the nod at an election just yet but the Tories seem to be trying their hardest to make it happen, i am not one for conspiracy theories but i cant believe the Tory party are this bad accidentally, its as though they are actively constructing their own demise.

After all the talk about Rees-Mogg becoming leader i thought that would be the final nail, but listening to him on his LBC programme i am impressed, he is very astute and if the electorate can get over his "poshness" i could see him becoming PM in the not to distant future, i would rather him than Boris for sure.
Banned
It's incredible how the fact Corbyn is totally unelectable is blamed on the media.

How about Labour/Momentun realising that the population actually doesn't like him or his politics because thats really how they feel?

The truth hurts, but by being in constant denial maybe Momentun then get to avoid the pain of that truth.
Edited by: "Dilithium" 19th Feb
coys6715 m ago

I dont think a hard left party will get the nod at an election just yet …I dont think a hard left party will get the nod at an election just yet but the Tories seem to be trying their hardest to make it happen, i am not one for conspiracy theories but i cant believe the Tory party are this bad accidentally, its as though they are actively constructing their own demise.After all the talk about Rees-Mogg becoming leader i thought that would be the final nail, but listening to him on his LBC programme i am impressed, he is very astute and if the electorate can get over his "poshness" i could see him becoming PM in the not to distant future, i would rather him than Boris for sure.

His "poshness" doesn't bother me, his voting record does though.
coys6716 m ago

I dont think a hard left party will get the nod at an election just yet …I dont think a hard left party will get the nod at an election just yet but the Tories seem to be trying their hardest to make it happen, i am not one for conspiracy theories but i cant believe the Tory party are this bad accidentally, its as though they are actively constructing their own demise.After all the talk about Rees-Mogg becoming leader i thought that would be the final nail, but listening to him on his LBC programme i am impressed, he is very astute and if the electorate can get over his "poshness" i could see him becoming PM in the not to distant future, i would rather him than Boris for sure.

His poshness is an issue more than his views on women's rights, gay rights and the rights of the disabled?
Dilithium6 m ago

It's incredible how the fact Corbyn is totally unelectable is blamed on …It's incredible how the fact Corbyn is totally unelectable is blamed on the media. How about Labour/Momentun realising that the population actually doesn't like him or his politics because thats really how they feel?The truth hurts, but by being in constant denial maybe Momentun then get to avoid the pain of that truth.

You edited and still got Momentum wrong twice
Banned
CoeK2 m ago

You edited and still got Momentum wrong twice

You should have seen the other word I misspelt!
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals18 m ago

His poshness is an issue more than his views on women's rights, gay rights …His poshness is an issue more than his views on women's rights, gay rights and the rights of the disabled?

Yep, i think in large sections of the population especially those of a certain age, working class, ex-Labour supporters who were swayed by UKIP, those traits in a politician while maybe not applauded (publicly at least) would certainly be, if not forgiven then glossed over, while poshness could be seen as being up there with communism in the eyes of many imo.
rogparki2 h, 1 m ago

YES - with the gullible, happy flappy snowflake youth ( who have never …YES - with the gullible, happy flappy snowflake youth ( who have never suffered under disastrous Labour economic policies) voting Labour - as their mates think its "cool"

Not being funny, Rog, but you are the absolute last person to be labelling anyone as a “snowflake” with the amount of rants you have regarding anything from videogames to having an active dislike for this website and it’s mods (yet you still come on here regularly).

I believe this is the Tories’ 8th year in Parliament since the last Labour leadership. So these “snowflakes” you refer to, do you mean 7-8 year olds?
While I don’t think Labour under Corbyn will win a general outright I suspect the end result of the next election would be some sort of Liberal/Labour coalition.

Last June they threw everything at Corbyn and the Tories still couldn’t muster up a majority against him. He is a force that the conservatives cannot match along with momentum – the conservatives are a dieing party, dwindling membership, little or no activists and a youth wing plagued by damaging sleaze leaky elitist Whatsapp chatter. Even if people hate Corbyn they’ll still vote Labour due to party loyalty – that’s a fact. The Tories epic mishandling of brexit will be their ultimate downfall that along with keeping an absolute joke of a leader in office.

Take today for instance, May was grilled by Holly and Phil on this morning, they had her on the ropes in another car-crash interview. It never ends.

Also, all this rubbish about JC being a Soviet Spy in the 80’s, I would take that with a large pinch of salt. The right wing press are clutching at straws in my opinion, why would the Russians bother with someone like JC who was until recently regarded as a joke, just another diversion tactic to take the heat from the Tory pantomime. Links with the IRA, Hamas and now the KGB - whatever next..........
CoeK1 h, 4 m ago

His "poshness" doesn't bother me, his voting record does though.

Yep. The bloke shouldn’t be anywhere near the front bench, let alone as the PM. He’s an outdated dinosaur of a bygone era.

If he ever manages to take the role of Prime Minister then it’s further proof that this country is going backwards and destroying itself in my opinion.
Original Poster
freakstyler36 m ago

Last June they threw everything at Corbyn and the Tories still couldn’t m …Last June they threw everything at Corbyn and the Tories still couldn’t muster up a majority against him.....

This is one of my points. Has his best chance, however it didn't appear so before the campaign, passed him by? He won't get such an easy ride if there is a next time for him, as he has now given cause for concern electorally, and will not be taken so lightly again.

freakstyler36 m ago

.... Links with the IRA, Hamas and now the KGB - whatever next..........

That is a good question. A very, good question.
What we probably need is a new party that occupies the centre ground. This country hasn't elected a left wing party in decades ago labour can't win, and I'd much prefer the Tories didn't.

I think the opportunity could arise as Brexit gets worse.
As long as the Conservatives don't win at the next election, i'm not particularly bothered who wins (oh except maybe the green party)
I actually would like the NHS to still be here in 25 years time - not completely shut down and privatized as the Tories are desperately trying to do.
The only party close to knocking them out of power is Labour, and they are far from perfect, but at least they would actually allow public services to function and not put them in a chokehold.

i'd love for one of the minor parties to gain major popularity as i don't really like Labour and i cannot abide the Conservatives. Unfortunately 90% of the country follow the same rut and this is why we get shafted year-on-year.

The conservatives are still riding on Cameron's propaganda of making the gullible believe that crippled public services and Austerity are for the best. Furthermore, they are being driven by a leader who never wanted brexit in the first place, and has no clue on what she is doing whatsoever. She is winging it and hoping for the best - a disasterous combination.
Edited by: "118luke" 19th Feb
Unlikely, However the Millennials are/have reached voting age, Once they become the majority then the Tories won't get many votes unless they adapt.
118luke30 m ago

As long as the Conservatives don't win at the next election, i'm not …As long as the Conservatives don't win at the next election, i'm not particularly bothered who wins (oh except maybe the green party) I actually would like the NHS to still be here in 25 years time - not completely shut down and privatized as the Tories are desperately trying to do.The only party close to knocking them out of power is Labour, and they are far from perfect, but at least they would actually allow public services to function and not put them in a chokehold. i'd love for one of the minor parties to gain major popularity as i don't really like Labour and i cannot abide the Conservatives. Unfortunately 90% of the country follow the same rut and this is why we get shafted year-on-year.The conservatives are still riding on Cameron's propaganda of making the gullible believe that crippled public services and Austerity are for the best. Furthermore, they are being driven by a leader who never wanted brexit in the first place, and has no clue on what she is doing whatsoever. She is winging it and hoping for the best - a disasterous combination.

You want the NHS to survive and you want brexit?

As the economy continues to slow, the first thing to be cut will be public services. As for Labour, any party wanting to double council tax and increase corporation tax can do one.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals47 m ago

What we probably need is a new party that occupies the centre ground. This …What we probably need is a new party that occupies the centre ground. This country hasn't elected a left wing party in decades ago labour can't win, and I'd much prefer the Tories didn't.I think the opportunity could arise as Brexit gets worse.

I believe Adonis may be trying to form a center party.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals3 h, 40 m ago

Against a historically bad Tory party with an atrocious leadership. If …Against a historically bad Tory party with an atrocious leadership. If they can't beat that then they won't ever win under the current leadership.Sadly this incompetent Tory party is opposed by an even more incompetent and financially reckless Labour party. Labour need to move to the right, appeal to middle class aspiration and leave the likes of Corbyn behind. Sadly they'll stick with him, lose and the Tories will gut public services starting with the abolition of the NHS as we know it.

Well they didn't beat 'Dave' "the worst PM in two hundred years" either
maybe what we need is a bit of reckless ?
certainly better than the slow death/sell off that the current clowns are doing

as to the BS in the OP the anybody gullible enough to genuinely believe that stuff probably already does

Lots of snide remarks about 'snowflakes' voting Labour in last years election on this thread already
got news for you the 'youthquake' didn't in fact happen
Saturn1 h, 10 m ago

This is one of my points. Has his best chance, however it didn't appear so …This is one of my points. Has his best chance, however it didn't appear so before the campaign, passed him by? He won't get such an easy ride if there is a next time for him, as he has now given cause for concern electorally, and will not be taken so lightly again.That is a good question. A very, good question.

Assuming there’s another election within the next 12 months I suspect he’ll have an even better chance. Pre June 17 the Conservatives were a happy ship, confident with their new leader and a joke leading the opposition. This time is different, sure they’ll try harder fighting to stay in office (party first etc) but they’re split and at war over Brexit. The last 9 months or so has all been all about brexit infighting and the 2017 GE fallout, all very public – they’re basically a laughing stock without a leader or even an obvious leader in waiting as no one wants the job. Corbyn on the other hand as cemented his power and those in the PLP conspiring against him during the last election have been silenced and will mostly likely get into line and support him.

Just wait and see how badly the Conservatives do in local elections in May, I suspect knife sharpening has already begun.

I say all this as a Labour voter who has little time for Corbyn. If IRA links wont sink him I very much doubt some alleged Soviet spy claims will have much effect.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals26 m ago

You want the NHS to survive and you want brexit?As the economy continues …You want the NHS to survive and you want brexit?As the economy continues to slow, the first thing to be cut will be public services. As for Labour, any party wanting to double council tax and increase corporation tax can do one.

I never said i did, nor did not want Brexit... i've told you that before. I wrote in another thread that i've stayed fairly neutral with regards to Brexit as i can see both positives and negatives to staying and leaving.

I still haven't forgiven the conservatives for putting VAT up to 20% and thinking nothing of it - not even so much of a "that has massively helped the national debt" - all they ever say is "we need to make yet more cuts"
Its never enough for them.
Original Poster
Wongy11018 m ago

..... as to the BS in the OP the anybody gullible enough to genuinely …..... as to the BS in the OP the anybody gullible enough to genuinely believe that stuff probably already does.....

Any chance of a little more specificity before Happy Hour, Wongy. Happy to be enlightened with evidence of which aspects are "BS".

freakstyler15 m ago

Assuming there’s another election within the next 12 months I suspect h …Assuming there’s another election within the next 12 months I suspect he’ll have an even better chance. Pre June 17 the Conservatives were a happy ship, confident with their new leader and a joke leading the opposition. This time is different, sure they’ll try harder fighting to stay in office (party first etc) but they’re split and at war over Brexit. The last 9 months or so has all been all about brexit infighting and the 2017 GE fallout, all very public – they’re basically a laughing stock without a leader or even an obvious leader in waiting as no one wants the job. Corbyn on the other hand as cemented his power and those in the PLP conspiring against him during the last election have been silenced and will mostly likely get into line and support him. Just wait and see how badly the Conservatives do in local elections in May, I suspect knife sharpening has already begun. I say all this as a Labour voter who has little time for Corbyn. If IRA links wont sink him I very much doubt some alleged Soviet spy claims will have much effect.

I wouldn't dispute that local elections don't tend to look kindly upon parties in Government. I suspect that a GE victory is beyond JC.
Wongy11040 m ago

Well they didn't beat 'Dave' "the worst PM in two hundred years" …Well they didn't beat 'Dave' "the worst PM in two hundred years" eithermaybe what we need is a bit of reckless ?certainly better than the slow death/sell off that the current clowns are doingas to the BS in the OP the anybody gullible enough to genuinely believe that stuff probably already doesLots of snide remarks about 'snowflakes' voting Labour in last years election on this thread alreadygot news for you the 'youthquake' didn't in fact happen

They couldn't win because they moved too far left. That's their problem. They got so scared after Blair that they moved away from him, but became unelectable.

The Tories are being wrecked by far right idealogues obsessed with the lunacy of brexit whilst labour are beholden to a far left rabble of sixth form level debaters who will never win a general election.

What we need is a sensible party in the middle with the likes of Ken Clarke and David Miliband at the helm. Sensible, steady centrist MPs (comparatively).
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals27 m ago

They couldn't win because they moved too far left. That's their problem. …They couldn't win because they moved too far left. That's their problem. They got so scared after Blair that they moved away from him, but became unelectable.The Tories are being wrecked by far right idealogues obsessed with the lunacy of brexit whilst labour are beholden to a far left rabble of sixth form level debaters who will never win a general election.What we need is a sensible party in the middle with the likes of Ken Clarke and David Miliband at the helm. Sensible, steady centrist MPs (comparatively).

"who will never win a general election."
Nonsense how do you the OP or anybody else know that ?
nearly 13 million voted for them last June
certainly hope there is another election sooner rather than later bring it on !
Wongy1106 m ago

"who will never win a general election."Nonsense how do you the OP or …"who will never win a general election."Nonsense how do you the OP or anybody else know that ?nearly 13 million voted for them last Junecertainly hope there is another election sooner rather than later bring it on !

Because history teaches us that this country doesn't elect far left parties to power.

It also teaches us that there will be people who think they can actually win right up until the moment the results are announced.

For labour to win, they need to find another Blair who will take them back to the centre ground.
I hope so, Corbyn is in favour of Brexit and
free money for everyone,
no need to work anymore,
trains will all run on time and be much cheaper oh and no need for anymore war as we dismantle our armies although of course no one will attack us.

33291071-etWwB.jpg
davewave2 m ago

I hope so, Corbyn is in favour of Brexit and free money for everyone, no …I hope so, Corbyn is in favour of Brexit and free money for everyone, no need to work anymore, trains will all run on time and be much cheaper oh and no need for anymore war as we dismantle our armies although of course no one will attack us.[Image]

He's actually not in favour of free money or people not working. You have an inability to understand the future in common with him.
Biddy23 h, 14 m ago

Not being funny, Rog, but you are the absolute last person to be labelling …Not being funny, Rog, but you are the absolute last person to be labelling anyone as a “snowflake” with the amount of rants you have regarding anything from videogames to having an active dislike for this website and it’s mods (yet you still come on here regularly).I believe this is the Tories’ 8th year in Parliament since the last Labour leadership. So these “snowflakes” you refer to, do you mean 7-8 year olds?

I'm apolitical , not swayed by the latest fake news and buzz words . I just vote on policies , as everyone should . When was the last time we had a "real Labour government" in power with Labour economic policies ? You obviously can't count the Blair /Brown "New Labour " years (more Tory than the Tories ) so you are looking at a generation or two ,are you not ?

And I think you misunderstand the term "Snowflake " too precious to criticise , too much a follower of Social media to make their own decisions unless they are told what their decisions should be .

I hardly think that describes me - argumentative ,self assured , reasoning and maybe obnoxious to some - but hardly a "Snowflake " The clue is in the name !
rogparki33 m ago

I'm apolitical , not swayed by the latest fake news and buzz words . I …I'm apolitical , not swayed by the latest fake news and buzz words . I just vote on policies , as everyone should . When was the last time we had a "real Labour government" in power with Labour economic policies ? You obviously can't count the Blair /Brown "New Labour " years (more Tory than the Tories ) so you are looking at a generation or two ,are you not ?And I think you misunderstand the term "Snowflake " too precious to criticise , too much a follower of Social media to make their own decisions unless they are told what their decisions should be .I hardly think that describes me - argumentative ,self assured , reasoning and maybe obnoxious to some - but hardly a "Snowflake " The clue is in the name !

I most definitely haven’t misunderstood the term, Rog.

33291301-HJCWG.jpg
I think you have. This is why I dislike this ridiculous terminology as those throwing it around, tend to actually be self projecting.

If you’re talking about Old Labour vs New Labour then absolutely, the young people voting for him have no experience of Old Labour. Maybe though, they have just had enough of the Tories. The young can’t be blamed for the majority of this country sticking between the same two parties endlessly. If anything, that blame lies on the older people’s shoulders as there are more of them and they set a precedent themselves. A precedent created before social media even existed.
Original Poster
deleted5795919th Feb

I remember you saying the leave vote wouldn't win the referendum.. you …I remember you saying the leave vote wouldn't win the referendum.. you were wrong, why would you be right about this?

Rather unlikely as he didn't join until just after the referendum. (I know it feels a lot longer) Could have been a previous profile.
Biddy244 m ago

I most definitely haven’t misunderstood the term, Rog. [Image] I think you …I most definitely haven’t misunderstood the term, Rog. [Image] I think you have. This is why I dislike this ridiculous terminology as those throwing it around, tend to actually be self projecting. If you’re talking about Old Labour vs New Labour then absolutely, the young people voting for him have no experience of Old Labour. Maybe though, they have just had enough of the Tories. The young can’t be blamed for the majority of this country sticking between the same two parties endlessly. If anything, that blame lies on the older people’s shoulders as there are more of them and they set a precedent themselves. A precedent created before social media even existed.

Agree with you about the terminology biddy.
but you seem to have fallen for this youngsters coming out and voting for Corbyn thing
It just didn't happen
unless you mean people under 70 ?

33291588-uVH0y.jpg
britishelectionstudy.com/bes…on/
Saturn7 m ago

Rather unlikely as he didn't join until just after the referendum. (I know …Rather unlikely as he didn't join until just after the referendum. (I know it feels a lot longer)

It does, aye
Wongy11012 m ago

Agree with you about the terminology biddy.but you seem to have fallen for …Agree with you about the terminology biddy.but you seem to have fallen for this youngsters coming out and voting for Corbyn thingIt just didn't happenunless you mean people under 70 ?[Image] http://www.britishelectionstudy.com/bes-impact/the-myth-of-the-2017-youthquake-election/#.WosOLSXLjb1

I haven’t fallen for it, Wongy. I’m just entertaining Rog’s viewpoint
Simple answer is NO, but as long as they keep promising "free stuff" you never know.. They even have a new logo for the next campaign.

33291745-Iw799.jpg
I will vote labour because I'm not a masochist.

No arguments here needed, no pages of hot air released by the useral suspects, just look at what the Cons are doing.
Let's face it, with the current shower in charge and neither party opposing brexit, much of the country is going to suffer greatly reduced growth, lower spending and fewer services.

So one has to be selfish and I'm not voting for a party that wants to punish homeowners and middle-high income earners.

If the people of this country actually do vote based on class politics and elect a party who want to double council tax, requisition privately owned homes in London and make this country uncompetitive then we really well fact plumber new depths in the space of a decade.
Banned
LET DIANE ABBOTT COUNT THE VOTES

"And the winning party with 57 squllion million billion votes is Labour and in close second with two votes is the Conservative party".
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants