Expired

Can landlord cap off gas if gas inspection is a week overdue?

Found 27th FebEdited by:"LeahsMintytoutou"
Good morning everyone. Hope your all wrapped up warm.
My gas safety check was due last week and I forgot to call my landlord back to let them know which days I had off so could be in.
Move just rang them and let them know my days off so they are going to arrange it n call me back.

Anyway the lady on the phone was saying you don't want us to have to cut off the gas in this weather do you. We legally have to cap it off if it's over due.

I just wondered does anybody who maybe a gas engineer know Can landlord cap off gas if gas inspection is a week overdue? surely she was just talking rubbish and trying to scare me a little.

(please note I have my saftey check booked in tomorrow, I am not trying to avoid having it done I was just busy and forgot to call back straight away. I just wondered is what she said correct about they HAVE to cap the supply off if it's overdue?)
thanks guys (all galls
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Interesting question. As a landlord, I am used to tenants quoting me their rights if something is broken and it can't be fixed in a time frame that is to their satisfaction. Even when its very obvious it hasn't been reported promptly AS SOON AS something started to go wrong rather than weeks/months later when it breaks completely.

Technically, the landlord is now in breach of contract since the law requires the landlord to maintain gas safety. Except that (s)he has tried to comply so it's your problem.

Suggest you worry less about your rights and more about co-operating with the landlord who is simply trying to do a compulsory job.
ccnp21 m ago

Interesting question. As a landlord, I am used to tenants quoting me …Interesting question. As a landlord, I am used to tenants quoting me their rights if something is broken and it can't be fixed in a time frame that is to their satisfaction. Even when its very obvious it hasn't been reported promptly AS SOON AS something started to go wrong rather than weeks/months later when it breaks completely.Technically, the landlord is now in breach of contract since the law requires the landlord to maintain gas safety. Except that (s)he has tried to comply so it's your problem.Suggest you worry less about your rights and more about co-operating with the landlord who is simply trying to do a compulsory job.

You seem to think I don't want a gas saey check or have been putting it off for some reason. This is not the case, My safety check is booked in for tomorrow morning. She rang me last week to see about arranging it and I didn't know my hours for work yet so I said I would find out my hours and ring her back later during the day. It totally went out of my mind as I couldn't get my hours straight away. I remembered at the weekend about it so I called her back today to arrange it for when is convenient for them (while I'm off work also). It has now been booked in. I was simply wondering if what she said re the gas would get capped off for being overdue, was correct? That's it. I always report any issues straight away, if there's anything I can help with I do. I bought my own dehumidifier, I bought my own mould stop when the gutter was leaking and ruined the wall. So please understand I am not a tenant that avoids the landlord
37 Comments
seems likely, if it was unsafe then there is a risk of a gas incident!
Interesting question. As a landlord, I am used to tenants quoting me their rights if something is broken and it can't be fixed in a time frame that is to their satisfaction. Even when its very obvious it hasn't been reported promptly AS SOON AS something started to go wrong rather than weeks/months later when it breaks completely.

Technically, the landlord is now in breach of contract since the law requires the landlord to maintain gas safety. Except that (s)he has tried to comply so it's your problem.

Suggest you worry less about your rights and more about co-operating with the landlord who is simply trying to do a compulsory job.
Landlord can't he's not allowed the gas safe engineer would need to do it but if he's coming anyway he can check it and if it'd dangerous then cap it off. It seems abit of a stupid law are Tenants lives more worth while than property owned by people they don't need have there gas cheked every year bit rediculous anyway should be a longer period or if there's been any alterations done then fine.
ccnp21 m ago

Interesting question. As a landlord, I am used to tenants quoting me …Interesting question. As a landlord, I am used to tenants quoting me their rights if something is broken and it can't be fixed in a time frame that is to their satisfaction. Even when its very obvious it hasn't been reported promptly AS SOON AS something started to go wrong rather than weeks/months later when it breaks completely.Technically, the landlord is now in breach of contract since the law requires the landlord to maintain gas safety. Except that (s)he has tried to comply so it's your problem.Suggest you worry less about your rights and more about co-operating with the landlord who is simply trying to do a compulsory job.

You seem to think I don't want a gas saey check or have been putting it off for some reason. This is not the case, My safety check is booked in for tomorrow morning. She rang me last week to see about arranging it and I didn't know my hours for work yet so I said I would find out my hours and ring her back later during the day. It totally went out of my mind as I couldn't get my hours straight away. I remembered at the weekend about it so I called her back today to arrange it for when is convenient for them (while I'm off work also). It has now been booked in. I was simply wondering if what she said re the gas would get capped off for being overdue, was correct? That's it. I always report any issues straight away, if there's anything I can help with I do. I bought my own dehumidifier, I bought my own mould stop when the gutter was leaking and ruined the wall. So please understand I am not a tenant that avoids the landlord
That woman on the phone sounds like an idiot. There is no legislation to enforce capping the Gas off. Pity you didn’t call her bluff and ask for the legislation number of the eu directive etc..
The Safety Certificate is ultimately the responsibility of your Landlord and whilst you’d said that you would be there to do the appointment it is really the agents/landlords oversight in letting it lapse.
Just get the appointment sorted ASAP (usually find BG have 48 hour availability and can be booked online). It should really be the Landlord worrying about it and getting an engineer in today.
Don’t let her scare you. Ring her back in an hour and ask when is the inspection booked for as obviously time is of the essence now.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 27th Feb
They cant just turn off your gas, they would have to get a court order and say why it need to be cut off, which in your case is that it hasn’t had its gas safety check so it would be granted. But thats alot of cost and work so best just to comply and work with your landlord and good landlords are very hard to come by.
Toptrumpet4 m ago

That woman on the phone sounds like an idiot. There is no legislation to …That woman on the phone sounds like an idiot. There is no legislation to enforce capping the Gas off. Pity you didn’t call her bluff and ask for the legislation number of the eu directive etc..The Safety Certificate is ultimately the responsibility of your Landlord and whilst you’d said that you would be there to do the appointment it is really the agents/landlords oversight in letting it lapse.Just get the appointment sorted ASAP (usually find BG have 48 hour availability and can be booked online). It should really be the Landlord worrying about it and getting an engineer in today.Don’t let her scare you. Ring her back in an hour and ask when is the inspection booked for as obviously time is of the essence now.

Thanks @Toptrumpet .. I already booked the appointment for tomorrow when I rang her today but just wondered if what she said re they HAVE to cap it off was correct. I had a feeling she was just saying it n I am just interested to know if it was true.
It is the landlord's responsibility to have an up to date gas safety certificate. He will get into serious trouble if the certificate is not up to date but often access to the tenanted property can delay the inspection so it becomes a grey area.

She is trying to frighten you into giving access as it is a serious offence for the landlord not to have a current certificate.
SteMoss11 m ago

They cant just turn off your gas, they would have to get a court order and …They cant just turn off your gas, they would have to get a court order and say why it need to be cut off, which in your case is that it hasn’t had its gas safety check so it would be granted. But thats alot of cost and work so best just to comply and work with your landlord and good landlords are very hard to come by.

I agree. My landlord is good compared to some others. He puts off work sometimes, like replacing my boiler (finally has been done) and redoing the damp corse but he did it in the end. I have a good relationship with the all really. Lived here nearly 15 years. I appreciate having a good landlord. One of the houses round here look like the landlord doesn't care about anything and the house is just crumbling to bits. It amazes me, could do it up and have a steady income rather then people moving in and out all the time n not paying their rent
mutley16 m ago

It is the landlord's responsibility to have an up to date gas safety …It is the landlord's responsibility to have an up to date gas safety certificate. He will get into serious trouble if the certificate is not up to date but often access to the tenanted property can delay the inspection so it becomes a grey area.She is trying to frighten you into giving access as it is a serious offence for the landlord not to have a current certificate.

Thankyou Mutley, if I could vote your top answer I would
If it is a modern boiler you might find it has an auto cut out 30 days ?
Just makes me appreciate how easy going my tenants are. If I say I need access for something like that, they just say you have a key, help yourself. Mind you, it works both ways. If they tell me something needs fixing, I do it straight away. They're happy and I have a steady income from my property. Lot to be said for that
psychobitchfromhell24 m ago

Just makes me appreciate how easy going my tenants are. If I say I need …Just makes me appreciate how easy going my tenants are. If I say I need access for something like that, they just say you have a key, help yourself. Mind you, it works both ways. If they tell me something needs fixing, I do it straight away. They're happy and I have a steady income from my property. Lot to be said for that

My landlords workers won't come in my house without me there as I have a dog and a child. I'm glad they wouldn't too I'd be paranoid they'd go snooping in my underwear drawer or something!
Wongy1101 h, 31 m ago

If it is a modern boiler you might find it has an auto cut out 30 days ?

Na it's just a standard cheap i ideal boiler.
LeahsMintytoutou7 m ago

My landlords workers won't come in my house without me there as I have a …My landlords workers won't come in my house without me there as I have a dog and a child. I'm glad they wouldn't too I'd be paranoid they'd go snooping in my underwear drawer or something!

I have no desire to trawl through my tenants underwear. I'm not afraid of their goldfish either. I am fearless. They are just like family friends really. They never want to move out and that suits me just fine. They are that nice that when i said i was considering changing the boiler to a combination boiler, they offered to pay half
psychobitchfromhell3 m ago

I have no desire to trawl through my tenants underwear. I'm not afraid of …I have no desire to trawl through my tenants underwear. I'm not afraid of their goldfish either. I am fearless. They are just like family friends really. They never want to move out and that suits me just fine. They are that nice that when i said i was considering changing the boiler to a combination boiler, they offered to pay half

Wow! That is kind of them.. great that you found these tenants too
LeahsMintytoutou23 m ago

My landlords workers won't come in my house without me there as I have a …My landlords workers won't come in my house without me there as I have a dog and a child. I'm glad they wouldn't too I'd be paranoid they'd go snooping in my underwear drawer or something!

I have keys to all the properties and when I need access to the property, I give my tenants 24 hours notice that I will come round. Everyone seems fine with me going inside their properties and into their bedrooms if necessary when no one is at home, as is often the case. But I think the fact that I am female helps as people are more suspicious of men going round their properties without them being around than a woman.
mutley13 m ago

I have keys to all the properties and when I need access to the property, …I have keys to all the properties and when I need access to the property, I give my tenants 24 hours notice that I will come round. Everyone seems fine with me going inside their properties and into their bedrooms if necessary when no one is at home, as is often the case. But I think the fact that I am female helps as people are more suspicious of men going round their properties without them being around than a woman.

24 hours notice I think you have very easy going tenants. I would not be happy with that. Ive had experience with workmen asking me out or keeping my number and texting me inappropriate messages, maybe that's why I'm more causious, I don't know.
LeahsMintytoutou2 h, 56 m ago

You seem to think I don't want a gas saey check or have been putting it …You seem to think I don't want a gas saey check or have been putting it off for some reason. This is not the case, My safety check is booked in for tomorrow morning. She rang me last week to see about arranging it and I didn't know my hours for work yet so I said I would find out my hours and ring her back later during the day. It totally went out of my mind as I couldn't get my hours straight away. I remembered at the weekend about it so I called her back today to arrange it for when is convenient for them (while I'm off work also). It has now been booked in. I was simply wondering if what she said re the gas would get capped off for being overdue, was correct? That's it. I always report any issues straight away, if there's anything I can help with I do. I bought my own dehumidifier, I bought my own mould stop when the gutter was leaking and ruined the wall. So please understand I am not a tenant that avoids the landlord

My apologies. You sound like a well above average tenant and, sadly, those are hard to find.
LeahsMintytoutou9 m ago

24 hours notice I think you have very easy going tenants. I …24 hours notice I think you have very easy going tenants. I would not be happy with that. Ive had experience with workmen asking me out or keeping my number and texting me inappropriate messages, maybe that's why I'm more causious, I don't know.

Our contract states that we have keys to the property and that we have the right to access the property with 24 hours notice, or immediately in case of an emergency. This is a standard clause in contracts and our tenants are fine with us going into properties when they are not home if we give them advance notice.

Tradesmen sometimes have access to the properties when no one is at home to carry out repairs and I have never had any issues with tenants being unhappy about giving access.

For me, it is the other way round. My tenants sometimes flirt with me but I try to keep the relationship purely business even though I keep a friendly relationship with them
I had my gas capped last year by my landlords contracters for missing appointments due to work & then have no one turn up when I was at home, they didn't need a court order for mine just left a note to say meter had been capped off & to re arrange to get connected again
Edited by: "Deluxe1" 27th Feb
Deluxe15 m ago

I had my gas capped last year by my landlords contracters for missing …I had my gas capped last year by my landlords contracters for missing appointments due to work & then have no one turn up when I was at home, they didn't need a court order for mine just left a note to say meter had been capped off & to re arrange to get connected again

as far as i am aware, it is illegal for a landlord to do this unless it is an emergency and there are faulty gas appliances at the property. the gas safety certificate expired does not fall into the definition of emergency to allow the landlord to turn off the gas supply.

as a tenant, you would be in your right to sue him for this.
Deluxe120 m ago

I had my gas capped last year by my landlords contracters for missing …I had my gas capped last year by my landlords contracters for missing appointments due to work & then have no one turn up when I was at home, they didn't need a court order for mine just left a note to say meter had been capped off & to re arrange to get connected again

that's scary to think this could happen, hope u didn't have to wait long for it to be out bk on
LeahsMintytoutou51 m ago

Wow! That is kind of them.. great that you found these tenants too

Yup. I am very lucky
ccnp4 h, 38 m ago

I plan gas safety checks with tenants farther in advance than 1 week to expiry.

If that cap has to come off then that cost would be paid by me as a landlord.

As a landlord you need to plan ahead also and appreciate that tenants have busy lives or might even be on holiday when you want to contact them.
mutley127th Feb

as far as i am aware, it is illegal for a landlord to do this unless it is …as far as i am aware, it is illegal for a landlord to do this unless it is an emergency and there are faulty gas appliances at the property. the gas safety certificate expired does not fall into the definition of emergency to allow the landlord to turn off the gas supply.as a tenant, you would be in your right to sue him for this.

yea i looked into that as i had always complied with it in years previous but the contractors said they were following instructions from the landlord i rent from a housing association so maybe there is different regulations in place im not sure
LeahsMintytoutou1 h, 10 m ago

that's scary to think this could happen, hope u didn't have to … that's scary to think this could happen, hope u didn't have to wait long for it to be out bk on

yea was a headache getting it sorted out had to wait best part of a week for them to come out reconnect me
Odds on she was being a little flippant. Ultimately if a gas supply is suspect or deemed not safe, then yes it can be turned off.
Look at the news, gas is dangerous.

At least it is being dealt with tomorrow.
It's the landlords fault for leaving it so late. Unfortunately they will be calculated losing that extra week on the existing cert. They've probably worked out after 52 years it's £50 they've lost out on, I've yet to meet one who would accept this willingly.

A gas man can get your meter capped if he really wanted, although he isn't personally allowed to do so without your permission. He would have to call up Cadent (Transco) and report a danger. They will then come along and cap the meter without needing any permission. You can be pretty sure he's going to cover his own **** by capping it, regardless of any real danger (and they are often not qualified to assess this, so have to cap on the advise of the gas safe person).
Edited by moderator: "Edited out swearing" 27th Feb
Deluxe11 h, 34 m ago

yea i looked into that as i had always complied with it in years previous …yea i looked into that as i had always complied with it in years previous but the contractors said they were following instructions from the landlord i rent from a housing association so maybe there is different regulations in place im not sure

here is a link from a housing association on enforcement of access to carry out the annual gas safety check. no where on there does it say they will be turning your gas supply off!

ljha.co.uk/my-…ks/

the housing association was out of order and should not have done that. i find some housing association take the law into their own hands because they realise they can bully the tenants who know little about the law and need their homes as rents from housing association are lower than in the private sector.

i find it appalling that private landlords have to install and maintain smoke detectors at their property but housing association and councils do not have to do so for their own properties and it is the tenant that is responsible for doing so. completely illogical legislation. the law in the UK leave much to be desired as it is not always logical or fair.
Edited by: "mutley1" 27th Feb
Toptrumpet27th Feb

That woman on the phone sounds like an idiot. There is no legislation to …That woman on the phone sounds like an idiot. There is no legislation to enforce capping the Gas off. Pity you didn’t call her bluff and ask for the legislation number of the eu directive etc..The Safety Certificate is ultimately the responsibility of your Landlord and whilst you’d said that you would be there to do the appointment it is really the agents/landlords oversight in letting it lapse.Just get the appointment sorted ASAP (usually find BG have 48 hour availability and can be booked online). It should really be the Landlord worrying about it and getting an engineer in today.Don’t let her scare you. Ring her back in an hour and ask when is the inspection booked for as obviously time is of the essence now.

SteMoss27th Feb

They cant just turn off your gas, they would have to get a court order and …They cant just turn off your gas, they would have to get a court order and say why it need to be cut off, which in your case is that it hasn’t had its gas safety check so it would be granted. But thats alot of cost and work so best just to comply and work with your landlord and good landlords are very hard to come by.

ccnp27th Feb

My apologies. You sound like a well above average tenant and, sadly, …My apologies. You sound like a well above average tenant and, sadly, those are hard to find.

psychobitchfromhell27th Feb

Yup. I am very lucky

Deluxe127th Feb

yea was a headache getting it sorted out had to wait best part of a week …yea was a headache getting it sorted out had to wait best part of a week for them to come out reconnect me

Oneday7727th Feb

Odds on she was being a little flippant. Ultimately if a gas supply is …Odds on she was being a little flippant. Ultimately if a gas supply is suspect or deemed not safe, then yes it can be turned off. Look at the news, gas is dangerous. At least it is being dealt with tomorrow.

Well.. you will not believe this, or maybe you will. He's cancelled! I rang at near half 10- quarter to 11(was supposed to be here at 9) she told me oh hey yeah was about to ring you to let you know he's had to cancel. Hmmm were they really going to call me? I doubt it. Rearranged for Friday but she said we will call you if we need to cancel again
LeahsMintytoutou42 m ago

Well.. you will not believe this, or maybe you will. He's cancelled! I …Well.. you will not believe this, or maybe you will. He's cancelled! I rang at near half 10- quarter to 11(was supposed to be here at 9) she told me oh hey yeah was about to ring you to let you know he's had to cancel. Hmmm were they really going to call me? I doubt it. Rearranged for Friday but she said we will call you if we need to cancel again

Smattering of snow and the country grinds to a halt. Ridiculous
Get them to call you back 3/2/1 hours before arrival. Makes sense & it's courtesy. Failure to comply will incur £60 invoice for no show on the day. Unless you want to sit in all day. No show, pay up. Don't, take them to small claims court for wasting your time.
LeahsMintytoutou56 m ago

Well.. you will not believe this, or maybe you will. He's cancelled! I …Well.. you will not believe this, or maybe you will. He's cancelled! I rang at near half 10- quarter to 11(was supposed to be here at 9) she told me oh hey yeah was about to ring you to let you know he's had to cancel. Hmmm were they really going to call me? I doubt it. Rearranged for Friday but she said we will call you if we need to cancel again

doesn't surprise me as british gas cancelled on me for a job today because he said they have too many urgent jobs from the current freezing temperatures.
veedubjai5 m ago

Get them to call you back 3/2/1 hours before arrival. Makes sense & it's …Get them to call you back 3/2/1 hours before arrival. Makes sense & it's courtesy. Failure to comply will incur £60 invoice for no show on the day. Unless you want to sit in all day. No show, pay up. Don't, take them to small claims court for wasting your time.

I'm not interested in doing anything like that. These things happen sometimes. It's just annoying how they tried to make me panic by saying well cut your gas off because your a week overdue the safety check but the very next day, the day of the appointment they cancel
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 28th Feb
veedubjai11 m ago

Get them to call you back 3/2/1 hours before arrival. Makes sense & it's …Get them to call you back 3/2/1 hours before arrival. Makes sense & it's courtesy. Failure to comply will incur £60 invoice for no show on the day. Unless you want to sit in all day. No show, pay up. Don't, take them to small claims court for wasting your time.

No messing about from you
mutley11 h, 22 m ago

doesn't surprise me as british gas cancelled on me for a job today because …doesn't surprise me as british gas cancelled on me for a job today because he said they have too many urgent jobs from the current freezing temperatures.

Rightly so unless your job was an emergency. I’d rather be stood up than know a family was in a home with no heating while it’s -10 outside.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants