Can mobile routers be used with normal landline internet?

Posted 18th Jun
Can a router such as Huawei B535 be used to replace my terrible Plusnet Hub One? So use the mobile router hardware from Three with standard landline fibre internet with Plusnet? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
No, the router requires to have a DSL or WAN port which none of these mobile broadband routers have. Your best bet is to find an alternative router from Curry’s/Argos which can replace your current Plusnet router.
Depends what you mean. You can use a second router for wifi by turning off DHCP - if it is wifi spottiness that is bothering you. But you cannot use the router to connect directly to the national openreach network.
Edited by: "A1RN" 18th Jun
A1RN18/06/2020 20:49

Depends what you mean. You can use a second router for wifi by turning off …Depends what you mean. You can use a second router for wifi by turning off DHCP - if it is wifi spottiness that is bothering you. But you cannot use the router to connect directly to the national openreach network.

Could I put the Hub One into modem only and use the B535 for wireless?
JohnnyFwaa18/06/2020 21:03

No. You are mixing up two completely different communication systems. Your hub can only gets its connectivity from a land line while the B535 only works with the cellular network.
JohnnyFwaa18/06/2020 21:03

Yes, you can. Ignore the other guy who doesn't know what they are talking about.

I did this with my B525 as I wanted 5GHz wireless. You need to plug the Huawei router into your computer directly and navigate to the router admin page. Then you need to turn off what is called DHCP and assign an ip with same address as your Hub One but outside the range of addresses allocated. For example: (My setup is the opposite of yours - 4G internet into huawei router, Wifi off and piped to BT router for access)

Huawei (with wifi turned off) IP address: 192.168.8.1
DCHP range: 192.168.8.100 to 192.168.8.200
BT router that all my wireless devices actually "connect" to: 192.168.8.2

41142210-HubuC.jpg

41142210-Ygh3o.jpg
41142210-yCv59.jpg
A1RN18/06/2020 23:30

Yes, you can. Ignore the other guy who doesn't know what they are talking …Yes, you can. Ignore the other guy who doesn't know what they are talking about.I did this with my B525 as I wanted 5GHz wireless. You need to plug the Huawei router into your computer directly and navigate to the router admin page. Then you need to turn off what is called DHCP and assign an ip with same address as your Hub One but outside the range of addresses allocated. For example: (My setup is the opposite of yours - 4G internet into huawei router, Wifi off and piped to BT router for access)Huawei (with wifi turned off) IP address: 192.168.8.1DCHP range: 192.168.8.100 to 192.168.8.200BT router that all my wireless devices actually "connect" to: 192.168.8.2[Image] [Image] [Image]

Thanks
Looks complicated but would try and use this once I bought the thing
I have tried using a third party router before (which was also weak) during which I discovered Hub1 doesn't have a modem only mode, so I had to configure the new router as a wireless access point, but still connected to the H1 via ethernet. Can I still give the B535?
I am interested in this because 3 are selling this router for £29 upfront with a 1 month SIMO deal, and the router gets brilliant reviews, whereas all other routers in this price range are rubbish.
Thanks for your help.
A1RN18/06/2020 23:30

Yes, you can. Ignore the other guy who doesn't know what they are talking …Yes, you can. Ignore the other guy who doesn't know what they are talking about.I did this with my B525 as I wanted 5GHz wireless. You need to plug the Huawei router into your computer directly and navigate to the router admin page. Then you need to turn off what is called DHCP and assign an ip with same address as your Hub One but outside the range of addresses allocated. For example: (My setup is the opposite of yours - 4G internet into huawei router, Wifi off and piped to BT router for access)Huawei (with wifi turned off) IP address: 192.168.8.1DCHP range: 192.168.8.100 to 192.168.8.200BT router that all my wireless devices actually "connect" to: 192.168.8.2[Image] [Image] [Image]

Interesting... looks like I was royally ignorant. Sorry.
Post a comment
@
    Text