Can Now Tv be powered by USB?

Found 4th Jan 2016
Hi.
Am looking at getting a Now tv box however 13a socket is behind tv which is flat to wall and Now tv adapter is too chunky. Can it be powered by usb port on tv? Thank you
Community Updates
AskNow TV
6 Comments
yes it can
I'm not so sure it can. Well, not currently. Tech specs taken from NowTV website:

Size: 89mm x 89mm x 25mm
Weight: 141 grams
Networking: 802.11 dual-band (a/b/g/n compatible) with WEP, WPA and WPA2 support
10/100 Base-T Ethernet
Video outputs: 720p and 1080p
Video modes: 720p 16:9 anamorphic 4:3 standard
Audio output: Digital over HDMI (7.1 and 5.1 surround pass through)
Remote: Infra Red - Compatible with various universal remotes
Ports: HDMI (cable included), Ethernet, microSD card slot, USB (microSD and USB not currently for use – hardware for potential future functionality)
Power consumption: Less than 3.5W (typical) when streaming HD video
Power input: 5.99V - 2A power adapter

Pay particular attention to the bold part. I have however read a post on a blog recently explaining a method of entering the developer mode of the box - so you can enable the USB slot to accept a stick or HDD so it can play external media. I believe it is because these boxes are Roku designed boxes - which are then 'hobbled' for Sky use.

I could be totally wrong; of course; but Google (as always) is your friend. I can't find any immediate solution though...

Regards, Phsy.

(P.S. - Also worth mentioning that the Now TV box has no ON/OFF function either - in other words, when it's plugged in, it's on. Does have a kind of 'sleep' mode though.)
Phsycronix

I'm not so sure it can. Well, not currently. Tech specs taken from NowTV … I'm not so sure it can. Well, not currently. Tech specs taken from NowTV website:Size: 89mm x 89mm x 25mm Weight: 141 grams Networking: 802.11 dual-band (a/b/g/n compatible) with WEP, WPA and WPA2 support 10/100 Base-T Ethernet Video outputs: 720p and 1080p Video modes: 720p 16:9 anamorphic 4:3 standard Audio output: Digital over HDMI (7.1 and 5.1 surround pass through) Remote: Infra Red - Compatible with various universal remotes Ports: HDMI (cable included), Ethernet, microSD card slot, USB (microSD and USB not currently for use – hardware for potential future functionality)Power consumption: Less than 3.5W (typical) when streaming HD video Power input: 5.99V - 2A power adapter Pay particular attention to the bold part. I have however read a post on a blog recently explaining a method of entering the developer mode of the box - so you can enable the USB slot to accept a stick or HDD so it can play external media. I believe it is because these boxes are Roku designed boxes - which are then 'hobbled' for Sky use.I could be totally wrong; of course; but Google (as always) is your friend. I can't find any immediate solution though...Regards, Phsy.(P.S. - Also worth mentioning that the Now TV box has no ON/OFF function either - in other words, when it's plugged in, it's on. Does have a kind of 'sleep' mode though.)

I've read that the likes of this on ebay works. USB to 5V 2A PC charger around £3.

ebay.co.uk/itm…530

USB ports only supply 5v 0.5A so probably wouldn't be enough. I use a chromecast powered off my TV for NowTV.
cecilmcroberts

I've read that the likes of this on ebay works. USB to 5V 2A PC charger … I've read that the likes of this on ebay works. USB to 5V 2A PC charger around £3. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90cm-USB-5V-2A-PC-Charger-Power-Cable-for-Now-Tv-now-tv-Digi-freeview-Box-/281761542530

Your link doesn't seem to work (dead item?) but I know where you're coming from. The OP was asking if his TV's USB port could power the Now TV box via it's USB port. At least I think that's what they were asking. What you are suggesting is thw same as this from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/power-cable-Roku-Media-player/dp/B00P31BCEE

Which is a different way of doing the same thing and may well be the OP's answer. This would connect his TV (USB end) to the Now TV box's actual power socket. Worth investigating perhaps???
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 4th Jan 2016
Phsycronix

Your link doesn't seem to work (dead item?) but I know where you're … Your link doesn't seem to work (dead item?) but I know where you're coming from. The OP was asking if his TV's USB port could power the Now TV box via it's USB port. At least I think that's what they were asking. What you are suggesting is thw same as this from Amazon:http://www.amazon.co.uk/power-cable-Roku-Media-player/dp/B00P31BCEEWhich is a different way of doing the same thing and may well be the OP's answer. This would connect his TV (USB end) to the Now TV box's actual power socket. Worth investigating perhaps???

Yup as you say just differ way of thinking. Never tried it myself but all reports seem to say this works on nearly all TV's.
TV USB> NowTV Power socket.
See what you mean about the link, the item was there when i posted! Hopefully this one remains!
ebay.co.uk/itm…297?hash=item33a3562e79:g:ikIAAOSweuxWRpEc
*Grumbles* What on earth going on, get the link searching direct on ebay, tested it in different browser then soon as I post and try to click again to check get the same error you did! But yes like your Amazon link!

Hopefully this general ebay search link works!
ebay.co.uk/sch…N=1
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 4th Jan 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions