Can Paypal force a seller to give me my money back?

Found 29th Apr 2012
Bought something from ebay but the item is clearly not working properly. I am going to try and return it but am concerned I wont get my money back.

Can Paypal refund me or force the seller to refund me/pay me back?

17 Comments

Banned

depends under what circumstances you are returning it, but usually paypal always side with the buyer

put a claim in with paypal, they will tell you to return at your cost, and they they will refund, always remember to send it recorded/special delivery so as to get a signature as paypal will want this
Edited by: "sassie" 29th Apr 2012

Original Poster

sassie

depends under what circumstances you are returning it, but usually paypal … depends under what circumstances you are returning it, but usually paypal always side with the buyerput a claim in with paypal, they will tell you to return at your cost, and they they will refund, always remember to send it recorded/special delivery so as to get a signature as paypal will want this

Bought a laptop, using buy it now, £250 (including free delivery) paid via Paypal. Had it since Friday morning but got problems with it (not as described). Asked seller for a refund, said no chance, sold as seen. Will Paypal make him pay or will they just give me some sort or compensation payment (i.e. they pay me, not the seller).

Banned

when you put in the claim with paypal you need to tell them all that is wrong, etc,etc, they will tell you to return at cost and paypal will refund

Pretty much, PP is very biased towards buyers. Sellers usually dont stand much of a chance

Make sure you start a claim with paypal.
If/when returning make sure it's via a trackable method with signature on delivery otherwise the seller could claim the returned item was not received.
Good luck.

Banned

Seller will receive laptop, say it's been smashed up (he will smash it up) paypal won't pay you a penny.

Original Poster

So who pays me back, paypal or the seller?

Banned

shuwaz

So who pays me back, paypal or the seller?

the seller, paypal removes it from their account, it may not have even gone to seller yet, sometimes paypal withholds funds till feedback has been left

well paypal pays you, as the seller isnt going to send you money, but it will be taken from sellers account, did the auction have buyer protection, what item number
Edited by: "sassie" 29th Apr 2012

Original Poster

I'm just concerned that I will send the laptop back and end up with no money nor laptop.

Original Poster

sassie

the seller, paypal removes it from their account, it may not have even … the seller, paypal removes it from their account, it may not have even gone to seller yet, sometimes paypal withholds funds till feedback has been left

But what if he withdrew the money the same day I paid (i.e. there is nothing in his paypal account?

Banned

it will go in minus, paypal will pay you and they will send the debt collectors round his house.

Banned

what are the problems and are you sure it wasn't in the description?

you say seller told you sold as seen
was that in the description
what does the returns policy say on the listing

if you are sending it back. Make sure you do it recorded or special delivery/signed for, so you have proof that it has been delivered.
If the seller does not refund you then you need to put in a claim through ebay. Paypal pretty much always side with buyers and will just take the money out.
If ever I have had problems I have always got my money back.

Banned

colinsunderland

what are the problems and are you sure it wasn't in the description?

^^^ this

may just need a software reinstall.

Original Poster

display is damaged.

csiman

^^^ thismay just need a software reinstall.

Banned

shuwaz what is the item number?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions