Posted 24 May 2020

Can see synology NAS, but cannot connect

Almost feel embarrassed to ask given this is my day job, but I'm out of ideas short of resetting it, which imo is admitting defeat... Have a synology 218 nas, had been configured to use my old asus router. Since the switch over to sky I haven't bothered connecting it, until now...

Synology assistant can see it, but lists status as 'connection failed' fair enough, I'm now using a different subnet. Have assigned a new static IP which is successful, I can ping it from laptop, still can't connect via webbrowers, can see from Synology assistant. Have connected directly to laptop ethernet, set laptop to dhcp, have assigned dynamic IP to the NAS box now.. still can't connect.
Have turned all firewalls off, only using IP4 on lan. Trying to connect over port 5000, not blocked on sky router. I can browse the NAS from windows explorer, I just can't get in to the damn setup utility to restart onedrive service.

Ideas?
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    VeganPolice24/05/2020 21:32

Sorry!I assume the old router is no longer in your possession.

Wasn't having a go sorry if that came across wrong! It might be in the loft, probably easier to just reset, although having set to DHCP already I don't know if thats going to make any difference. Just frustrating, should just work!
    Can you ssh to it MrKrabs? The service that runs the config webpage has probably failed but ssh might still be alive to do a reboot or reconfig.

Failing that I'd try an old router (assuming you have one), you could try configuring it the same as your old asus and connect the nas to that (then onto your new sky router). (edited)
    Was it configured for quickconnect? Not sure it'll make much difference but just a thought.. quickconnect.to/
    Author
    Tried from a diff laptop, works fine...

Hmmm
    Author
    Done all that already. As said, I can see my files, I can ping it, I just can't connect to the websetup and stays at connection failed!? I'll try from my wifes laptop in a bit, thats the only common denominator...
    MrKrabs24/05/2020 21:30

Done all that already. As said, I can see my files, I can ping it, I just …Done all that already. As said, I can see my files, I can ping it, I just can't connect to the websetup and stays at connection failed!? I'll try from my wifes laptop in a bit, thats the only common denominator...

Sorry!
    I assume the old router is no longer in your possession.
    MrKrabs24/05/2020 21:35

Wasn't having a go sorry if that came across wrong! It might be in the …Wasn't having a go sorry if that came across wrong! It might be in the loft, probably easier to just reset, although having set to DHCP already I don't know if thats going to make any difference. Just frustrating, should just work!

Not at all!
    MrKrabs25/05/2020 07:33

Tried from a diff laptop, works fine...Hmmm

Strange, potential impending hardware failure and / or something cached? (An incompatibility with newer devices even?)

Curious to know if a HDD format and NAS settings reset would fix it (once you've got your data off of course lol). (edited)
    Have you tried using arp to assign an ip?
    ". Have connected directly to laptop ethernet, set laptop to dhcp, have assigned dynamic IP to the NAS box now.."

so you have a network there with two devices both on dhcp but no dhcp server?

if it works on another pc then it appears the fault is with the first pc surely.. (edited)
's avatar