Expired

Can seller partial refund for a return when postage was free on ebay?

Found 26th Apr 2013
Bought some items on eBay with free delivery but had to return them. Seller refunded minus £5 for posting fees. What is eBay's seller policy on this or is it up to the discretion of each seller?
Community Updates
27 Comments
Seller should pay for you returning the item back but I don't think it's enforceable unless a paypal claim is made.

Bit like if you took something back to debenhams, they wouldn't give you your bus fare or petrol money back into town when refunding you.

However if the item was faulty they should pay your return postage out of courtesy.
ebay claims do not include covering postage. sad but true
Original Poster
Mark2111

Seller should pay for you returning the item back but I don't think it's … Seller should pay for you returning the item back but I don't think it's enforceable unless a paypal claim is made.Bit like if you took something back to debenhams, they wouldn't give you your bus fare or petrol money back into town when refunding you.However if the item was faulty they should pay your return postage out of courtesy.

The item wasn't faulty so it was my fault but just felt the £5 posting price they took off was rather high really. Is offering a partial refund to cover posting the item to myself when they didn't charge me for it against eBay policy though?
Banned
SixFeet

The item wasn't faulty so it was my fault but just felt the £5 posting … The item wasn't faulty so it was my fault but just felt the £5 posting price they took off was rather high really. Is offering a partial refund to cover posting the item to myself when they didn't charge me for it against eBay policy though?

Serves you right for wasting time! why buy it in the first place.
I think that's probably fair, Factor in listing charges and final valuation fee's etc..
If you open a return case the seller is forced to refund full price paid including original postage or in this case the full price of the item since postage was free,

how much did return postage cost you?

the seller will be able to reclaim their final value fees so they wont be losing that
Was £5 fair? How much was the item?

inb4 £5000.....
If you changed your mind then why should the seller be out of pocket for posting it to you? You should have stated that in your op.

Just be grateful that they accepted a return and you got your money back for the item. They may have listed it to you as free postage but they would have paid for the postage.
Original Poster
D_G

Serves you right for wasting time! why buy it in the first place.

Aye bet you've never bought something only to receive it as a gift or circumstances change in the mean time mate. Jackass.

Shengis

Was £5 fair? How much was the item?inb4 £5000.....

Wasn't much the item and £5 seemed excessive to me, especially considering I paid just over £1 to return it.
You're only giving half a story, no idea what the item was or how big/heavy it was, so its impossible to comment. Also depends on the reason for return, If i make a mistake I refund reasonable postage, if the buyer changes their mind I make them pay, and they usually decide not to return after all.

Edited by: "spaceinvader" 26th Apr 2013
If it only cost £1 to post it's unreasonable for the seller to hold back £5,it is also against ebay policy
grabbit

If it only cost £1 to post it's unreasonable for the seller to hold back … If it only cost £1 to post it's unreasonable for the seller to hold back £5,it is also against ebay policy

It cost the buyer a quid to return it. The seller may have paid more, not to mention their fees.
Enough with the evasion, how much did it cost and what was it.
Original Poster
Mark2111

It cost the buyer a quid to return it. The seller may have paid more, … It cost the buyer a quid to return it. The seller may have paid more, not to mention their fees.

It was from a company and it was a mass stock, buy it now advert not a single auction from some old lady otherwise I wouldn't even be asking this.

It was a very light under t-shirt for cycling to work for £18 but was bought a few as a surprise between payment and arrival. I paid £1.10 to return it. Considering they're a business with mass mail I very much doubt they paid anywhere near the same as me so I felt £5 was excessive. Pretty sure eBay fee's are recovered for a return as well.

Perhaps I wasn't full with my explanation but instead of jumping on the outrage train why not just state for a little further details.
Edited by: "SixFeet" 26th Apr 2013
They could reasonably factor in the packing costs, the fuel to the post office, the time taken at a fixed wage etc...

From ebay

Do I have to provide a refund if the buyer changes their mind?Under the … Do I have to provide a refund if the buyer changes their mind?Under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 you have to refund an item if the buyer changes their mind within 7 working days after the day on which the item was delivered. However, whether the Distance Selling Regulations applies depends on the type of item sold and the listing format used (see "Where do the Distance Selling Regulations apply", below).Under the Distance Selling Regulations, buyers have a period of 7 working days after the date of delivery within which they can cancel the contract (often referred to as the "cooling off" period) and get their money back, including the original postage and packing charges. You must refund the original delivery charges. You are permitted to require the buyer to pay for the cost of returning the item, but only if you clearly inform the buyer of this before the contract is made.You can specify the returns time frame and who pays for return postage when you create your returns policy. Please note that the minimum time frame for returns on eBay is 14 days. We've chosen this because a 14-day returns period will be required when changes to UK distance selling regulations come into effect in June 2014 .If you didn't provide information about your business required under the Distance Selling Regulations, the buyer has up to 3 months to cancel the contract and get their money back

Please tell me your ebay user name so I can block you from bidding on my items. I'm not an old lady or a big business but I think you have an attitude. Thanks.
Report them to ebay and leave a neg.
Open an eBay dispute.Sellers should not pretend they're providing free P&P, then charge a ridiculous fee on returns. Free P&P means they will not be trying to levy a charge on returns, it serves no other purpose on eBay as usually you pay for postage per item. It is against eBay rules. If they had charged £1.50, I am sure the OP wouldn't have minded and left it at that, but £5 for a t-shirt, come on.
Edited by: "tpol" 26th Apr 2013
If the seller knew it would cost him money to post it why didnt he change the p&p fees. If youve mailed the seller already and he refusing to refund you the full amounth contact ebay and open a case
Banned
tpol

Open an eBay dispute.Sellers should not pretend they're providing free … Open an eBay dispute.Sellers should not pretend they're providing free P&P, then charge a ridiculous fee on returns. Free P&P means they will not be trying to levy a charge on returns, it serves no other purpose on eBay as usually you pay for postage per item. It is against eBay rules. If they had charged £1.50, I am sure the OP wouldn't have minded and left it at that, but £5 for a t-shirt, come on.

spot on

so much misinformed nonsense in this thread

Seller has time return full item cost
Edited by: "csiman" 26th Apr 2013
also depends on how the seller packaged it and if it was sent tracked, if properly packaged then item will weigh more therefore cost more.
Banned
spaceinvader

You're only giving half a story, no idea what the item was or how … You're only giving half a story, no idea what the item was or how big/heavy it was, so its impossible to comment. Also depends on the reason for return, If i make a mistake I refund reasonable postage, if the buyer changes their mind I make them pay, and they usually decide not to return after all.

the point here is that the buyer paid to return but the seller is withholding part of the item cost as well from the refund. the seller listed zero p&p to gain an advantage over other more sensible sellers
Banned
MR1123

also depends on how the seller packaged it and if it was sent tracked, if … also depends on how the seller packaged it and if it was sent tracked, if properly packaged then item will weigh more therefore cost more.

totally irrelevant oO
Banned
Mark2111

If you changed your mind then why should the seller be out of pocket for … If you changed your mind then why should the seller be out of pocket for posting it to you? You should have stated that in your op.Just be grateful that they accepted a return and you got your money back for the item. They may have listed it to you as free postage but they would have paid for the postage.

so if you returned an item to amazon at your cost, would you be happy if amazon also deducted £5 from the item value refund?
Returned under DSR, full refund required. Any deductions for postage or restocking fees are illegal, not just against EBay rules.

DSR suck for Internet sellers, but they are there for a reason and they are law.
Original Poster
Mark2111

Please tell me your ebay user name so I can block you from bidding on my … Please tell me your ebay user name so I can block you from bidding on my items. I'm not an old lady or a big business but I think you have an attitude. Thanks.

And you sound like someone that's jumped to conclusions then just acted plain rude. I wouldn't have been bothered if it was a reasonable price they took but it was incredibly excessive.

Stop being a ****.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants