Groups

Can signal be improved?

I have a set top box on one of the televisions. Get a really poor signal on certain channels.
    Is this just standard or can anything be done to improve the channels that are giving the problem?

11 Comments

I have only a vague understanding of these things but I guess for the main channels it's either the box or the aerial.
    We ditched a rubbishy box for a TVonics.
    I will ask the techy-competent in this household if you don't get a more helpful answer!!

Get a booster
    like this ]http//ww…ers

see them in asda the other day as well

the best thing to cure a weak signal is a better aerial, out in the open as high as possible.

Boosters work, provided you have a half good signal in the first place, otherwise your just amplifying noise more than the actual tv signal.

get an aerial engineer to look at your setup, they'll advise you whats best, and if your not happy with what they do, dont pay.

Original Poster

chesso;8310075

I have only a vague understanding of these things but I guess for the … I have only a vague understanding of these things but I guess for the main channels it's either the box or the aerial. We ditched a rubbishy box for a TVonics.I will ask the techy-competent in this household if you don't get a more helpful answer!!

I realised that 'House' is on my channel 31 every evening but cant get a stable picture on that channel. Also often get similar on the more regular channels when it is raining hard. I was not sure if this was something that happens to everyone or if its a local issue.

BTW for them not watching the footie the original Italian Job is on Film 4. Not seen it for ages and its such a classic. :-D

Original Poster

karenhornby;8310117

the best thing to cure a weak signal is a better aerial, out in the open … the best thing to cure a weak signal is a better aerial, out in the open as high as possible.Boosters work, provided you have a half good signal in the first place, otherwise your just amplifying noise more than the actual tv signal.get an aerial engineer to look at your setup, they'll advise you whats best, and if your not happy with what they do, dont pay.

I have an aerial socket connection on the wall. Had them put in when place was rewired ages ago. Think they are connected to the main aerial in some way. (Dont know how exactly) Would a bog standard booster aerial be a better option than the house aerial setup?

WoolyM;8310216

I have an aerial socket connection on the wall. Had them put in when … I have an aerial socket connection on the wall. Had them put in when place was rewired ages ago. Think they are connected to the main aerial in some way. (Dont know how exactly) Would a bog standard booster aerial be a better option than the house aerial setup?

That aerial booster plugs into the existing house aerial connection so what normally goes into the TV goes into the booster and the from the booster to the TV, the booster is mains powered so enhances the signal. I have got one and works a treat! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Naeem786;8310239

That aerial booster plugs into the existing house aerial connection so … That aerial booster plugs into the existing house aerial connection so what normally goes into the TV goes into the booster and the from the booster to the TV, the booster is mains powered so enhances the signal. I have got one and works a treat! :thumbsup:

Sorry I am having a 'thick' moment. Can you give it to me A, B, C...........

works for me as well as i was getting problems with certain channels before I got one,

Ive not got the one on the link so cant say how good that one is though

WoolyM;8310269

Sorry I am having a 'thick' moment. Can you give it to me A, B, … Sorry I am having a 'thick' moment. Can you give it to me A, B, C...........

cable comes out the wall and instaed of going into the box goes into the booster, then youd need another cable from the booster to the box....hopefully sorted:thumbsup:

WoolyM;8310269

Sorry I am having a 'thick' moment. Can you give it to me A, B, … Sorry I am having a 'thick' moment. Can you give it to me A, B, C...........

Get ]THIS then plug the aerial into it and then get ]THIS and plug one end into the booster and the other to your TV! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Naeem786;8310296

Get ]THIS then plug the aerial into it and then get ]THIS and plug one … Get ]THIS then plug the aerial into it and then get ]THIS and plug one end into the booster and the other to your TV! :thumbsup:

Sorry, sometimes its just like pulling teeth :oops:
    Thanks
    I will see what I can find
    Thanks everyone (repped you all)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. WHY CANT I JUST TYPE IN THE TEXT BOX67
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3871520
      3. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2240
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17436163

See more discussions