Groups
    EXPIRED

Can some help me please. Laptop not booting up. Thank you :)

Hi, I have a Lenovo laptop here and can not get it to boot. I have put the recovery disks in. There are 3. I put the first one in the windows symbol comes up and it goes into the blue windows screen with the Lenovo logo on the rightish of the screen. A window comes up asking me to except t&c's of the OS. I accept, That window disappears and another window comes up. a command window and it says
    Microsoft Diskpart version 6.1.7600
    Copyright (c) 1999-2008 Microsoft
    Disk spins for a little then the same message as above comes up but with the added line of text saying
    On computer:MINNT-B19ENHP

Any help would be great.
    I can not type in the cmd box. I'm thinking it may be the HDD.
    Thanks

19 Comments

As per the instructions on this page, you should be seeing the recovery menu. Looks like you need to change your boot-up order so you boot from the DVD/CD Player first. The method you use to access the BIOS to change the boot-up order varies depending on model & also whhich 'flavour' of Windows you have. Have a look at this page for what to do.

Could be an update, it's happened to me before. Try taking out your battery and your motherboard battery, replacing them boot up. That's how I fixed mine.

Original Poster

Hi, thanks guys. It's a G570 unit running windows 7. I have changed the booting order to CD. I am just trying to get into the bios.

Original Poster

Well I'm in bios on the info page it seems to recognise HD I think
    says
    Hard Disk: WDC WD5000BPVT-24HXZT3

Is it brand new or do you have a data on it?

Either way f8 on boot up should get you into recovery.

Original Poster

Its second hand but all the data is on a separate HD so no info to be kept.

at a guess hard drive failure. will prob need to replace it.

Original Poster

spdavison

I'm thinking this may be the problem. If I replace the hard drive would I have to buy a new os disk?

Edited by: "mrman007" 10th Dec 2016

mrman007

I'm thinking this may be the problem. If I replace the hard drive would I … I'm thinking this may be the problem. If I replace the hard drive would I have to buy a new os disk?

If the one you have came with or was first installed on that machine then no.

Original Poster

Argoj

If the one you have came with or was first installed on that machine then … If the one you have came with or was first installed on that machine then no.

so if I install a hard drive would I simple put the recovery disks in? Thank you.

Do you have another pc where you can get a sata cable and test your hdd for errors before paying out for something you may not need? Chances are it's just the os that's screwed, I would take off your info and files if you can then try a fresh install, common issues like this could also be a cmos reset

As far as i am aware you will not be able to use the recovery discs with a new hard drive. I would say that the recovery discs were not made correctly.

Are you able to download and burn a copy of windows 7 from piratebay? and before anyone jumps in, no its not illegal if you have a legit copy, which in this case i presume you do.

Original Poster

mclovin9091

As far as i am aware you will not be able to use the recovery discs with … As far as i am aware you will not be able to use the recovery discs with a new hard drive. I would say that the recovery discs were not made correctly.Are you able to download and burn a copy of windows 7 from piratebay? and before anyone jumps in, no its not illegal if you have a legit copy, which in this case i presume you do.

Yes I bought this brand new direct from amazon. Would I have to download this on to a USB still and boot from there
    westy125

Do you have another pc where you can get a sata cable and test your hdd … Do you have another pc where you can get a sata cable and test your hdd for errors before paying out for something you may not need? Chances are it's just the os that's screwed, I would take off your info and files if you can then try a fresh install, common issues like this could also be a cmos reset

No I have a Mac.

The recovery manufacturer's disc that I have for my HP doesn't work and I just downloaded windows 7 OS from their website and used the key that cam with the laptop. Worked fine. Windows keys lock to the motherboard so if you have the original product key you will have no issues if you change the hard drive. The recovery system on windows 7 is a bit of a pain and nice to see they sorted that (sort of) with windows 10. I had hell of a job putting the original windows 7 on the HP. It got to about 50% and just stuck. My solution was a downloaded version of windows 7 and my original product key.

On the HP you can do a memory test and hard drive test in the bios under maintenance. Not sure if you have that on Lenovo. I have a Lenovo but it's running windows 10 so it may be different but I will have a look.

When you access the bios there are a few other settings that need to be set. You need to ensure that "Legacy" is enabled. In the bios boot order have you tried selecting the hard disc as the first boot.

On the 3 discs you have does it say anything on, i.e. are they a Lenovo disc or one which somebody has copied. Another laptop / pc could help here as it will list the files that are on the disc. If any of the discs are no good putting another hard drive in it will make no difference but all is not lost. If you need to download a new windows 7 iso image you can do it from here.

heidoc.net/joo…ool

Scroll down the page and download the file "windows ISO downloader.exe

Pick the OS which you have a licence for and download the file direct to disc. You will of course have to do this on another laptop / PC. Copy the file to a dvd and run it in your laptop. It will ask for your product key when installing windows. If you don't have it you can skip that page and you have 30 days to find it. Don't worry if you haven't got your windows product key as there are ways you can find it if its not on a sticker on the base of the laptop.

Original Poster

Smartguy1

The recovery manufacturer's disc that I have for my HP doesn't work and I … The recovery manufacturer's disc that I have for my HP doesn't work and I just downloaded windows 7 OS from their website and used the key that cam with the laptop. Worked fine. Windows keys lock to the motherboard so if you have the original product key you will have no issues if you change the hard drive. The recovery system on windows 7 is a bit of a pain and nice to see they sorted that (sort of) with windows 10. I had hell of a job putting the original windows 7 on the HP. It got to about 50% and just stuck. My solution was a downloaded version of windows 7 and my original product key.On the HP you can do a memory test and hard drive test in the bios under maintenance. Not sure if you have that on Lenovo. I have a Lenovo but it's running windows 10 so it may be different but I will have a look.When you access the bios there are a few other settings that need to be set. You need to ensure that "Legacy" is enabled. In the bios boot order have you tried selecting the hard disc as the first boot.On the 3 discs you have does it say anything on, i.e. are they a Lenovo disc or one which somebody has copied. Another laptop / pc could help here as it will list the files that are on the disc. If any of the discs are no good putting another hard drive in it will make no difference but all is not lost. If you need to download a new windows 7 iso image you can do it from here.https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-toolScroll down the page and download the file "windows ISO downloader.exePick the OS which you have a licence for and download the file direct to disc. You will of course have to do this on another laptop / PC. Copy the file to a dvd and run it in your laptop. It will ask for your product key when installing windows. If you don't have it you can skip that page and you have 30 days to find it. Don't worry if you haven't got your windows product key as there are ways you can find it if its not on a sticker on the base of the laptop.

Thanks for the great info.
    They are original lenovo disks.
    I do have the sticker on the bottom with the key number.

Edited by: "mrman007" 10th Dec 2016

One way to possibly test your hard drive is to take it out and buy a 2.5" disk caddy / hard drive enclosure. You can then check it on another pc to make sure it's ok. Although that test won't tell you if you have any corrupt windows files causing it no to boot but you will know if the drive is working correctly. My old mac just wouldn't start one day and thought it was the drive. I bought a caddy from PC World for about £7.00 and the drive was ok. Motherboard had failed. It's not a motherboard fault with yours but either a disk or boot error.

It's a while since I booted my Lenovo up so will have a look in the bios to see if anything else comes to mind.

Original Poster

flickflack

Try going into bios to see if hard disk is recognised … Try going into bios to see if hard disk is recognised https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/ht036045

cis_groupie

As per the instructions on this page, you should be seeing the recovery … As per the instructions on this page, you should be seeing the recovery menu. Looks like you need to change your boot-up order so you boot from the DVD/CD Player first. The method you use to access the BIOS to change the boot-up order varies depending on model & also whhich 'flavour' of Windows you have. Have a look at this page for what to do.

rodders443

Could be an update, it's happened to me before. Try taking out your … Could be an update, it's happened to me before. Try taking out your battery and your motherboard battery, replacing them boot up. That's how I fixed mine.

KrisLeeds

Is it brand new or do you have a data on it?

spdavison

spdavison

westy125

Do you have another pc where you can get a sata cable and test your hdd … Do you have another pc where you can get a sata cable and test your hdd for errors before paying out for something you may not need? Chances are it's just the os that's screwed, I would take off your info and files if you can then try a fresh install, common issues like this could also be a cmos reset

mclovin9091

As far as i am aware you will not be able to use the recovery discs with … As far as i am aware you will not be able to use the recovery discs with a new hard drive. I would say that the recovery discs were not made correctly.Are you able to download and burn a copy of windows 7 from piratebay? and before anyone jumps in, no its not illegal if you have a legit copy, which in this case i presume you do.

Smartguy1

The recovery manufacturer's disc that I have for my HP doesn't work and I … The recovery manufacturer's disc that I have for my HP doesn't work and I just downloaded windows 7 OS from their website and used the key that cam with the laptop. Worked fine. Windows keys lock to the motherboard so if you have the original product key you will have no issues if you change the hard drive. The recovery system on windows 7 is a bit of a pain and nice to see they sorted that (sort of) with windows 10. I had hell of a job putting the original windows 7 on the HP. It got to about 50% and just stuck. My solution was a downloaded version of windows 7 and my original product key.On the HP you can do a memory test and hard drive test in the bios under maintenance. Not sure if you have that on Lenovo. I have a Lenovo but it's running windows 10 so it may be different but I will have a look.When you access the bios there are a few other settings that need to be set. You need to ensure that "Legacy" is enabled. In the bios boot order have you tried selecting the hard disc as the first boot.On the 3 discs you have does it say anything on, i.e. are they a Lenovo disc or one which somebody has copied. Another laptop / pc could help here as it will list the files that are on the disc. If any of the discs are no good putting another hard drive in it will make no difference but all is not lost. If you need to download a new windows 7 iso image you can do it from here.https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-toolScroll down the page and download the file "windows ISO downloader.exePick the OS which you have a licence for and download the file direct to disc. You will of course have to do this on another laptop / PC. Copy the file to a dvd and run it in your laptop. It will ask for your product key when installing windows. If you don't have it you can skip that page and you have 30 days to find it. Don't worry if you haven't got your windows product key as there are ways you can find it if its not on a sticker on the base of the laptop.

Hi Guys just a thank you to all for your help. The wireless card and the hard drive had gone. Replaced drive. Working great now off the Ethernet connection.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Amazon Italy Galaxy S8 UK12
      2. Argos 3 for 2 reserving early44
      3. DashCam Recommendation With Front And Rear Camera Built In22
      4. £1500 55 inch 4K TV56

See more discussions