Groups
    EXPIRED

Can somebody please explain why anybody would pay over £600 for a phone?

You can get a decent flat screen tele, laptop or pc for this price. I think it's madness to pay this for a mobile.

30 Comments

Unfortunately its the time we live in. It's indoctrinated into our kids through advertising and we have let it happen! To me a phone box would be a blessing instead of getting chased around by customers and bosses (_;)

Why pay £100k for a Bentley when a £400 Vauxhall Nova will do the same thing. Personal choice

When has a £100k car remotely represented a £600 phone absolute tosh for an example...........

Banned

Same reason they buy a pushbike for over £500, or a car for over £25k mostly the element of posing (show off factor), also the element of low self esteem boost (retail therapy), too much money that they don't know what to spend it on next and as a replacement of other positives missing in their life.
    With phones the difference between a £200 phone and £600 phone is so negligible I don't get it either. Same with a bike over 500 or a car over 25k

People who are buying a £600 phone, aren't buying a £600 television, laptop or pc though, they're buying a £2000+ television. They obviously have a substantially higher income or willing to go into debt, therefore buy substantially higher priced goods.

Science is the rockets.
    Edited by: "Gynx" 14th Jul 2014

Money > Sense

Because most people work hard and can afford luxuries.

Personal preference?

Banned

ax12

Because most people work hard and can afford luxuries.

Or commonly they buy it on credit, then complain they can't afford to buy a house or save for a deposit.

A question of priorities.

Musician

Or commonly they buy it on credit, then complain they can't afford to buy … Or commonly they buy it on credit, then complain they can't afford to buy a house or save for a deposit.A question of priorities.

Or if you work, you can pay cash.

Gynx

People who are buying a £600 phone, aren't buying a £600 television, l … People who are buying a £600 phone, aren't buying a £600 television, laptop or pc though, they're buying a £2000+ television. They obviously have a substantially higher income or willing to go into debt, therefore buy substantially higher priced goods. Science is the rockets.

Not necessarily. The Apple iPhone for example is enormously popular amongst teenagers etc. who would struggle to buy a tv full stop - let alone spend £2k on one!

I think the actual reason is laziness (and possibly a bit of stupidity). The majority buy these phones on credit (i.e. a mobile contract) and tell themselves that the phone is free (or for the more expensive ones where you have to pay a bit upfront - "only £200") and they're just paying for the minutes etc - completely ignorant of the large premium they're paying every month.
    Edited by: "callum9999" 14th Jul 2014

why do you care what other people do ?

ax12

Or if you work, you can pay cash.

You can buy it in cash of course, but very few people do.

mattmerch

why do you care what other people do ?

Why do you care what other people care about?
    Edited by: "callum9999" 14th Jul 2014

but a tele, laptop or PC is not a mobile phone so why are you comparing it to them?

My last iPhone was £549 and I paid cash, I upgrade every year, however I am a iOS developer so I like the new editions to work with.

I think if you work and you can afford to then buy what you want, who are you to question why someone has bought something?

HTH
    Edited by: "mds1256" 14th Jul 2014

Cos Apple Just work
    Like Samsung Tv just work
    And peugeot lol
    Edited by: "foes4you" 14th Jul 2014

That are many circumstances where you could say "why has this person done that", but I guess it is personal choice.

Banned

I don't.

My devices tend to be Nexus devices these days, but work gives me an iPhone and iPad (both of which I despise).

In the vein of the thread; you'd probably question why I bought my car instead of a Yugo though...

Because it's (generally) their money to do with as they please.
    The same reason I paid £200 up front for the Galaxy Note 3 with a £27 a month contract, instead of getting a different phone. The Note 3 was the phone that I wanted and does what I want it to do.
    I wouldn't own the "marvelous" Moto G as it's not marvelous to me, I'd rather pay more and get a phone that works how I want/need it to work.
    Why buy an £800-£1000 laptop (note, laptop NOT Macbook) when you can get one for under £400? Because it will have better features, whether they're negligible or not, they are better features and some people want those extra features and are willing to pay for them.

Why go and stay in a £150 a night hotel when there's surely £50 a night hotels. Why go out to a restaurant when you can buy the items and cook at home for less, why buy a large screen TV instead of a 32" TV, why buy..........you get the gist :).
    Oh and why would anyone pay x £350-£400 for a PS4/Xbox One when they could buy a Wii U (:p) or a PS3/Xbox 360. Because they can and want to!
    I'm not a bag gal either but, the £40 Kipling bag I was given is better than ANY £10-£20 bag I've had in the past! You generally pays for what you gets :p. Newer phone, better spec laptop, posher/more featurefull hotel, larger (and most likely more features) TV, newer technology.
    Edited by: "bex85" 14th Jul 2014

most expensive phones are bought on contract so it normally comes out well under this price.

my galaxy note 3 came to £264 once I deduct the cost of the equivalent contract sim.

but if you can afford it, why not spoil yourself. it is not value for money but if you don't care about value then no worries. I find that a phone only lasts a year then it becomes quite out of date and starts to develop problems so you have to get a new one. At most it lasts 2 years, by which time I find it has become pretty much a dinosaur.

I would imagine its down to personal choice? I really don't get why folk question how much someone pays for a phone.

I buy my phones outright,not £600 but £550 for my last one. I would rather buy it outright and only have a £7.50 a month tariff.

I work hard for my money so will spend it on what I like as I'm sure many others do.

What someone spends their hard earned money on has nothing really to do with anyone else

They spend £600 on a phone because it used to cost £800 but they saw it on here as a deal....

haha

i think it is good that people splash out on phones as otherwise the tech companies would not bother investing in advancing the technology. the mobile phone has moved a long way within the last few years and all thanks to consumer's money funding R&D.

Original Poster

I agree everybody is free to buy what they want. I just think the £600+ phones are really poor value, for what they do I would expect to pay no more than a £100. For £600 I would expect a 3d printer built in that when you buy something online you press a button and it appears in front of you like Star Trek. Until then I will have to make do with technology that is slow and batteries that last only 5 mins.
    Edited by: "djh1975" 15th Jul 2014

Generally buying a phone at £600 would mean it is 'SIM-free' and unlocked to any specific network. This means any SIM card, and therefore any tariff, can be used in it. This can be used to keep the total cost of buying the device and using over a period down as you could use a PAYG SIM card or a very low monthly priced one. To get the same phone on contract you would probably have to sign up for a 24 month contract at a minimum (they are usually a lot more than this!) of £30 - £35 per month which is £720 - £840 for the period. Having a device that is SIM-free also makes selling the phone a lot easier and you are likely to get a better price for it as anyone can put their SIM card in and use it without having to pay for it to be unlocked

If you have to ask this question it probably means you do not have much disposable income.

People who have the money to spend have more choice, if that particular phone has all the features they are looking for and they have the money then they buy it.

Apple have ridiculous prices but some people really want their products - a lot of people will pay stupid money just to have the latest one.

It's called capitalism.

Nobody would bother to mug me for my phone.. (_;)

Nobody pays £600.00 for a phone. They pay £600.00 for a powerful computer (usually with a quad core processor and a substantial amount of memory) in an incredibly small, hand-held package with internet access often faster nowadays than the broadband they get at home, a sophisticated MP3 player, games console, and a more than adequate, convenient digital camera.

The fact that you can also make and receive calls on it is largely incidental.

therealpmuk

Nobody pays £600.00 for a phone. They pay £600.00 for a powerful computer … Nobody pays £600.00 for a phone. They pay £600.00 for a powerful computer (usually with a quad core processor and a substantial amount of memory) in an incredibly small, hand-held package with internet access often faster nowadays than the broadband they get at home, a sophisticated MP3 player, games console, and a more than adequate, convenient digital camera.The fact that you can also make and receive calls on it is largely incidental.

This.

Mine might as well not make calls...

Original Poster

therealpmuk

Nobody pays £600.00 for a phone. They pay £600.00 for a powerful computer … Nobody pays £600.00 for a phone. They pay £600.00 for a powerful computer (usually with a quad core processor and a substantial amount of memory) in an incredibly small, hand-held package with internet access often faster nowadays than the broadband they get at home, a sophisticated MP3 player, games console, and a more than adequate, convenient digital camera.The fact that you can also make and receive calls on it is largely incidental.

And how many people have phoned in to a radio show and been cut off because the line is so bad?

asked by someone who has no concept of the technology, design element, and cost of production of producing a smartphone, which for all intents and purposes is a mini computer - only one you can make voice calls on.

maybe you should learn how to use google before asking dumb questions on the 'net. lolz.

just in case you are struggling with what words to type into google to research this question, here's a linky:

digitaltrends.com/mob…er/!bggWqb
    Edited by: "fuhu78888" 16th Jul 2014
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Jury service1620
      2. New a camera to keep track of my Demintina Mother67
      3. What laptop to choose?11
      4. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??33

See more discussions