Can someone help me with this face mask?

Posted 5th Jun 2020
ebay.co.uk/itm…941

Is this mask good for the current climate? No doubt it looks silly but I need to go on a few flights for work quite soon. Is it actually a P3 mask? It says P3R.

Also, does anyone know if you need to change any filters etc?

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Better to look silly than a Govt stat on the useless daily press briefings
11 Comments
Yes it is P3 and yes it has replaceable filters. Seems a decent price tbh.

Look up the mnfr site to see how long the filters are supposed to last.
Better to look silly than a Govt stat on the useless daily press briefings
Anything in front of your mouth is better then nothing look silly like fly man but hey ho
Edited by: "_Tris_" 5th Jun
mas9905/06/2020 18:50

Yes it is P3 and yes it has replaceable filters. Seems a decent price …Yes it is P3 and yes it has replaceable filters. Seems a decent price tbh.Look up the mnfr site to see how long the filters are supposed to last.

Thanks! Pardon my ignorance, but what site is that?
mas9905/06/2020 18:50

Yes it is P3 and yes it has replaceable filters. Seems a decent price …Yes it is P3 and yes it has replaceable filters. Seems a decent price tbh.Look up the mnfr site to see how long the filters are supposed to last.

You meant manufacturer! My bad!
Which airline(s) will you be flying with?

That doesn't look as though it would meet the specific requirements of KLM, for example:

"You can buy a face mask, or make your own. It should fit snugly against the side of your face and cover the nose, mouth and chin and should consist of at least 2 layers of tightly woven fabric, such as cotton or linen.

If the face covering gets too moist, it’s advisable to change to a new one for your own comfort. Make sure to bring enough masks with you to last the entire flight (and don’t forget to take your return flight into account!).

Wearing a face coverage

When putting on your mask, make sure to cover your nose, mouth and chin.

Use the loops or ties to remove your mask again and do not touch the mask itself. Wash your hands with water and soap or use disinfectant hand gel immediately.

Eating and drinking

You can temporarily remove your mask while eating or drinking. Keep this period as short as possible. When removing the face coverage, make sure to follow the above-mentioned instructions. Store it in a clean space (e.g. in the original packaging or in a clean plastic bag). You’re not allowed to slide your mask under your chin or put it on your head.

"
IamMT05/06/2020 18:58

Which airline(s) will you be flying with?That doesn't look as though it …Which airline(s) will you be flying with?That doesn't look as though it would meet the specific requirements of KLM, for example:"You can buy a face mask, or make your own. It should fit snugly against the side of your face and cover the nose, mouth and chin and should consist of at least 2 layers of tightly woven fabric, such as cotton or linen. If the face covering gets too moist, it’s advisable to change to a new one for your own comfort. Make sure to bring enough masks with you to last the entire flight (and don’t forget to take your return flight into account!). Wearing a face coverage When putting on your mask, make sure to cover your nose, mouth and chin. Use the loops or ties to remove your mask again and do not touch the mask itself. Wash your hands with water and soap or use disinfectant hand gel immediately. Eating and drinking You can temporarily remove your mask while eating or drinking. Keep this period as short as possible. When removing the face coverage, make sure to follow the above-mentioned instructions. Store it in a clean space (e.g. in the original packaging or in a clean plastic bag). You’re not allowed to slide your mask under your chin or put it on your head."

Thanks for that. It will most likely be BA unless something changes! I hope its okay. I'll also bring spare generic masks
Ioa05/06/2020 19:00

Thanks for that. It will most likely be BA unless something changes! I …Thanks for that. It will most likely be BA unless something changes! I hope its okay. I'll also bring spare generic masks

BA's guidance seems less clear, but does suggest you bring spares & swap after at most 4 hours.
I hope you're prepared to self-isolate when returning to the UK
May be better off with FFP3 disposable ones. 3M 9332, 8835, or 8833 are valved options (most comfort but less protection for others).
Although these masks will provide you with the protection you need they are incredibly uncomfortable to wear for long durations.

It will make you tired as it’s more difficult to breath as you have to draw air in through the filters.

You’ll build up a lot of moisture inside the mask during long duration wear. If worn properly they will most likely cause discomfort the longer you wear them as they are designed to be tight fitting so the seal between mask and skin needs to remain intact which can cause rubbing and discomfort.

These are a designed to be a tight fitting mask usually worn in the construction industry and are generally worn for short duration work.

You look at the legislation for wearing such masks and for it to be effective the user must be cleanly shaven, face fit tested and competent in putting on and removing the mask properly to avoid contamination. Storing and cleaning the mask plays a key role also.

If you are planning to buy online avoid eBay. Order direct from tool station, Arco, screwfix for click and collect or delivery. At least the products are genuine and not risking buying a fake.
fearghalg06/06/2020 06:50

Although these masks will provide you with the protection you need they …Although these masks will provide you with the protection you need they are incredibly uncomfortable to wear for long durations. It will make you tired as it’s more difficult to breath as you have to draw air in through the filters. You’ll build up a lot of moisture inside the mask during long duration wear. If worn properly they will most likely cause discomfort the longer you wear them as they are designed to be tight fitting so the seal between mask and skin needs to remain intact which can cause rubbing and discomfort. These are a designed to be a tight fitting mask usually worn in the construction industry and are generally worn for short duration work. You look at the legislation for wearing such masks and for it to be effective the user must be cleanly shaven, face fit tested and competent in putting on and removing the mask properly to avoid contamination. Storing and cleaning the mask plays a key role also. If you are planning to buy online avoid eBay. Order direct from tool station, Arco, screwfix for click and collect or delivery. At least the products are genuine and not risking buying a fake.

Thank you for the info. Very informative!

Most likely, I'd be wearing them for around 3 hours at a time. Do you think that should be alright?

Also, this is from the official Toolstation store on eBay
Edited by: "Ioa" 6th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text