Can someone please advice me on the best camera fora family holiday

Found 15th Apr
Next month i going with my children to a beach holiday and i am thinking of buying a camera rather than using our smart phones.
Do i buy an action camera or compact or something else?
I liked the gopro hero black but my budget is around £200. Is it worth spending more than £300 on a camera mainly used on holidays
I really appreciate any advice.
Thank you in advance
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
We have a Canon Ixus, it takes fabulous photos and fits in the pocket nicely, it's about the size of a credit card and about 2cm thick. Easy to transport and carry.
I am no photographer but we went to Boston in November and at -5c I took this (the camera had been in my pocket for hours so it was very cold).

33641529-4KZLK.jpg
Edited by: "windym" 15th Apr
I always advice people to look on eBay for second hand canon cameras that come complete with their packing. These are often form people doing exactly what you are doing, the use them once or twice for an holiday. It's a chance to get a decent camera for less then half price.
There is a new go pro for £200

Depends where and what going to be using it for (landscape/people/indoor/low light) and who mainly using it.
windym4 h, 51 m ago

I am no photographer but we went to Boston in November and at -5c I took …I am no photographer but we went to Boston in November and at -5c I took this (the camera had been in my pocket for hours so it was very cold).[Image]

Thank you for your reply. looks great and the price is reasonable.
4TheManyNotTheFew15th Apr

I always advice people to look on eBay for second hand canon cameras that …I always advice people to look on eBay for second hand canon cameras that come complete with their packing. These are often form people doing exactly what you are doing, the use them once or twice for an holiday. It's a chance to get a decent camera for less then half price.

Thank you for your reply
I am a little bit sceptical on buying used cameras but i might give it a go.
Any idea which Canon model i should be looking for?

Thanks in advance

By the way , i like your user name
Edited by: "saam77" 15th Apr
mrwhitelabel2 h, 51 m ago

There is a new go pro for £200Depends where and what going to be using it …There is a new go pro for £200Depends where and what going to be using it for (landscape/people/indoor/low light) and who mainly using it.

Thank you for your reply. yes it's £199 for the intro model, i am not sure how good it is. i have no experience with Cameras.
saam7726 m ago

Thank you for your replyI am a little bit sceptical on buying used cameras …Thank you for your replyI am a little bit sceptical on buying used cameras but i might give it a go. Any idea which Canon model i should be looking for?Thanks in advance By the way , i like your user name

A long running series has been the Canon G series. I started with the G2 which although now old it is 5mb and takes great images. One of those you would get for about £30 believe it or not now. But you should try for something like the G16 (higher the number the more recent the model). These are small enough to carry about easy but pack a lot of features with decent zoom and video. To get much better then these you would need to go the full DSLR route and that bring in more weight, additional lenses and almost endless cost.

With luck you might find a nearly new or new you can pick up local from a private seller who will be happy to show it working. With care ebay is fine, the are a lot more decent people out their then other people think. Feel free to run any choice past me if you think I can help.
windym5 h, 54 m ago

We have a Canon Ixus, it takes fabulous photos and fits in the pocket …We have a Canon Ixus, it takes fabulous photos and fits in the pocket nicely, it's about the size of a credit card and about 2cm thick. Easy to transport and carry.

Good camera too, but not as robust as it could be. I know a few who have had to replace them so I wouldn't recommend those second hand.
beach holiday = sand + water= not good for cameras unless meant for those conditions

Thanks :-) we can hope.A long running series has been the Canon G series. …Thanks :-) we can hope.A long running series has been the Canon G series. I started with the G2 which although now old it is 5mb and takes great images. One of those you would get for about £30 believe it or not now. But you should try for something like the G16 (higher the number the more recent the model). These are small enough to carry about easy but pack a lot of features with decent zoom and video. To get much better then these you would need to go the full DSLR route and that bring in more weight, additional lenses and almost endless cost.With luck you might find a nearly new or new you can pick up local from a private seller who will be happy to show it working. With care ebay is fine, the are a lot more decent people out their then other people think. Feel free to run any choice past me if you think I can help.

Thank you very much for your advice (y). I will start searching eBay right away

Good camera too, but not as robust as it could be. I know a few who have …Good camera too, but not as robust as it could be. I know a few who have had to replace them so I wouldn't recommend those second hand.

Yes good cameras.

Why not as robust as could be? - ours has taken the hits (dropped) and is still good as new, years later. Do you have one?

Who said to buy one secondhand? I don't know anyone who has had to replace one - new or secondhand.

Thanks :-) we can hope.A long running series has been the Canon G series. …Thanks :-) we can hope.A long running series has been the Canon G series. I started with the G2 which although now old it is 5mb and takes great images. One of those you would get for about £30 believe it or not now. But you should try for something like the G16 (higher the number the more recent the model). These are small enough to carry about easy but pack a lot of features with decent zoom and video. To get much better then these you would need to go the full DSLR route and that bring in more weight, additional lenses and almost endless cost.With luck you might find a nearly new or new you can pick up local from a private seller who will be happy to show it working. With care ebay is fine, the are a lot more decent people out their then other people think. Feel free to run any choice past me if you think I can help.

After a long search i realised that i have to buy either a good waterproof camera / action camera ( i am not sure how the stills quality in those cameras) , or buy two separate budget cameras waterproof one and normal one. which i doubt i can get this for £200 budget
Any suggestions?
The are some decent cameras you can get waterproof covers for but it's not something I've been interested in myself. Another option that might be more flexible is a cheap waterproof video camera and a decent everyday camera. Or you could just wrap ya phone in cling film for the beech :-)
4TheManyNotTheFew20th Apr

The are some decent cameras you can get waterproof covers for but it's not …The are some decent cameras you can get waterproof covers for but it's not something I've been interested in myself. Another option that might be more flexible is a cheap waterproof video camera and a decent everyday camera. Or you could just wrap ya phone in cling film for the beech :-)

In your opinion, do you think the gopro hero6 black is good for everyday use?
Never used them, These cameras are built to take images while the camera is moving and that's why the are small so you can put them on a bike or whatever. But the reason they are small is also the reason why they can't compete with full size cameras for quality or features. I don't know but I suspect almost any standard camera built today would produce better result of moving objects then one of these. But to be honest it's all about what you want. If you only view your images and videos on a phone they'll be fine. But if you want large printouts like posters or want to view via 50in TV then I'm not so sure the result would be so pleasing to the eye.
Thank you very much, you have been very helpful
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants