Can someone please explain why some of these phones sell for so much more then others?

Found 10th Jul 2008
I am trying to price to sell a Nokia 6500 slide (black) that I got on contract but don't need. I am trying to see what they sell for but there sems to be a HUGE discrepancy about what they sell for on fleabay. Here are some examples. Can anyone please explain what the huge discrepancy is for - it can't just be for a bit of software? How much do you think my bog standard one is worth?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nok…318

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nok…318

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nok…318

Thanks

14 Comments

Well the 1st link was being bought by a scam bidder and the other 2 links are exactly the same item number but they are for a brand new phone so you will have to factor in that yours is second hand and work out a price from there Edit - is yours new or used?

It is new on the o2 website for £159.99 so you can use that as a price guide i would think

shop.o2.co.uk/mob…all

Original Poster

pinkkitty2007;2495924

Well the 1st link was being bought by a scam bidder and the other 2 lins … Well the 1st link was being bought by a scam bidder and the other 2 lins are exactly the same item number but they are for a brand new phone so you will have to factor in that yours is second hand and work out a price from there Edit - is yours new or used?

Thanks. I did n't even see that - how can you tell it was a scam bidder? Mine is brand new in box (not even opened the box) but currently locked to orange

Ebay is a nightmare for selling mobile phones, I have sold 3 over the last year and every one was attempted to be scammed at least twice (took me several attemps to sell to a genuine bidder). basically they bid it up to a huge amount so that they guarantee winning the phone then try to get your bank details or send you money via some other dodgy method.

Also the lastet scam is, They buy your phone on ebay and pay via paypal (all appears fine) then they say phone is broken and claim money back from paypal they then send you back a phone that is the same model as yours but broken (basically swap your phone for a broken one). Make sure you make a note of your phone Seriel Number, this is usually under the battery cover.

Good luck

Original Poster

pinkkitty2007;2495924

Well the 1st link was being bought by a scam bidder and the other 2 links … Well the 1st link was being bought by a scam bidder and the other 2 links are exactly the same item number but they are for a brand new phone so you will have to factor in that yours is second hand and work out a price from there Edit - is yours new or used?It is new on the o2 website for £159.99 so you can use that as a price guide i would thinkhttp://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/Nokia/6500_Classic?lastPage=/mobile_phones/Pay_And_Go/viewall

Not sure that is the phone? This is a slide one - not sure o2 sell it

Original Poster

sonyphone;2495957

Ebay is a nightmare for selling mobile phones, I have sold 3 over the … Ebay is a nightmare for selling mobile phones, I have sold 3 over the last year and every one was attempted to be scammed at least twice (took me several attemps to sell to a genuine bidder). basically they bid it up to a huge amount so that they guarantee winning the phone then try to get your bank details or send you money via some other dodgy method.Also the lastet scam is, They buy your phone on ebay and pay via paypal (all appears fine) then they say phone is broken and claim money back from paypal they then send you back a phone that is the same model as yours but broken (basically swap your phone for a broken one). Make sure you make a note of your phone Seriel Number, this is usually under the battery cover.Good luck

oh goud this sounds like a nightmare.

6500 are a nightmare to get unlocked on orange. They cost £25-35 and take a few days to unlock.
A good price for your phone would be around £100-£120 - not more as some stores are selling them for £130

It's a very nice phone I would have been interested if it wasn't locked to orange, shame.

I would put it on with a buy it now price and only accept paypal. Also keep evidence of S/No, maybee take a photo.

Looking at the comments above the sensible idea would be to sell it on HUKD!
No fees and less chance of being scammed.
I would imagine, by the time you take off fees £120 on fleabay is about the same
as £105-£110 on here so start it at £115......

Have a look at the completed listing for the Nokia 6500..will give you a rough idea how much on average they sell for.

completed.shop.ebay.co.uk/ite…loZ

sonyphone;2495957

Ebay is a nightmare for selling mobile phones, I have sold 3 over the … Ebay is a nightmare for selling mobile phones, I have sold 3 over the last year and every one was attempted to be scammed at least twice (took me several attemps to sell to a genuine bidder). basically they bid it up to a huge amount so that they guarantee winning the phone then try to get your bank details or send you money via some other dodgy method.Also the lastet scam is, They buy your phone on ebay and pay via paypal (all appears fine) then they say phone is broken and claim money back from paypal they then send you back a phone that is the same model as yours but broken (basically swap your phone for a broken one). Make sure you make a note of your phone Seriel Number, this is usually under the battery cover.Good luck

ive sold 3 mobile phones no problems, must got lucky

Original Poster

mustafa;2496042

6500 are a nightmare to get unlocked on orange. They cost £25-35 and take … 6500 are a nightmare to get unlocked on orange. They cost £25-35 and take a few days to unlock. A good price for your phone would be around £100-£120 - not more as some stores are selling them for £130

ok - thanks - will advertise for that - I would never have worked it out.

Original Poster

sonyphone;2496055

It's a very nice phone I would have been interested if it wasn't locked … It's a very nice phone I would have been interested if it wasn't locked to orange, shame.I would put it on with a buy it now price and only accept paypal. Also keep evidence of S/No, maybee take a photo.

Are you interested in this at the price minus unlocking fee - pm me if interested thanks

Original Poster

simon012;2496074

Looking at the comments above the sensible idea would be to sell it on … Looking at the comments above the sensible idea would be to sell it on HUKD!No fees and less chance of being scammed.I would imagine, by the time you take off fees £120 on fleabay is about the sameas £105-£110 on here so start it at £115......

Good idea will post it tonight. Thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18206624
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769188
    3. Mercedes-Benz recalls 400,000 cars in UK over airbag fault11
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread427214624

See more discussions