Groups

Can someone recommend a bank with high interest for £5,000 for someone aged 17

Banned
    I have £5,000 thats just sitting in a low interest account doing nothing so I thought I would be good to put the money into a account with a fairly high interest.

I was going to apply for the account at the post office that pays 2.9% however after reading the t&c's, you need to be over 18.

Any advice would be helpful. Looking for around 3%, obviously a little lower in most cases.

14 Comments

put it in mine, i'll take a lot of interest in it

Original Poster Banned

michelleleemoo

put it in mine, i'll take a lot of interest in it

Lol, you wish X)

How long can you lock the money away for?

speedy1477

Lol, you wish X)

is that a no? drat

Original Poster Banned

rwm24

How long can you lock the money away for?

I'm looking for a easy access account because I've already got 4 other accounts with money tied up.

Isa would be your best bet. Must be able to find 3% somewhere and it's tax free.

Original Poster Banned

gbspurs

Isa would be your best bet. Must be able to find 3% somewhere and it's … Isa would be your best bet. Must be able to find 3% somewhere and it's tax free.

Sorry I forogt to include, I already have a ISA.

In that case wait until April

speedy1477

I'm looking for a easy access account because I've already got 4 other … I'm looking for a easy access account because I've already got 4 other accounts with money tied up.

Have a poke around moneyfacts.co.uk

Original Poster Banned

gbspurs

In that case wait until April

I'm going to do that then but I would like any extra money that is possible so I thought i could get a little extra by changing accounts in the meantime.

rwm24

Have a poke aroundhttp://moneyfacts.co.uk

Thanks

Same age as you. Looking to do the same but I was looking to put it in a ISA.

Original Poster Banned

mighty mugger

Same age as you. Looking to do the same but I was looking to put it in a … Same age as you. Looking to do the same but I was looking to put it in a ISA.

If you look around, there are some good ISA accounts however at the present moment but you cant expect high interests such as a couple of years ago.

The most annoying thing for me is that can you can put upto £5,100 per tax year into a ISA.

Edited by: "speedy1477" 9th Feb 2011

You are better off investing the money IMO.

In My Opinion

Investing would be semi easy access. and if you picked the right ones would yield you a higher income than the banks (since you have a loaded ISA already. Higher risk as well, but potentialy higher reward, come check out the sharedealers thread :P
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism915
      2. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1220
      3. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay49
      4. Tesco Recalls 1,000's of products!​11

See more discussions