Can someone recommend a healthy air fryer or halogen oven that actually cooks chips nicely?

Found 13th Dec 2015
Had a Breville Halo Fryer a while back and never managed to get nice chips out of it, just mushed them up and my partners mum had the same problem with hers. Eventually just got a deep fat fryer but, want to give an actifry/air fryer/halogen oven a go again. So am hoping someone can recommend one that actually cooks chips nicely, preferably every time but, would settle for almost every time as nothing is perfect :p.
Fortunately was able to send the Halo fryer back but, don't want to be disappointed again. So much choice out there and everything gets mixed reviews and just struggling so would like personal recommendations :).

ETA: Would be looking at making our own chips, rather than using frozen chips.
Community Updates
AskFryerOvenAir Fryer
16 Comments
We have used an actifry now for around 3-4 years. At the start it was hard to avoid the mush! So many diifer things to take into consideration to avoid the mush. We always get perfect chips using Asda white label value brand straight cut fry chips! Try those in your halo fryer.Personally giveup the zillion combos as found those chips always work. Ohh and Lidls straight cut fry chips also (not the french fries ones)
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 13th Dec 2015
We've been using the halo by Breville (the one you can tilt) and love the chips that come out of it.
We have the Tefal Actifry... Most of the things I have tried take the same time in it as they do in the oven. Usually 15 mins for perfect fries... At the start - it is trial & error with different brands to see how long they would take...
Original Poster
Have you tried making your own chips in the actifry? Reason for looking into it again is because my partners gone right off frozen chips and we always have potatoes in and could do with more freezer space (currently have two bags of unopened chips because my partner just doesn't want them at all).
I wanted an actifry until i was told you can only use bought chips as fresh ones don't work, might as well stay with oven chips if that's the case
xscrafter

I wanted an actifry until i was told you can only use bought chips as … I wanted an actifry until i was told you can only use bought chips as fresh ones don't work, might as well stay with oven chips if that's the case

We use the Phillips Airfryer and that does frozen and fresh chips very well.
Original Poster
NGC danger

We use the Phillips Airfryer and that does frozen and fresh chips very … We use the Phillips Airfryer and that does frozen and fresh chips very well.

My partner didn't know I'd put a thread up so has been looking and just told me the Phillips one seems to be the best but, is now looking into the Duronics ones which look the same but are cheaper.
bex85

My partner didn't know I'd put a thread up so has been looking and just … My partner didn't know I'd put a thread up so has been looking and just told me the Phillips one seems to be the best but, is now looking into the Duronics ones which look the same but are cheaper.

We use ours a few times a week, We bought an oil sprayer and when we do fresh chips we spray a little olive oil on them and just give the basket a shake as well. It does bacon superbly in fact depending on the size it will cook most meats well.
Phillips airfryer
xscrafter

I wanted an actifry until i was told you can only use bought chips as … I wanted an actifry until i was told you can only use bought chips as fresh ones don't work, might as well stay with oven chips if that's the case

load of rubbish, we use fresh chips in ours come out lovely
I cook chips from potatoes in actifry, and roasties. For roasties I prefer to microwave for a few minutes first to make sure they are fully cooked in the centre, though have done then from raw.
The secret of good chips in these machines is to use Maris Piper or King Edward spuds.
I have the actifry and everything has come out of it lovely so far , had no problems with homage fresh chips and frozen bought chips and also works excellently for chicken nuggets/strips and sausages .....we have the smaller one and it's probably big enough to cook chips+nuggets/strips/sausages for about 3 people .
I would recommend it to anybody
Thanks guys I may get one now you have told me they come out good
Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies, been very informative :).
Now to look for decent deals :D.
Use floury potatoes or baking potatoes e.g. Maris Piper, Desiree, Estima. Waxy ones won't crisp, and burn easily because of a high sugar content. Fresh potatoes taste better than ones left for weeks.

Cut, wash and dry the chips. Coat with olive oil and pre-cook in the microwave - 10 minutes per kg on high. I do 2 batches of 1kg to go into a halogen oven with a chip accessory. Then 15-20 mins 200C in the halogen oven, turn over and cook for another 15 minutes.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants