Groups

Can someone recommend me some decent road cycling pedals?

As above really, it took me 6 months to chose my bike and now I am finding choosing pedals just as difficult! weight vs action vs cost? Its driving me crazy, my budget is £1 - £70 I don't want to spend more than the top end really, I am torn between Look and Shimano at the moment. any help advice will be greatly appreciated!

14 Comments

Go for what feels right, pointless knackering up your knees to save on a few grams

Original Poster

Pluun

Don't bikes come with perfectly adequate pedals?What next?The ideal … Don't bikes come with perfectly adequate pedals?What next?The ideal clagginess of handlebar tape? FFS ! oOI bet you got kitted out with your lycra first.

Most bikes don't come with pedals! Can you recommend some claggy handlebar tape instead then?? As for the lycra Im more into PVC! oO

Edited by: "Adder69" 31st Oct 2016

It would help if you mentioned what kind of cycling you do?

If you tend to do any walking at all in between sessions, most people would suggest MTB pedals that are pretty much just as good. Using MTB cycling shoes, the cleats are recessed and are much more comfortable for walking about. These are a good starter pair.

wiggle.co.uk/shi…ls/

[img]wigglestatic.com/pro…jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7[/img]

Banned

Adder69

Most bikes don't come with pedals! Can you recommend some claggy … Most bikes don't come with pedals! Can you recommend some claggy handlebar tape instead then?? As for the lycra Im more into PVC! oO

Mine did.
    Mind you, I had to "pay" for them.
    As much as £40 from TESCO for the whole lot
    I got a seat, wheels and a nice big cardboard box, all included. oO
    I wouldn't normally pay that much but I think they saw me coming.
    Re tape. Sneak some electrician's taps from your dad's tool drawers.
    Red is nice.
    Dunno about pvc but I've a nice wet suit that has shrunk.

Home hints for the cool guy no 36...Don't wear a wet suit to NY eve parties.
    I did.....once.
    Edited by: "Pluun" 31st Oct 2016

Original Poster

LetoKynes

It would help if you mentioned what kind of cycling you do?If you tend to … It would help if you mentioned what kind of cycling you do?If you tend to do any walking at all in between sessions, most people would suggest MTB pedals that are pretty much just as good. Using MTB cycling shoes, the cleats are recessed and are much more comfortable for walking about. These are a good starter pair. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/[img]http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360008792/shimano-m520-black-pedal.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7[/img]

Errr the clue was in the title!! Road cycling shoes?? I can see I'm wasting my time here! lol

Shimano range, I use r540 for commuter and r550 for "better" bike

Adder69

Errr the clue was in the title!! Road cycling shoes?? I can see I'm … Errr the clue was in the title!! Road cycling shoes?? I can see I'm wasting my time here! lol

The reason I asked was because many road cyclists end up using MTB pedals for reasons I've already mentioned above. If you look on any cycling forum you'll see "MTB vs road pedals" come up time and time again. Realistically, you won't be gaining much if anything at all by using road pedals and shoes while you lose the freedom to walk comfortably without wearing down your cleats.

I bought cheapie exustars for under £20. Have lasted over 3000 miles, and the keo cleats can be bought for really cheap.

Surely Shimano sdp 540's (forgive me if name is slightly wrong) are right up your street. £40-50 in a bike shop, but online at Wiggle they're about £23. They're ideal. Got a pair myself and they're perfect.

I use Shimano A520s on my hybrid (SPD) and Shimano 105s on my road bike (SPD-SL). It depends entirely on what type of cleat system you want to use, and what type of road shoes you already have. If you have standard road shoes then you'll need to use an SPD-SL system, and I would recommend using Shimano pedals.
    Edited by: "roof30" 1st Nov 2016

have you bought your shoes yet,
    if not consider mtb pedals and cleats,
    m520 £15-20 or M540 (skinnier spindle) £28-40 in you decide on MTB style spd shoes, as above, cleats covered by outer sole so can walk on easily

otherwise for pure road shoes
    stick with shimano always well made, reliable and longevity

Shimano R540 SPD-SL Clipless Road Pedals £24
    or Shimano 105 5800 SPD-SL CARBON Clipless Road Pedals £58
    seem to be the popular ones on all the sites
    Edited by: "whatyadoinsucka" 1st Nov 2016

Original Poster

whatyadoinsucka

have you bought your shoes yet,if not consider mtb pedals and cleats,

I have two pairs of Scott Comp Pro MTB shoes fitted with Shimano SH51 and SH56 cleats already, I have now bought some Scott Comp road she's too these have the SPD-SL hole as well as the standard SPD holes, I have the M520 pedals fitted to my MTB, I find them ok, although, a few times I have needed to bail from the bike and found my feet haven't come out even with the SH56 cleats (before someone asks, yes I have them on the lowest setting!). Not that this is a problem for on the roads. I have only recently got back into road cycling the last time I road on the roads was the late 80's early 90's and I cant remember there being any SPD-SL's about then? Talking to members of my cycle club they all rave about SPD-SL pedals, talking about weight and power transfer being better. I have tried my SPD's on my road bike but it feels to loose!?!

Banned

Adder69

I have two pairs of Scott Comp Pro MTB shoes fitted with Shimano SH51 and … I have two pairs of Scott Comp Pro MTB shoes fitted with Shimano SH51 and SH56 cleats already, I have now bought some Scott Comp road she's too these have the SPD-SL hole as well as the standard SPD holes, I have the M520 pedals fitted to my MTB, I find them ok, although, a few times I have needed to bail from the bike and found my feet haven't come out even with the SH56 cleats (before someone asks, yes I have them on the lowest setting!). Not that this is a problem for on the roads. I have only recently got back into road cycling the last time I road on the roads was the late 80's early 90's and I cant remember there being any SPD-SL's about then? Talking to members of my cycle club they all rave about SPD-SL pedals, talking about weight and power transfer being better. I have tried my SPD's on my road bike but it feels to loose!?!

This is worse than buying a coffee.
    "Latte? Capuchino? skinny? Blah? Blah? Blah?oO
    Oh for the days you just went into a shop and 2 mins later you came out with one that you liked the colour of.

Adder69

I have two pairs of Scott Comp Pro MTB shoes fitted with Shimano SH51 and … I have two pairs of Scott Comp Pro MTB shoes fitted with Shimano SH51 and SH56 cleats already, I have now bought some Scott Comp road she's too these have the SPD-SL hole as well as the standard SPD holes, I have the M520 pedals fitted to my MTB, I find them ok, although, a few times I have needed to bail from the bike and found my feet haven't come out even with the SH56 cleats (before someone asks, yes I have them on the lowest setting!). Not that this is a problem for on the roads. I have only recently got back into road cycling the last time I road on the roads was the late 80's early 90's and I cant remember there being any SPD-SL's about then? Talking to members of my cycle club they all rave about SPD-SL pedals, talking about weight and power transfer being better. I have tried my SPD's on my road bike but it feels to loose!?!

get the Shimano 105 5800 SPD-SL CARBON Clipless Road Pedals £58 job done..
    to be honest i find with mtb gear if you make do you'll end up buying 2 or 3 times, sometimes it is far cheaper just to buy the recommended one, that is more expensive,

I've done this with waterproofs, jackets, pumps, camelbak etc etc

also get signed upto singletrackworld, lots of roadies on the forum, you'll have even more confusio, although read through the chaff you'll see certain pedals stand out
    Edited by: "whatyadoinsucka" 1st Nov 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Virgin media sign up12
      2. Samsung Galaxy S622
      3. Samsung Galaxy S8 Deal £452 at Sky Mobile - Would it work ?11
      4. Best IPTV Currently22

See more discussions