Can this site's search function get any worse? YES! It just has.

Banned 21 replies
Found 31st May 2008
What has happened to the search function? It used to be pretty awful by bringing results back in a completely random date order but at least showing the date posted in a clear place on the right.

Now I get back a detailed view rather than just the thread title and have to scan each thread looking for the date posted.

I despair when web designers get things like this so wrong.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
21 Comments

i thought it was me csiman - trying to check whether an item had been posted - arghhhhhhh spent ages - so if i have duplicated (dont think so) well .... i apologise

The search is absolutely useless and sometimes utterly random. Key words you'd assume would bring up a post you made (such as the entire title) often bring back completly odd results. It's no wonder there are so many dupes, you're better off doing a site search via Google to find anything older than a day here.

Not to insult HUKD though, just something that can be improved upon.

Yes I just searched and wasn't good at all

I agree with the above but advanced search seems to be a bit better. I just tend to use that now.

Now I get back a detailed view rather than just the thread title and have … Now I get back a detailed view rather than just the thread title and have to scan each thread looking for the date posted.

Have you turned on "full details" or something ?

FAO all - the advanced search is much better for narrowing down what you want. I have no problems with the basic search - but remember you must use + signs in front of multiple words, and a space in between them, such as +ant +bully or even put it in quotation marks for best results, e.g. "ant bully".

Banned

emmajk42;2215122

Have you turned on "full details" or something ? FAO all - the advanced … Have you turned on "full details" or something ? FAO all - the advanced search is much better for narrowing down what you want. I have no problems with the basic search - but remember you must use + signs in front of multiple words, and a space in between them, such as +ant +bully or even put it in quotation marks for best results, e.g. "ant bully".

emma is it possible to have the ability to search in date order?

I could write the code for you if you like....

Original Poster Banned

emmajk42;2215122

Have you turned on "full details" or something ?

No - it just changed from this morning. I have Simple View set.

imranmaz;2215162

emma is it possible to have the ability to search in date order?I could … emma is it possible to have the ability to search in date order?I could write the code for you if you like....

Please Emma, help to get this sort sequence fixed. It is just so dumb at the moment.

imranmaz;2215162

emma is it possible to have the ability to search in date order?I could … emma is it possible to have the ability to search in date order?I could write the code for you if you like....

When we changed the site over, the search results WERE in date order. There was an uproar, people saying they couldn't find anything. It was since changed to the current system.

csiman;2215418

No - it just changed from this morning. I have Simple View set.Please … No - it just changed from this morning. I have Simple View set.Please Emma, help to get this sort sequence fixed. It is just so dumb at the moment.

I really don't understand what problem you are having. Want to post a screenshot?

My main problem is just about things not being in date order, so I just use the advanced search instead. Like when i type in PS3 for example, it brings up the top result for something which is around three weeks old and the results dont appear to be in any chronological order.

Original Poster Banned

emmajk42;2215435

When we changed the site over, the search results WERE in date order. … When we changed the site over, the search results WERE in date order. There was an uproar, people saying they couldn't find anything. It was since changed to the current system. I really don't understand what problem you are having. Want to post a screenshot?

I cant recall anything but everyone moaning about the change to random order. Date order is far better and have never seen anyone say they prefer it as it stands.

The current search is in order of relevance, or so I am told.

Original Poster Banned

emmajk42;2215573

The current search is in order of relevance, or so I am told.

Yes thats what we have been continually told. the trouble is, is that its doesn't appear relevant at all!

I doubt you will find one member who likes it as it stands. EVERY other site I use comes back in date order. The search order on this site is just plain bizarre.

For example, say I wanted to find this thread. i would search using the keyword "search". try it and see what utter garbage the search returns :x

csiman;2215597

Yes thats what we have been continually told. the trouble is, is that its … Yes thats what we have been continually told. the trouble is, is that its doesn't appear relevant at all! I doubt you will find one member who likes it as it stands. EVERY other site I use comes back in date order. The search order on this site is just plain bizarre.For example, say I wanted to find this thread. i would search using the keyword "search". try it and see what utter garbage the search returns :x

Can you see how many times the word search has been used? Of course there are going to be loads of results. If i wanted to find this thread, I'd go to advanced search, put "search" as the keyword, make sure it is titles only, select the "misc" forum only, and search.

Original Poster Banned

emmajk42;2215774

Can you see how many times the word search has been used? Of course there … Can you see how many times the word search has been used? Of course there are going to be loads of results. If i wanted to find this thread, I'd go to advanced search, put "search" as the keyword, make sure it is titles only, select the "misc" forum only, and search.

Exactly my point. Why should I have to jump through hoops just to find a thread that is 5 minutes old?

I still dont recall anyone complaining about the old date order sequencing.

Banned

csiman;2216107

Exactly my point. Why should I have to jump through hoops just to find a … Exactly my point. Why should I have to jump through hoops just to find a thread that is 5 minutes old?I still dont recall anyone complaining about the old date order sequencing.

I'd like to know which people wanted the date order scrapped... probably not on the site any more... heard that mental institutions no longer have internet access...

It is specially annoying when you want to search for latest deals and you see hundereds of thread come on the top which are already expired, sold out etc:?

kashi;2216230

It is specially annoying when you want to search for latest deals and you … It is specially annoying when you want to search for latest deals and you see hundereds of thread come on the top which are already expired, sold out etc:?

Solution - use advanced search - also press "exclude expired"

Banned

SELECT * FROM data_table WHERE *match criteria* ORDER BY date_added

Banned

solution - ask someone else to find it for you, thats what i do - lol;-)

Original Poster Banned

sassie;2216350

solution - ask someone else to find it for you, thats what i do - lol;-)

LOL - you are not alone. I even had to start a thread yesterday for someone to help find a thread.

Maybe we need a new sub-section called WHEREISTHATDAMNTHREAD ;-)

Banned

Agree with the others on this, the search on here is terrible, by far the worst I've used on any forum.

Emma do you have a link to the posts where people complained about it being in date order? I've just tried about 6 different searches to find them but (funnily enough) couldn't find anything related to it (apart from complaints like this one)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247681
    2. The Walking Dead Thread (opinion, spoilers Rumors)74574
    3. Anyone else bored of video gaming3358
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769661

See more discussions