can u sleep in contact lense?

Found 8th May
Other the years heard that various people sleep in contact lense. Speaking to neighbour other day and he also states this. I was always advised that "by doing this you'll go blind" is this true? And has anyone else got experience from sleeping with their lenses one? Many thanks
Community Updates
9 Comments
I prefer a bed personally
Bandicoot3 m ago

I prefer a bed personally

Over the years heard that various people sleep in contact lense. Speaking to neighbour other day and he also states this. I was always advised that "by doing this you'll go blind" is this true? And has anyone else got experiences from sleeping with their lenses in?

Many thanks
deleted396333
I know a mates wife got 30 days contact lenses. She got one eye infected and can't ware contact lens in that eye now. She just wares one dally len in one eye. Daily disposable is the way to go and don't ware every day to give eyes a rest
Edited by: "wayners" 8th May
wayners2 m ago

I know a mates wife got 30 days contact lenses. She got one eye infected …I know a mates wife got 30 days contact lenses. She got one eye infected and can't ware contact lens in that eye now. She just wares one dally len.Daily disposable is the way to go and don't ware every day to give eyes a rest

Thanks yes that's always what I've been advised. I had a infection a while back and was told to stop wearing them for a week when infection went I was allowed to use them again
Been using contacts for over 15 years now.
I get the Specsavers continious wear lens. You can wear them for 30 days, continious, and at the end of the month, take them out and discard them.
They now do however recommend that now you keep them in for 6 days, and take them out the 7th and rest your eyes.

I wear them on a like 5-2 split, mainly for work, and sleep in them etc.

I always thought, the less you handle the, the less the chance of infection.
It depends on the contact lenses. Each type of contact lens has different instructions, which indicate how long you can wear them for and whether or not you can sleep with them on. In order to be able to sleep with them on, they need to be very permeable to oxygen. If not, your eyes do not get enough oxygen while you’re sleeping. The longer you sleep with the wrong type of contact and deprive your eyes of the oxygen they need, the worse it can get.

By the way, this also applies when our eyes are open - choose contacts that are more permeable to oxygen overall even if you do not intend to sleep with them, as they promote better eye health. I just switched contacts recently for this very reason.

As for which type is most hygienic, dailies. But they’re also the most expensive.

With continuous wear contacts you may avoid handling, but you can’t avoid deposits in your lenses which accumulate while they’re being worn. Without contacts our eyes manage to lubricate and self-clean quite well - with contacts that’s a different story altogether.

For a good compromise between hygiene and cost, I’d choose monthlies, with a good cleaning solution and a proper routine. The way I’ve seen some people handle their contacts (without washing hands, using saliva, etc.), I’m baffled they don’t get conjunctivitis every other week.
melomanias7 h, 8 m ago

It depends on the contact lenses. Each type of contact lens has different …It depends on the contact lenses. Each type of contact lens has different instructions, which indicate how long you can wear them for and whether or not you can sleep with them on. In order to be able to sleep with them on, they need to be very permeable to oxygen. If not, your eyes do not get enough oxygen while you’re sleeping. The longer you sleep with the wrong type of contact and deprive your eyes of the oxygen they need, the worse it can get.By the way, this also applies when our eyes are open - choose contacts that are more permeable to oxygen overall even if you do not intend to sleep with them, as they promote better eye health. I just switched contacts recently for this very reason.As for which type is most hygienic, dailies. But they’re also the most expensive.With continuous wear contacts you may avoid handling, but you can’t avoid deposits in your lenses which accumulate while they’re being worn. Without contacts our eyes manage to lubricate and self-clean quite well - with contacts that’s a different story altogether.For a good compromise between hygiene and cost, I’d choose monthlies, with a good cleaning solution and a proper routine. The way I’ve seen some people handle their contacts (without washing hands, using saliva, etc.), I’m baffled they don’t get conjunctivitis every other week.

Hi thanks for the detailed reply. I have also had monthlies for years now. I never get any instructions with them tho. And mine are from Specsavers, would u recommend me ringing them and asking them?
Sure Mine don’t come with instructions either. What I do is check the manufacturer’s website (as a preferential source) and then opticians’ websites.

I was checking the Specsavers website and indeed they do not seem to offer much information, so yes, ringing or emailing them is a good idea. Ask them for a patient information booklet/leaflet.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions