Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Can u use an old sky remote for a different sky box?

Posted 25th Oct 2012
Ok, wife has lost sky remote and i found an old one. Can it be tuned in to work with skybox?

The sky box is just a standard box and the remote is a sky+ remote, can that work?
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

27 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Sham-77 Author

One of the 2 cables that run into the sky+ box is damaged so have old sky box plugged in until it gets fixed
    Sham-77 Author
    chris90

Have you thought of trying to use it before asking?Or as an alternative, … Have you thought of trying to use it before asking?Or as an alternative, there is a fantastic site for this kind if query, http://www.Google.co.uk.

No, they are 2 fantastic ideas, do u work for NASA?
    Anonymous User
    hamza123

No, they are 2 fantastic ideas, do u work for NASA?

Because obviously their recruitment policy is entirely based on common sense...

As a suggestion - rather than get defensive, just learn a lesson about taking 20 seconds to look on Google instead of posting a ridiculously useless thread.
    Sham-77 Author
    dataload

try pressing the following TVHold Yellow+Select until LED flashes … try pressing the following TVHold Yellow+Select until LED flashes twice1Select (LED should flash twice)Sky if not, google how to sync a sky remote and try the other waysnot sure why this thread is full of clowns posting rubbish

thanks, will try that tonight, i have tried google as the wingnut suggested but couldn't find anything that worked hence why i posted on here as that's what most people do when they are looking for help.

anyway cheers again
    Anonymous User

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky%2B

Sky+ remoteA typical Sky+ remote control is similar to a typical Sky … Sky+ remoteA typical Sky+ remote control is similar to a typical Sky remote, but provides controls for the extra features, e.g. rewinding the programme, record, play or pause, fast forward and stopping playback of the programme. The Sky+ remote is silver coloured or beige for the early remotes issues with 40GB Boxes (like the set top box) rather than the dark blue of the normal and original Sky remote.The sky + remote will work a Sky HD Box automatically but does require additional tuning to work with a standard sky box which can be found below.

(edited)
    Anonymous User
    How come the old remote you found is newer than the box and remote you lost ? Lol
    Anonymous User
    How come the old remote you found is newer than the box and remote you lost ? Lol
    Rubisco
    Why are you using a standard box when Sky+ boxes are so cheap on eBay?
    hsbi
    Should work fine - I have a HD box and still use the old sky+ remote.
    Sham-77 Author
    hsbi

Should work fine - I have a HD box and still use the old sky+ remote.

Thats what i thought but it's not recognising it :-(

Wasn't sure if u had to tune it in or not
    Rubisco
    hamza123

Thats what i thought but it's not recognising it :-(Wasn't sure if u had … Thats what i thought but it's not recognising it :-(Wasn't sure if u had to tune it in or not

Yeah the remotes definitely have different modes for different boxes, you change the mode using a code similar to how you program it to operate your tv.
    Anonymous User
    Have you thought of trying to use it before asking?

Or as an alternative, there is a fantastic site for this kind if query, www.Google.co.uk.
    Sham-77 Author
    chris90

Because obviously their recruitment policy is entirely based on common … Because obviously their recruitment policy is entirely based on common sense...As a suggestion - rather than get defensive, just learn a lesson about taking 20 seconds to look on Google instead of posting a ridiculously useless thread.

Ok, i'll leave out the sarcasm this time as it obviously flew a bit high, tried both your sublime ideas hence the post on here.
    Anonymous User
    hamza123

Ok, i'll leave out the sarcasm this time as it obviously flew a bit high, … Ok, i'll leave out the sarcasm this time as it obviously flew a bit high, tried both your sublime ideas hence the post on here.

I feel for you if you interpret it like that.
    Sham-77 Author
    chris90

I feel for you if you interpret it like that.

I don't
    Anonymous User
    hamza123

I don't

You don't... what?
    Have common sense?
    Have the intelligence to make a reasonable retort?
    Understand when someone is ridiculing your attempt at a come back?
    Know how to finish a sentence?

I would accept all of the above.
    Mandz27
    no the 2 aren't compatible.
    dataload
    try pressing the following

TV
    Hold Yellow+Select until LED flashes twice
    Select (LED should flash twice)
    Sky

if not, google how to sync a sky remote and try the other ways

not sure why this thread is full of clowns posting rubbish
    (edited)
    Sham-77 Author
    Mandz27

just read this, oh well, new remote it is.

ta
    Anonymous User
    hamza123

One of the 2 cables that run into the sky+ box is damaged so have old sky … One of the 2 cables that run into the sky+ box is damaged so have old sky box plugged in until it gets fixed

Your Sky + receiver will still work with one dish cable, it is just the recording facilities that will not function fully.
    dataload
    Mandz27

wrong, why bother posting when you have no clue?

i have a couple of normal sky box remotes from before i had sky+ and they work with my sky+ boxes except there is no record button and my sky+ remotes work with the standard boxes i had before

this works 99% of the time

1. Press TV
    2. Hold Yellow+Select until LED flashes twice
    3. Press 0
    4. Press Select
    5. Press Sky
    (edited)
    Mandz27
    dataload

wrong, why bother posting when you have no clue?i have a couple of normal … wrong, why bother posting when you have no clue?i have a couple of normal sky box remotes from before i had sky+ and they work with my sky+ boxes except there is no record button and my sky+ remotes work with the standard boxes i had beforethis works 99% of the time1. Press TV2. Hold Yellow+Select until LED flashes twice3. Press 04. Press Select5. Press Sky

actually i asked a sky engineer the above question , your solution isn't a known one (not saying it doesn't work) just the engineer hasn't heard of it.
    dataload
    Mandz27

actually i asked a sky engineer the above question , your solution isn't … actually i asked a sky engineer the above question , your solution isn't a known one (not saying it doesn't work) just the engineer hasn't heard of it.

google it and see how many posts there are about it online

i think your sky engineer was either trying it on wanting to sell you something which you didn't need or was just totally thick
    Anonymous User
    Mandz27

actually i asked a sky engineer the above question , your solution isn't … actually i asked a sky engineer the above question , your solution isn't a known one (not saying it doesn't work) just the engineer hasn't heard of it.

Sky do not employ " engineers ", they employ individuals that undergo basic training in installing ( usually badly) Sky systems.
    degsy123
    Thanks Mandz27 that worked a treat
    Anonymous User
    New remote old box. On remote Press button TV, press at the same time select and yellow buttons. Red light on remote will flash twice. Press button number 0 (zero) and press button select. Press button sky. Voila. Happy Viewing.
    Anonymous User
    Sham-7726/10/2012 06:43

thanks, will try that tonight, i have tried google as the wingnut …thanks, will try that tonight, i have tried google as the wingnut suggested but couldn't find anything that worked hence why i posted on here as that's what most people do when they are looking for help.anyway cheers again

Hi. Thank you. I bought a new sky remote from sky and it came without instructions for tuning it to the sky box. I googled it and this was the only place that gave instructions that actually worked. Cheers
's avatar
Top Merchants