Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Can we still exercise?

Posted 24th Mar
Community Updates
Ask
30 Comments
"health reasons", pretty sure Boris Johnson said himself that this could be a walk, run or cycle. If you have dogs you need to walk them anyway.
No mention of going for a poo either
This is a good point @rsmorbitsound as it was in there yesterday following the guidance. 27 million people watched the announcement and heard him say it included exercise. So if they are hoping to pull back on that then they need to do more than just remove it from a website which I imagine is no everyones first choice to check updates.
You're supposed to be allowed to go out for exercise once a day either alone or with other household members, you must stay 2m from any other person.
What other new measures are there?

The prime minister said:

• Shops selling "non-essential goods" including clothes and electronics stores will be closed immediately
  • Libraries, playgrounds, outdoor gyms and places of worship will also close
  • Gatherings of more than two people (excluding people who live together) will be banned
  • There will be no weddings or baptisms but funerals will be allowed
  • Parks will remain open but people are only to go out to exercise once a day
No mention of when I brush my teeth & what sugar to put on my toothbrush?

Should it be caster, icing, granulated or brown? The Government are useless.
Willy_Wonka24/03/2020 22:29

No mention of when I brush my teeth & what sugar to put on my …No mention of when I brush my teeth & what sugar to put on my toothbrush?Should it be caster, icing, granulated or brown? The Government are useless.

I’d hate to be your dentist...
Jason24/03/2020 22:25

This is a good point @rsmorbitsound as it was in there yesterday following …This is a good point @rsmorbitsound as it was in there yesterday following the guidance. 27 million people watched the announcement and heard him say it included exercise. So if they are hoping to pull back on that then they need to do more than just remove it from a website which I imagine is no everyones first choice to check updates.

It’s still there. They haven’t removed it. OP just didn’t click the underlined text. gov.uk/gov…ers
health reasons is the exercise.
Biddy224/03/2020 22:33

It’s still there. They haven’t removed it. OP just didn’t click the under …It’s still there. They haven’t removed it. OP just didn’t click the underlined text. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

40180677-eMa8L.jpg
Biddy224/03/2020 22:33

It’s still there. They haven’t removed it. OP just didn’t click the under …It’s still there. They haven’t removed it. OP just didn’t click the underlined text. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

Yesterday on that page it explicitly stated exercise.
mutley124/03/2020 22:34

health reasons is the exercise.

Yep @mutley1 i'm sure it is..just that it was mentioned yesterday simply as exercise (not under any other potential category or list). Anyway, hope you're keeping well.
Jason24/03/2020 22:38

And it still has the link for full guidance. Exercise is done for health reasons too is it not?

The scaremongering on this site is getting silly now.

It still does. I've highlighted it for you above.
Edited by: "deeky" 24th Mar

they may have changed the word exercise to health reasons as some people may misinterpret exercise to be running or cycling, something physically challenging, whereas health reasons can also include gentle stroll in the park or walking the dog, or pushing the baby in the pram to get some fresh air.
Things are changing even since yesterday.Yesterday most people thought we were in “lockdown” with only essential people going out, tonight anyone can go to work if they can’t work from home. It’s just been on the news about building sites being allowed to continue which kicked it all off this morning. A Site Manger was saying his staff had been told to keep 2m apart at all times, standing behind him were two blokes right next to each other and as the camera panned another 20 people doing the same.

Proper lockdown can only be a matter of time away.
Biddy224/03/2020 22:43

And it still has the link for full guidance. Exercise is done for health …And it still has the link for full guidance. Exercise is done for health reasons too is it not? The scaremongering on this site is getting silly now.

No one is doubting that the link exists. The point the OP is making is that the homepage ( gov.uk/cor…rus ) after the announcement yesterday explicitly stated and mentioned the word exercise. It has been changed today to "health reasons" which is more wide-ranging and could include a number of things. It is a fair question to ask.
mutley124/03/2020 22:44

they may have changed the word exercise to health reasons as some people …they may have changed the word exercise to health reasons as some people may misinterpret exercise to be running or cycling, something physically challenging, whereas health reasons can also include gentle stroll in the park or walking the dog, or pushing the baby in the pram to get some fresh air.

Yep. Exactly.
rsmorbitsound24/03/2020 22:31

I’d love to be his dentist, just think of the money you would get
Jason24/03/2020 22:46

No one is doubting that the link exists. The point the OP is making is …No one is doubting that the link exists. The point the OP is making is that the homepage ( https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus ) after the announcement yesterday explicitly stated and mentioned the word exercise. It has been changed today to "health reasons" which is more wide-ranging and could include a number of things. It is a fair question to ask.

Jay, do you see that underlined text in their screenshot? Do you understand that when something is summarised and then mentions “Full guidance” it is asking you to click it to get the full details on what the summary means? That’s common sense. Come on.

It didn’t, and doesn’t still summarise that you should seek help for an emergency such as a heart attack. Is it fair for me to ask where that is too? Exercise was clearly too vague so it was changed to health reasons. Had the OP clicked the link, on that same page in their screenshot, they would have had their answer.

You even jumped on board rather than looking for yourself to find the facts.
Arto24/03/2020 22:50

I’d love to be his dentist, just think of the money you would get

Talking of dentists, are they to stay open? If so I'm guessing emergency appointments only and not check ups?
mutley124/03/2020 22:44

they may have changed the word exercise to health reasons as some people …they may have changed the word exercise to health reasons as some people may misinterpret exercise to be running or cycling, something physically challenging, whereas health reasons can also include gentle stroll in the park or walking the dog, or pushing the baby in the pram to get some fresh air.

Jason24/03/2020 22:46

Yep. Exactly.

No wonder this site is a mess. That’s all exercise. Health reasons covers exercise and things like going to a doctor’s appointment. Christ.
eslick24/03/2020 22:45

Things are changing even since yesterday.Yesterday most people thought we …Things are changing even since yesterday.Yesterday most people thought we were in “lockdown” with only essential people going out, tonight anyone can go to work if they can’t work from home. It’s just been on the news about building sites being allowed to continue which kicked it all off this morning. A Site Manger was saying his staff had been told to keep 2m apart at all times, standing behind him were two blokes right next to each other and as the camera panned another 20 people doing the same. Proper lockdown can only be a matter of time away.

it all depends on the daily infection rate. if it continues to climb steeply even though people are following the existing measures, then they will have to restrict movement even more.

what really annoys me is that while the government is telling people to stay at least 2m away from each other, the tube service is actually reduced because of less demand, but this only makes the rush hour traffic worse. they should operate a full service at rush hour and make all car park space in london free for those who go to work so people can use their car instead.
rsmorbitsound24/03/2020 22:31

So, in short, the answer is yes, you can exercise. 1 session a day.
mutley124/03/2020 22:55

it all depends on the daily infection rate. if it continues to climb …it all depends on the daily infection rate. if it continues to climb steeply even though people are following the existing measures, then they will have to restrict movement even more.what really annoys me is that while the government is telling people to stay at least 2m away from each other, the tube service is actually reduced because of less demand, but this only makes the rush hour traffic worse. they should operate a full service at rush hour and make all car park space in london free for those who go to work so people can use their car instead.

They were quick to step up from the last two measures so I hope they do the same here. That tube image today was pretty shocking.
mutley124/03/2020 22:55

it all depends on the daily infection rate. if it continues to climb …it all depends on the daily infection rate. if it continues to climb steeply even though people are following the existing measures, then they will have to restrict movement even more.what really annoys me is that while the government is telling people to stay at least 2m away from each other, the tube service is actually reduced because of less demand, but this only makes the rush hour traffic worse. they should operate a full service at rush hour and make all car park space in london free for those who go to work so people can use their car instead.

But that’s not less demand it’s your good old mayor nit helping but bleeting as usual. We have a similar system to the tube but people are staying away and they haven’t cut services and you can gave 2m around you.
Willy_Wonka24/03/2020 22:59

Comment deleted

40180886-hMOkb.jpg

Took this site a week to announce rule changes they were already enforcing. Perhaps they should stop thinking the rest of the world is as slow as them about informing people regarding changes.

I’m well too Jay. Thanks for asking.
andrewworrall124/03/2020 22:54

Talking of dentists, are they to stay open? If so I'm guessing emergency …Talking of dentists, are they to stay open? If so I'm guessing emergency appointments only and not check ups?

They are open, but not allowed to drill, so it's antibiotics or extractions, nothing inbetween.
(The drill throws millions of particles into the air, should the patient be infected, almost every surface in the room will be contaminated)
andrewworrall124/03/2020 22:54

Talking of dentists, are they to stay open? If so I'm guessing emergency …Talking of dentists, are they to stay open? If so I'm guessing emergency appointments only and not check ups?

bda.org/adv…spx
My dentist's website advised last week that non-urgent appointments would be cancelled. Received phone call today to confirm that of my early April appointments.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants