Groups

Can you believe this?!!!!

My mom and dad went to Kenya for 2 weeks, due to some problems at air traffic control in Uk their return flight was cancelled and they were told they would fly at the same time as the original flight but the following day. When on the plane they were given leaflets telling them they would all be sent letetrs confirming the delay to claim off their insurance!!! The letter arrived saying they were delayed for 23hrs 59 mins therfore as it was not a full 24hrs they would not be able to claim!!!. Can you believe this?

41 Comments

that takes the p****

can they prove it from airline tickets to show the times that both of the flights were supposed to be?

Banned

i'm sorry but that is a disgrace! get watchdog on the phone!

Original Poster

i told my mom to call the airline and make them prove it! i mean if they want to get technical was that when the last wheel left the runway!!!

kate50dadford;2501755

i told my mom to call the airline and make them prove it! i mean if they … i told my mom to call the airline and make them prove it! i mean if they want to get technical was that when the last wheel left the runway!!!

i don't see what difference it makes to them though cos surely the insurance company pays it?

I can believe it yes but it still sucks. i'd keep pushing for a while and hope for the best
    Good luck!

Sadly, I can believe it in this day and age - what a joke, hope they get something sorted out.

John

Original Poster

cheerleader;2501774

i don't see what difference it makes to them though cos surely the … i don't see what difference it makes to them though cos surely the insurance company pays it?

nor me but it must make some or they wouldn't bother with the technical time!!

kate50dadford;2501792

nor me but it must make some or they wouldn't bother with the technical … nor me but it must make some or they wouldn't bother with the technical time!!

Yep definitely, which insurance company was it?

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;2501806

Yep definitely, which insurance company was it?John

AXA, they wouldn't pay out when my husband lost his wedding ring in the sea as i didn't report it to the police the same day as he lost it even tho we were in the middle of nowhere 70 miles from police station!!!

Banned

That is such an avoidance of the airlines obligations.

Look at the BA link, it's standard EU regulations and it looks as if you may be due some serious compensation (immediate).

britishairways.com/tra…_gb

Check specifically the section Right to compensation for cancelled flights (not including long delays)

What was your airline, flying from/to ?

p.s. Airlines do the same for lost baggage, always redirecting you to your insurance company. Sod that, deal with them directly, it's their fault, not yours. Saves any hassle re excess deduction from claim. I think all airlines are covered up to approx £800 per case/passenger. Some Geneva Convention regs refer.

Cheers

Original Poster

aScottishBloke;2501832

That is such an avoidance of the airlines obligations.Look at the BA … That is such an avoidance of the airlines obligations.Look at the BA link, it's standard EU regulations and it looks as if you may be due some serious compensation (immediate).http://www.britishairways.com/travel/euclaimnor/public/en_gbCheck specifically the section Right to compensation for cancelled flights (not including long delays)What was your airline, flying from/to ?Cheers

it was Monarch flying from london gatwick to mombasa ty for ur help

Could you write to the airline and request a letter as to how long you personally had been delayed for? And if they say 23hours 59 minutes reply saying that you it couldn't be so as the flights were the exact same time but the following day,

Maybe they've got a magic stopwatch :oops:

Original Poster

does this apply as kenya aren't in the EU tho?

Banned

Yes, it applies to flights originating from and also landing in the eu.

Original Poster

aScottishBloke;2501960

Yes, it applies to flights originating from and also landing in the eu.

thank you very much for your help! i left you rep

Banned

The new regulations should apply to all flights, whether budget, chartered or scheduled, originating in the EU, or flying into the EU using an EU carrier. The new regulations require the airline to take better care of their passenger. As an example, if a flight is cancelled an airline is liable to provide the passengers with food, refreshments and overnight accommodation, including transfers to the hotel, free of charge, in cases where they have not been able to provide alternative transport to their destination. Complimentary refreshments are also an entitlement where passengers are delayed beyond a certain numbers of hours (see table below). If the delay is greater than 5 hours, the airline is forced to refund the cost of the ticket. While airlines have to provide assistance and support in all cases, whatever the cause, where compensation is involved, they are not liable in certain circumstances. The 'get out clause for airlines is that the reason(s) for the delay or cancellation must be within their control. i.e. It must be their fault. This where the problems arise. Clearly Air Traffic Control strikes and severe weather are not within their control. There are many grey areas where it is possible to put the blame on someone else, a tactic at which airlines are past-masters.

Remember though that some delays/cancellations are not the fault of the airline, say Air Traffic Control strike, engine blow up on arrival, etc. However you need to determine the cause of the delay, and if it could have been prevented then you should have had your rights under EU Regulation 261/2004 made available. Such matters as the airline not having staff available because of crew roster issues are within their control and they would be liable. Long delays are also not subject to automatic compensation, but they have to afford the passenger reasonable care such as hotel/refreshments if required.

The wiki entry explains better. en.wikipedia.org/wik…004

:thumbsup:

23hrs and 59 mins is obviously a con, they just don't want to pay out, watchdog for the win.

jocksteeluk;2502063

23hrs and 59 mins is obviously a con, they just don't want to pay out, … 23hrs and 59 mins is obviously a con, they just don't want to pay out, watchdog for the win.

lol man proper owned

wonder how much the insurance co paid the airline to put 23.59

Banned

Isn't there a website anywhere where you can check official take-off times?

The exact same thing happened to us last year when we were flying to Kavos and this was an outgoing flight so we missed a day of our holiday. The delay was about 23hrs 50mins which they obviously kept under 24hrs on purpose :x

What cheeky ****s! Good luck on this, get the consumer watchdogs / bbc watchdog all over this.

Original Poster

just emailed watchdog, will keep you informed! thanks for all your help guys

Banned

airey;2502606

The exact same thing happened to us last year when we were flying to … The exact same thing happened to us last year when we were flying to Kavos and this was an outgoing flight so we missed a day of our holiday. The delay was about 23hrs 50mins which they obviously kept under 24hrs on purpose :x

Did you get a reason for the delay/cancellation ?

24 hours seems like that you've been put on the next scheduled flight.

Banned

kate50dadford;2502879

just emailed watchdog, will keep you informed! thanks for all your help … just emailed watchdog, will keep you informed! thanks for all your help guys

When making an official complaint, it's best to go through the proper channels. Have you exhausted this process, if so your next step should be the Air Transport Users Council.

caa.co.uk/def…306

:thumbsup:

Banned

csiman;2502592

Isn't there a website anywhere where you can check official take-off … Isn't there a website anywhere where you can check official take-off times?

Some statistics here on performace.

flightontime.info/sch…tml

Other figures also avalable at caa.co.uk/def…008

Your mum and dad need to seriously complain, my cousin had a simlar thing happen with her electricity when she complained by letter she got the compensation!!! like your mum and dads it was a minuite from the alotted 24 hrs

You could also try the Trevor Mcdonald progranmne on tv that does the 30 min specials twice a week - anyone know what it is called?

Or the Sunday papers they often take up things like this via letters - Sunday Times/Mail?

fairy;2506334

You could also try the Trevor Mcdonald progranmne on tv that does the 30 … You could also try the Trevor Mcdonald progranmne on tv that does the 30 min specials twice a week - anyone know what it is called?Or the Sunday papers they often take up things like this via letters - Sunday Times/Mail?

tonight...
    it's not likely they'll do anything on the basis of this atm due to all the 'credit crunch' issues...

My mom and dad went to Kenya for 2 weeks

no i cant believe u dont know how to spell mum

Original Poster

bigbob909;2510094

no i cant believe u dont know how to spell mum

i dont say mum i say mom and thats how you spell it!

Banned

kate50dadford;2511749

are you american then?

kate50dadford;2511749

GTFO

Banned

A little bit strong there bigbob909.

i know caps and bold

Original Poster

No in the Midlands you say Mom don't you know local lingo?

kate50dadford;2521291

No in the Midlands you say Mom don't you know local lingo?

i'm from the midlands - i say mum.. so does everyone else i know.

Original Poster

well in the west midlands then where i'm from all friends and locals people say Mom, what does it matter?, some say barth others say bath who cares?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Nectar launch eGift card redemption for selected brands including Currys, A…33
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1215
      3. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?712
      4. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!77

See more discussions