Can you bring your own food / drink into the Cinema? I found out.

Deal editor34
Posted 28th Jan 2019
It's an age old question that has divided the masses on many an occasion. Whether you proudly present your goodies as you strut into your local cinema, or prefer to protect it like pirates booty in an oversized Parka, no one seems to know whether you can take your own food and drink into the cinema! I've been on a quest this morning to answer this question, and hopefully relieve some of the anxiety you may have on your next visit, because lets face it, no one likes spending a tenner on some popcorn and coke-water.

3172186.jpg

N.B. This info has been independently sourced from various articles, social media posts, and official channels, but as some cinemas are franchised, you may want to check with your local establishment just in case

Odeon Cinemas

No official word on this, but after checking their social media, you CAN bring in your food and drink, just no Alcohol or hot food permitted.

Showcase Cinemas

Again, no official word on this, but social media suggests you CAN bring in your food and drink, just no Alcohol or hot food permitted.

Vue Cinemas

Official word is you CAN bring in your food and drink, just no Alcohol or hot food permitted.

Cineworld Cinemas

Cineworld has a strict no hot food or alcohol policy, and the website states “We reserve the right to refuse customers entry into the screens with hot food or alcohol bought outside the premises.” so you CAN bring in your food and drink, just no Alcohol or hot food permitted.

Omniplex Cinemas

Bad luck if this your local, as their website states 'As with most commercial businesses, restaurants, public houses and so on only food purchased on the premises is permitted to be consumed on the premises. Patrons may be asked to dispose of external food product before entering the premises' so you CANT on this one.

FACT Cinemas

Another no go, as their website states "Only food purchased at the cinema may be consumed within the cinema." so you CANT on this one either.

So, in summary, most places are fine with you bringing your own food and drink in, just no alcohol or hot food is permitted. If you have any independent cinemas near you, they normally make a good profit on concessions, so you may want to help support them by buying your food there.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
I tend to do my weekly shop at our local Cinema. Don't see a problem with the pricing, to be fair.

arcangel1114 m ago

Way back when I was a young lad ( ask @deeky ) it wasn't a thing

No, I just used to take my mead in openly.
34 Comments
Good to know thanks alot, I always panic when taking in my own goodies, me and my mate once took donnor kebabs into our local odeon haha
Thanks for the info, I would always take my own in, most of the time though if there's a film I wanna see I'll wait until it comes out on DVD, can pause when you need the loo and it's in the comfort of your own home, and with a lot of people having 50 inch tv's it's like we have our own cinema in our homes, gone are the days of the 14 inch tellys (the good old days)
Once took a subway in and it was a mess. You can imagine what's happened....
Been taking my own food and drink into the cinema since I was a young lad. Granted I used to have to take in in bags or hide in jacket pockets but I don't bother hiding it anymore ....

Their prices are extortionate! I'm surprised they still do their own food!
arcangel11128/01/2019 11:32

Been taking my own food and drink into the cinema since I was a young lad. …Been taking my own food and drink into the cinema since I was a young lad. Granted I used to have to take in in bags or hide in jacket pockets but I don't bother hiding it anymore .... Their prices are extortionate! I'm surprised they still do their own food!

You never had to hide it in the first place lol
This has always been a thing

Don't know why people ever got the idea you can't
who made the social media posts (viewers or cinema staff)?
Was on tv money saving ideas a few years back.. Yes you can and we do bring food in. I heard some spend all day hopping from one film to another with back pack full of food and drink. Lol.. Not really the dun thing but hay ho. If you can get away with it
Edited by: "wayners" 28th Jan 2019
brilly6 m ago

[Image]

Sweet
It’s actually funny there’s a whole debate about this. The thing is, no cinema has the right to check your bag(s) for reason to believe you have food in there AND you don’t even have to hide food in the first place. It’s just one of those things where the rule isn’t made clear.
Norseg28/01/2019 11:57

You never had to hide it in the first place lolThis has always been a …You never had to hide it in the first place lolThis has always been a thing Don't know why people ever got the idea you can't

Edited by: "arcangel111" 28th Jan 2019
arcangel1114 m ago

No, I just used to take my mead in openly.
I see people drinking beers in my local Cineworld all the time. As long as you are not making a scene then I don't see a problem with it.
I tend to do my weekly shop at our local Cinema. Don't see a problem with the pricing, to be fair.

Where are Omniplex and FACT cinemas based?
I always take my own stacks the snacks in the cinema are overpriced you can buy the same things in say asda as its next to mine for £1 the nachos and my local cinema are always stale aswel
"So, in summary, most places are fine with you bringing your own food and drink in, just no alcohol or hot food is permitted. If you have any independent cinemas near you, they normally make a good profit on concessions, so you may want to help support them by buying your food there."

I’m sure it’s all cinemas that have to charge more for their concessions to keep your ticket prices down? If people don’t buy food in them anymore, the ticket prices will skyrocket. They will get you one way or another.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 28th Jan 2019
One of our local cinemas is an Everyman , you aren’t meant to take your own food and drink in, not that it really stops people.
everymancinema.com/ter…ons

However they are the ones with sofas rather than seats and they serve drinks and hot food to you so I guess they are a little different . Quite often they send a staff member in to remind you to turn phones off etc prior to the film instead of it just being on the screenand I remember on one occasion she said don’t worry about eating your own food, but make sure you take your rubbish away as we aren’t going to tidy up after you , which seemed fair enough .
I personally see no reason why you can’t I’d rather that than people talking and constantly being on there phones ruining the whole cinematic experience scum and kicking your chair behind!(mad)
Biddy228/01/2019 14:39

"So, in summary, most places are fine with you bringing your own food and …"So, in summary, most places are fine with you bringing your own food and drink in, just no alcohol or hot food is permitted. If you have any independent cinemas near you, they normally make a good profit on concessions, so you may want to help support them by buying your food there."I’m sure it’s all cinemas that have to charge more for their concessions to keep your ticket prices down? If people don’t buy food in them anymore, the ticket prices will skyrocket. They will get you one way or another.

It was a bit of an odd comment if you ask me Sure I'm going to willingly be ripped off on order to do my bit for local businesses. Same way as I'll willingly pay an extra £200 to buy my new washer from the local electrical shop, you know, just to help him keep his head above water
I always visit b&m or poundland before visiting our local omniplex, wife hides it all in her handbag and brings it out when the lights go down, however I always buy a drink cause I hate having to open tins cause it makes so much noise. Some people go to the cinema to pig out and you hear more from their crisps packets than that of the movie.
kingdugg13 h, 4 m ago

I see people drinking beers in my local Cineworld all the time. As long …I see people drinking beers in my local Cineworld all the time. As long as you are not making a scene then I don't see a problem with it.

You can even buy beer from the cinema too right? They won't know and they won't care unless you're drunk and going disturbances
deleted8085828/01/2019 16:08

It was a bit of an odd comment if you ask me Sure I'm going to …It was a bit of an odd comment if you ask me Sure I'm going to willingly be ripped off on order to do my bit for local businesses. Same way as I'll willingly pay an extra £200 to buy my new washer from the local electrical shop, you know, just to help him keep his head above water

Yeah I’m not sure where those ideas come from to be honest. I mean, they’re not exactly a charity and if their small business becomes a big business, they won’t remember, nor thank you, when they’re making their millions and you’re still trying to make ends meet.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 28th Jan 2019
I don’t really care if I’m allowed to or not. After all, I am a master smuggler
I've been making my children snack mules for years! Their hoods are great for hiding bottles of juice! I'm not going to tell them it's ok though - all part of the cinema excitement!!
KeyboardKitten4 h, 20 m ago

Omniplex cinemas I think are all northern Ireland (possibly Ireland too), the ones I know of are Dundonald, Bangor and Lisburn, I'm sure there's others tho
I'll get some steaming Lamb curry next time. Oh yeah!
rimalpatel00710 h, 5 m ago

Once took a subway in and it was a mess. You can imagine what's …Once took a subway in and it was a mess. You can imagine what's happened....

I once took a bucket of KFC chicken, the whole cinema smelt of delicious fried 🐔.

I also remember some lady in the row in front of me literally whipped out curry with some naan.
KeyboardKitten10 h, 25 m ago

Theres a fact cinema in LIverpool. Great place. Always show classic films
@msmyth

"...Showcase Cinemas

Again, no official word on this, but social media suggests you CAN bring in your food and drink, just no Alcohol or hot food permitted..."

I went to a triple screening of the three latest Star Trek movies when "Star Trek Beyond" was released (with one of my kids).

Midway through the evening we shared a few portions of rice I cooked (& brought with us in tupperware).

Hot food (& alcohol) is available (served by staff at my local Showcase "de Lux") in their Gallery seating, or you can bring it in yourself.

Previously, (although, I accept, this was some years ago) I've bought a Burger King meal for a couple of my kids & they've eaten it whilst watching a movie.
its 2 hours I'll probably die without some carbs...
Carrie.F3 h, 49 m ago

its 2 hours I'll probably die without some carbs...

36940857-EeXa0.jpg
there used to be a cinema in cromer a little seaside town in Norfolk that had a huge sign at the entrance saying no external fodo whatsoever. It closed a few years later.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants