Can you buy a ticket whilst on a train?

Found 2nd Oct 2011
My car broke down on the way to work last Friday morning, i decided to take the train to work and since i was in too much of a hurry to wait in a busy queue, i jumped on without buying a ticket.

It was a 20 minute journey and no one came to check if i had a ticket or not, had i been asked for a ticket would i have had to depart at the next stop or would the guard normally carry a hand-held ticket printing machine for me to pay him directly?

thanks
Community Updates
MiscToy Train
24 Comments
on my local route via merseyrail they have removed the staff selling tickets onboard and now they only issue you a £20 fine.
they normally carry a hand held machine hun, but i think it depends on what company owned the train you were on, i know some in London you have to buy the ticket before you board, or as it is here in South Wales theres a guard on the train
You need to go directly to jail and hand yourself in. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200.
deleted265520
Some do but it is becoming a thing of the past.
it was a old london-midland train i think, between wolves and birmingham.
Last time I dd it, was told it's an increased cost but paid normally; they are cracking down especially as most stations have installed electronic barriers.

Funnily enough, on September 11 a few years ago I was reprimanded as my card wouldn't work in the machine nor cashpoint.

I told them my card was faulty; had to send them proof of funds; which I did via printing a slip from the bank as I got off the train and then paid the cost of fare plus a little extra.
dcx_badass

Depends on the area. Mine has ticket staff on the trains as not all … Depends on the area. Mine has ticket staff on the trains as not all stations are manned.

Most unmanned stations have a self serve machine these days, so in the eyes of the rail service providers you have no excuse not to have a ticket before getting onboard.
Depends on the route/station, Most of the time I have to get the ticket on the train as neither of the stations I use have ticket offices I can get into, and the machine doesn't do the ticket I use.
If they did say anything just pretend you lost it and ask if you can buy another one
interesting you bring up this thread,

the past years i have been in yorkshire and fine to jsut get on a train and buy my ticket from the conductor, they usually tell me its cheaper to get from the station, but this has allways been crap in my experience and its the exact saem price either way

i was at sheff station saturday, enourmous cues for the machnes and my train is leaving in a few minute so i trot over the bridge get on the train off i go

first time ever i get a massive lecture off the conductor that since 2005 i have not been able to buy tickets on the train am liable for a fine (this is coming from a man with the purchasing machine over his shoulder)

i have to have a ticket to get through the electric barriers at leeds anyway, ive never been trying to rip off the company and i liek being able to buy on the train

the simple fact of the matter is i am not going to wait in a (no exageration) 30m cue to buy a ticket from a machine

i have no idea how they will attempt to regulate a charge when they do not even provide adequate facilities for all travelers to purchase tickets in advance of their train setting off

p.s i do appreciate the fact i could turn up half an hour earlier, but this is not the point, if it aint broke dont fix it! i will continue to just jump on the train and pay as and when

please note the train is different to sumthing like the metro service in Newcastle where you by zonal tickets for short journey trips and can be fined for not having one, you also cannot drink on the metro.. the 2 services are different
m27try,yes you need one for the journey between Wolves and Brum. Centro cover this area and would stick u for a £20 fine if you were on board without a ticket - the barriers at new street would do the same..
If it's any consolation I missed my train home last night from Bristol Temple Meads as the queue for the FAST TICKET machine took over 30mins, let alone the manned ticket booths!

I asked to go on but you need a ticket to go through the barriers there... I was 2 and a bit hours later than expected on my first trip back home after starting uni...

megabus.com here I come... :@
I overslept and ended up in Reading when I wanted Oxford, embarrassing times
I buy mine at the station. (I have a 16-24 pass by the way)

But I ocasionally have to buy on the train due to points work (my station to manchester times appear to change every bloody week).

And a conductor once said that he could charge me full rate as I did not pay at the station, I pointed out I had a leaflet for a 16-24 railpass on me for a friend and on neither that nor the terms and conditions listed on the website is there anything regarding when a ticket it purchased.

Also pointed out that rail passes are distributed by national rail and to qualify for the distribution of funds raised from tickets, for opperation of a service as a train operator they must agree to a shared term of conditions. Which includes the acceptance of all valid passes, and the adherence to their terms and conditions.

Guy just printed my ticket and strided off.

All TOC are greedy ****, with horrible staff.

Seriously if you get a chance to get away with anything, however small, get away with it.

if the station has a ticket office/machine then you must buy 1 from there, its a legal thing too,
you can only use discount railcards on the train if from an un-manned station too but how often either are enforced i don't know.

1 tip i read to avoid been moaned at or fined is to approach the rail guard 1st and explain there was a massive queue and would have missed it, if you appear not to be trying to dodge the fare theres more chance of them not getting stroppy.

my local station has nothing ,on matchday i rarely pay as its only 1 stop and he/she never gets to me before i get off
olympians

I buy mine at the station. (I have a 16-24 pass by the way)But I … I buy mine at the station. (I have a 16-24 pass by the way)But I ocasionally have to buy on the train due to points work (my station to manchester times appear to change every bloody week).And a conductor once said that he could charge me full rate as I did not pay at the station, I pointed out I had a leaflet for a 16-24 railpass on me for a friend and on neither that nor the terms and conditions listed on the website is there anything regarding when a ticket it purchased.Also pointed out that rail passes are distributed by national rail and to qualify for the distribution of funds raised from tickets, for opperation of a service as a train operator they must agree to a shared term of conditions. Which includes the acceptance of all valid passes, and the adherence to their terms and conditions.Guy just printed my ticket and strided off.All TOC are greedy ****, with horrible staff.Seriously if you get a chance to get away with anything, however small, get away with it.

I had a jobsworth on my train, had to run to get this train so I didnt have chance to buy a ticket. The conductor wouldnt let me use my 16-25 railcard because it 'should' be bought before boarding the train. Had to pay full cost but he got an earfull of me and other people that randomly decided to join my side and start verbally abusing him.

This was for about £2.50, was it worth it for him? He wouldnt even gain anything!
tomwatts

If it's any consolation I missed my train home last night from Bristol … If it's any consolation I missed my train home last night from Bristol Temple Meads as the queue for the FAST TICKET machine took over 30mins, let alone the manned ticket booths!I asked to go on but you need a ticket to go through the barriers there... I was 2 and a bit hours later than expected on my first trip back home after starting uni...http://www.megabus.com here I come... :@

it is now "the law" that you purchase tickets form "manned" station. Some smaller station (ie: Heworth), do not have ticket machines, let alone an ticket office selling tickets. You can "normally" purchase tickets on board, and depending on your station of arrival (where you get off), you need to keep hold of the ticket to exit the station via ticket barriers.

As I've always bought a ticket before hand, and/or have got off at a station that doesn't require you to exit station through barriers, I am not sure what would have happened
golemsmate

I had a jobsworth on my train, had to run to get this train so I didnt … I had a jobsworth on my train, had to run to get this train so I didnt have chance to buy a ticket. The conductor wouldnt let me use my 16-25 railcard because it 'should' be bought before boarding the train. Had to pay full cost but he got an earfull of me and other people that randomly decided to join my side and start verbally abusing him.This was for about £2.50, was it worth it for him? He wouldnt even gain anything!

Was it worth it to you? To verbally abuse somebody for merely doing their job? Because you had to pay £2.50? (hang on, ill have to re-read post, that must be £25....... no, it's definitely £2.50)
The fact that he gains nothing from it is a ridiculous statement. He's not meant to (although actually he does gain something - 5% commission), it's his job to do it, like it's your job to buy a ticket before you board.
deek72

Was it worth it to you? To verbally abuse somebody for merely doing their … Was it worth it to you? To verbally abuse somebody for merely doing their job? Because you had to pay £2.50? (hang on, ill have to re-read post, that must be £25....... no, it's definitely £2.50)The fact that he gains nothing from it is a ridiculous statement. He's not meant to (although actually he does gain something - 5% commission), it's his job to do it, like it's your job to buy a ticket before you board.

I didnt, the rest of the train did it, because I wasn't the only one. It's the principle that some people are terrible jobsworth and don't use their common sense. I guarentee you would be annoyed if you had to pay for a train ticket you dont need!
"I guarentee you would be annoyed if you had to pay for a train ticket you dont need!"

lost me here?
if i was on a train then i'd expect to DO need a train ticket,
its also in the T&C of the railcards that if there is a machine/office there you must buy one, its not there fault you left it too late,
and i once suffered a £10ish loss because at the time i didn't know.
as a said earlier, if you chase the guard up 1st its odds on he will let you use a railcard if you're polite and spin him a good enough yarn, guaranteed there's 1 machine out of order!
it is THE LAW to buy before you board unless un-manned
joeprosho

interesting you bring up this thread, the past years i have been in … interesting you bring up this thread, the past years i have been in yorkshire and fine to jsut get on a train and buy my ticket from the conductor, they usually tell me its cheaper to get from the station, but this has allways been crap in my experience and its the exact saem price either way i was at sheff station saturday, enourmous cues for the machnes and my train is leaving in a few minute so i trot over the bridge get on the train off i gofirst time ever i get a massive lecture off the conductor that since 2005 i have not been able to buy tickets on the train am liable for a fine (this is coming from a man with the purchasing machine over his shoulder) i have to have a ticket to get through the electric barriers at leeds anyway, ive never been trying to rip off the company and i liek being able to buy on the train the simple fact of the matter is i am not going to wait in a (no exageration) 30m cue to buy a ticket from a machine i have no idea how they will attempt to regulate a charge when they do not even provide adequate facilities for all travelers to purchase tickets in advance of their train setting off p.s i do appreciate the fact i could turn up half an hour earlier, but this is not the point, if it aint broke dont fix it! i will continue to just jump on the train and pay as and when please note the train is different to sumthing like the metro service in Newcastle where you by zonal tickets for short journey trips and can be fined for not having one, you also cannot drink on the metro.. the 2 services are different

In such a situation it helps to know the terms of carriage. The moment the conductor begins to lecture, calmly say you had waited 5 minutes at the check-out queue, which is the time specified in the passenger charter than you should be served within. If he objects, request that he provides you with a copy of the passenger charter there and then (they are meant to carry one on each train) and point out the relevant section to him. Watch him squirm.
ive read every comment on here, and i can not believe some of the comments, My husband is a guard/conductor on our local train service and yes he is " a jobs worth" but do you understand why?? no i doubt it very much!
if he doesnt charge a passenger once they have boarded or check the tickets for the passengers that bought them before they boarded he will lose his job, do you people understand this ?
do you also understand that guard/conductor is responsible for your safety while your on the train?
if there is an accident the guard is the person who sorts it out, not the driver, the guard!

did you know that EVERY guard/conductor takes annual exams on operating a train, how a train works, customer service, plus god knows how much more. if they fail this exam they lose their jobs.
ive lost count the amount of time my husband has come home covered in blood because some drunken idiot or drugged up phsyco has been fighting on board, how many times he's been shot at while in stations, how many times he has had to deal with a jumper, how many times they have called the transport police for help and for them not to arrive ( only 2 to cover all of S.Wales)
how many guards are mugged whilst on the train, and no one steps in to help!

take a minute to think of that jobs worth and what they go through in a day before you rant at them !

Edited by: "vinylandtrinkets" 4th Oct 2011
dcx_badass

I like having an unmanned station. Meant I paid for the train to work … I like having an unmanned station. Meant I paid for the train to work less than 10 times in total for a whole year. My journey was during rush hour and only one station so under a 5 minute journey so conductor rarely if ever got to me.You could just move out of whatever god forsaken ghetto you live in.

thats the problem hun its not the valley we live in its the surrounding valleys , and the main line is worse! the same can be said for bus travel , I wont get on a bus unless i am desperate because of the thugs on there, and the poors drivers i feel sorry for!
its a shame this is the world we now live in.
m27try

it was a old london-midland train i think, between wolves and birmingham.

You rarely get checked between the 2
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions