Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Can you buy an Internet only home phone?

Posted 22nd May
Switched my mum to mobile broadband but she has no home phone line now, is it possible to buy a normal looking phone(not mobile) that only uses the Internet to make and receive calls? So no need for line rental.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
Just look for mobile phones designed for the elderly, my gran has one and the charger is a stand like a home phone and you just pick it up and put numbers in like the good ol' days. No touch screen etc.

Pair that with a giffgaff sim and you're done
Yes, get a VoIP phone or VoIP ATA and plug any landline phone. Also get a VoIP provider, I recommend Sipgate basic they can be used on a PAYG basis and give a local phone number.
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 22nd May
OP, I don't wish to be unkind but I feel Ask is fast becoming a place for people who have forgot how to use search engines:

Anyway here you are:
Steepletone - SGSM1 BIG BUTTON GSM HOME TELEPHONE IN BLACK amazon.co.uk/dp/…1TG

Google search term for other cheaper ones:
"analog phone with sim card"
I think so. Others will say if you can use VOIP phone handset. Available from Amazon and other places.
onedirect.co.uk/bus…nes
You can get VoIP phone.

However, i would say home phone with big button are easier option.
I don't know which one is good, but these are on amazon

amazon.co.uk/Exp…VMP

amazon.co.uk/Art…1-3
mogsog22/05/2020 12:54

OP, I don't wish to be unkind but I feel Ask is fast becoming a place for …OP, I don't wish to be unkind but I feel Ask is fast becoming a place for people who have forgot how to use search engines:Anyway here you are:Steepletone - SGSM1 BIG BUTTON GSM HOME TELEPHONE IN BLACK https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GB6M1CT/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_bY7XEb3HV41TGGoogle search term for other cheaper ones:"analog phone with sim card"

You could say the same on every deal on this site, have been looking but mot technically minded.
murtgurge22/05/2020 12:51

Just look for mobile phones designed for the elderly, my gran has one and …Just look for mobile phones designed for the elderly, my gran has one and the charger is a stand like a home phone and you just pick it up and put numbers in like the good ol' days. No touch screen etc.Pair that with a giffgaff sim and you're done

I can understand why you have done this and there maybe no turning back, now.
But for others I would say take care when limiting your communication abilities. Always best to have 2 possibilities if practical and affordable. Should anything untoward go wrong with the mobile comms and it is urgent then you are stuck, unless you have a well prepared and rehersed alternative of sorts.
tardytortoise22/05/2020 13:06

I can understand why you have done this and there maybe no turning back, …I can understand why you have done this and there maybe no turning back, now.But for others I would say take care when limiting your communication abilities. Always best to have 2 possibilities if practical and affordable. Should anything untoward go wrong with the mobile comms and it is urgent then you are stuck, unless you have a well prepared and rehersed alternative of sorts.

Was looking for Internet only phone, not sim and keeping old lady mobile phone as back up. But might use a cheap sim pay as you sim on some of the amazon ones.
Edited by: "eelvis" 22nd May
Look up "ONDIAL Easy Mobile Phone"

it's not the one my gran has but it looks similar, as long as you put the sim in for your mum and set up the renewing goodybag (£5 a month) then all your mum has to do is pick it up and dial a number, or pick it up and press green to answer.

as a tip, if you tell her to press the red phone before dialing it will make sure there are no numbers accidentally dialed that may have been pressed earlier
Sorry,
eelvis22/05/2020 13:13

Was looking for Internet only phone, not sim and keeping old lady mobile …Was looking for Internet only phone, not sim and keeping old lady mobile phone as back up. But might use a cheap sim pay as you sim on some of the amazon ones.

Sorry, I was trying to make the point that you now only have 1 means of electronic communication via your mobile broadband. If you had landline also (i accept not always affordable) you would have had 2 ways. At least, another mobile phone from a different provider on a different network reduces the risks of being cut off.
tardytortoise22/05/2020 13:19

Sorry, Sorry, I was trying to make the point that you now only have 1 …Sorry, Sorry, I was trying to make the point that you now only have 1 means of electronic communication via your mobile broadband. If you had landline also (i accept not always affordable) you would have had 2 ways. At least, another mobile phone from a different provider on a different network reduces the risks of being cut off.

Agree that's my worry, when she charging phone it turned off.
eelvis22/05/2020 13:13

Was looking for Internet only phone, not sim and keeping old lady mobile …Was looking for Internet only phone, not sim and keeping old lady mobile phone as back up. But might use a cheap sim pay as you sim on some of the amazon ones.

Why not use the inclusive minutes on the cellular SIM rather than pay additional money for PAYG?
Many of the Huawei B-series 4G routers such as certain variants of B525, B618 and B715 have an RJ11 port to plug in standard POTS "BT-type" landline telephone, and some of those models permit the RJ11-connected POTS to be configured to use the SIM or VOIP for calls.

Example £10/m no contract no credit check Voxi SIM would provide unlimited cellular data and unlimited calls & texts, although cheapest method to obtain an all-in-one solution would be to throw that SIM in a standard Android handset (to dispense with need for 4G router), but preference for non-smart handset for elderly respected.
eelvis22/05/2020 13:05

You could say the same on every deal on this site, have been looking but …You could say the same on every deal on this site, have been looking but mot technically minded.

I agree with tardytortoise, you've confessed you're not 'technically' minded and now you're looking for a solution to a problem you've created. It's a poor decision you've made for the sake of a bit of penny pinching combined with the prior knowledge about you not being technical.

You've got rid of the most reliable communication mechanism for older people, a copper line into the house.

I may have misunderstood here but I think this Internet only phone you speak of would come at a cost still.

What are you expecting? Just a hardware phone that works like an analog phone but routes all it's calls through a IP PBX? Makes and receives calls all for free?

That's not something that companies would provide for free not with any level of reliability anyway. I believe still the cheapest and most reliable way is to have a SIM in a GSM analog phone. You can get a pay as you to SIM and top it up once or twice a year with five quid.

I would also setup a amazon echo and turn on the drop in feature for emergencies. I don't know how old your mum is but a single point of failure for communication is a bad idea.
Edited by: "mogsog" 22nd May
Penny pinching is watch we when furlough and with job uncertainty, glad you don't have these worries.
eelvis22/05/2020 13:54

Penny pinching is watch we when furlough and with job uncertainty, glad …Penny pinching is watch we when furlough and with job uncertainty, glad you don't have these worries.

It's not as if we haven't tried to help you eelvis. We have all offered solutions, I just don't think the one exists that you want.

Maybe next time do a bit of research prior to cutting off vital means of communication at a loved ones home, especially during a time when reliable communication is more essential than ever.
Edited by: "mogsog" 22nd May
Nice to be nice
We have a couple of snom 710 internet phones. Pleased with them. Discontinued model now but work perfectly well. Picked them up for £40 for a box of 10 from an office upgrade.

I think quite a lot of the siemens gigaset phones will work as dect and internet - so you get the normal wireless handset type of home phone but calls go in/out over the internet.

Edited by: "mas99" 22nd May
AndyRoyd22/05/2020 13:35

Why not use the inclusive minutes on the cellular SIM rather than pay …Why not use the inclusive minutes on the cellular SIM rather than pay additional money for PAYG? Many of the Huawei B-series 4G routers such as certain variants of B525, B618 and B715 have an RJ11 port to plug in standard POTS "BT-type" landline telephone, and some of those models permit the RJ11-connected POTS to be configured to use the SIM or VOIP for calls. Example £10/m no contract no credit check Voxi SIM would provide unlimited cellular data and unlimited calls & texts, although cheapest method to obtain an all-in-one solution would be to throw that SIM in a standard Android handset (to dispense with need for 4G router), but preference for non-smart handset for elderly respected.

Pic of Huawei B311-221 4G wifi router sold directly by Amazon at £62 shows POTS RJ11 port on rear for standard BT-type landline handset.
amazon.co.uk/202…HD/
Not so easy to find a manual that shows any options of how to configure the port to use the integral SIM or VOIP for calls via standard landline handset plugged into that port.

40838074-qMulu.jpg
I have set up my voip line for business on Gigaset S850A phone. It is plugged in Tenda MV3, works great.
amazon.co.uk/Gig…h=1
mogsog22/05/2020 13:38

I agree with tardytortoise, you've confessed you're not 'technically' …I agree with tardytortoise, you've confessed you're not 'technically' minded and now you're looking for a solution to a problem you've created. It's a poor decision you've made for the sake of a bit of penny pinching combined with the prior knowledge about you not being technical.You've got rid of the most reliable communication mechanism for older people, a copper line into the house.I may have misunderstood here but I think this Internet only phone you speak of would come at a cost still. What are you expecting? Just a hardware phone that works like an analog phone but routes all it's calls through a IP PBX? Makes and receives calls all for free?That's not something that companies would provide for free not with any level of reliability anyway. I believe still the cheapest and most reliable way is to have a SIM in a GSM analog phone. You can get a pay as you to SIM and top it up once or twice a year with five quid. I would also setup a amazon echo and turn on the drop in feature for emergencies. I don't know how old your mum is but a single point of failure for communication is a bad idea.

Drop in for emergencies is a good idea

My mum is a pensioner but does not want a safety pendant to wear around her neck because "that is what old people wear".
However, she did fall at home recently and break her arm, so is at risk of falls.

- have an amazon echo in the bedroom and lounge. Have set it up so that if she says "Call Tim" then it calls my mobile.
Helpful56722/05/2020 19:57

Drop in for emergencies is a good ideaMy mum is a pensioner but does not …Drop in for emergencies is a good ideaMy mum is a pensioner but does not want a safety pendant to wear around her neck because "that is what old people wear".However, she did fall at home recently and break her arm, so is at risk of falls.- have an amazon echo in the bedroom and lounge. Have set it up so that if she says "Call Tim" then it calls my mobile.

It's a great solution, I had trouble too, ended up putting 433mhz sonoff switches on the skirting in common fall areas as well. If one is pressed I get a phone notification. I then can drop in on the echo or call the landline.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions