Can you cast to other devices than chromecast?

I've got a bit of a mix of technology in the house and I'm just trying to make it a bit simpler.

I've just purchased a chromecast which works well. I'm using google play music, google movies, wuaki, netflix and bubbleupnp to stream from my NAS.

I'm using a Nexus 7 (or my laptop with chrome browser) to select the media and cast it to the chromecast.

As I say I'm quite happy with how it works.

I noticed that when I go to cast netflix it gives me the option to cast to either the Chromecast or the Virgin Tivo box (the chromecast is faster but the tivo box works as well) - I tested other things but only youtube worked as those are the only apps on the tivo box.

Any way getting round to my question...

I have an Android stick - similar size to the chromecast but it runs a normal version of android. Is there any way to effectively cripple it to be another chromecast or at least act like one? I'd like to be able to cast in exactly the same way to the android stick. At the moment I do control the Android stick using the Nexus 7, bubbleupnp works well and you select the Android stick as the renderer and it plays but I couldn't do anything for netflix etc - so I have to use the Nexus 7 as a remote and click on the app on the TV etc.

I found an app which sounded like it would do what I want but it didn't seem to really work as I wanted. Has anyone managed this?

10 Comments

Original Poster

InfinityLoop

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2402387?

I'd read about that but it was using the old chromecast SDK and doesn't work any more - it has been pulled from google play store.

There seems to be another called allcast but it didn't really work as I wanted.

My LG Blu Ray player had casting capabilities since before the chromecast was released. Back then it was called Mirror Cast its been around for about 3 years, Roku Boxes too have always been able to cast Youtube and Netflix. Maybe more stuff too. I had no idea my blu ray could cast i was trying to connect to chromecast and i saw it as an available device

Unless I'm missing the point wouldn't purchasing another Chromecast solve your problem?

Nothing works as well. Some devices also offer the option for some apps e.g. Your TiVo box for Netflix and YouTube and a now TVs box for YouTube. If I were you I would just get a second chromecast and sell the android stick

Lg media tv app by zappo. From your phone/tablet.

AStonedRaichu

My LG Blu Ray player had casting capabilities since before the chromecast … My LG Blu Ray player had casting capabilities since before the chromecast was released. Back then it was called Mirror Cast its been around for about 3 years, Roku Boxes too have always been able to cast Youtube and Netflix. Maybe more stuff too. I had no idea my blu ray could cast i was trying to connect to chromecast and i saw it as an available device

Are you sure that isnt Miracast ? Miracast is a new version of Widi that allows screen mirroring between devices.

Download showbox and cancel Netflix

Original Poster

ipswich78

Unless I'm missing the point wouldn't purchasing another Chromecast solve … Unless I'm missing the point wouldn't purchasing another Chromecast solve your problem?

Yes that would be the simplest option. I was just surprised that you couldn't cast between android devices and hoped someone had found a way.

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Car Leasing Deals (Audi, Golf or Scirocco)11
    2. Electricity11
    3. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    4. Which Camera?!!!22

See more discussions