Can you change address of Royal Mail Special Delivery after posting?

Found 20th Feb 2015
Hi.
I've bought an item that was posted by Royal Mail Special Delivery yesterday. Because I knew it was being posted by special delivery I had it sent to my work address in Nottingham as I wouldn't be in to sign for it. However the sender informed me after that the post office said that there might be a delay due to a fire at the sorting office.
The problem is I'm not back in work until Wednesday and I need it before then.

Is there any way to change the address to my home address or pick up from a sorting office?
The tracking currently says... ACCEPTED AT POL 819 London Road ST4 5NZ at 16:44 19.02.15
Community Updates
14 Comments
If you have the tracking number, give royal mail a call and see what they say.
Not sure if you can change an address though, especially as the recipient?
take ur I'd and collect it from the depot but how will u prove ur address u don't live at ur work place have you got al letters addressed to you at your work place
You cannot change the address. If no one signs for the item it will be returned to the sorting office pending further instructions, you can then collect the parcel however you would require the delivery card which would be left at your work. Also it is probably likely that one of your colleagues will sign for the parcel so it will end up at your work. You don't have much choice I'm afraid unless you go to work to collect the parcel/delivery card.
Original Poster
muddassarsardar

take ur I'd and collect it from the depot but how will u prove ur address … take ur I'd and collect it from the depot but how will u prove ur address u don't live at ur work place have you got al letters addressed to you at your work place

joshp

You cannot change the address. If no one signs for the item it will be … You cannot change the address. If no one signs for the item it will be returned to the sorting office pending further instructions, you can then collect the parcel however you would require the delivery card which would be left at your work. Also it is probably likely that one of your colleagues will sign for the parcel so it will end up at your work. You don't have much choice I'm afraid unless you go to work to collect the parcel/delivery card.

Well I'm in Nottingham tomorrow but my office will be closed. I could go to the sorting office with ID and a letter with my name on and my works address on but I wouldn't have the card. Does anyone know if this would be possible?
muddassarsardar

take ur I'd and collect it from the depot but how will u prove ur … take ur I'd and collect it from the depot but how will u prove ur address u don't live at ur work place have you got al letters addressed to you at your work place

joshp

You cannot change the address. If no one signs for the item it will be … You cannot change the address. If no one signs for the item it will be returned to the sorting office pending further instructions, you can then collect the parcel however you would require the delivery card which would be left at your work. Also it is probably likely that one of your colleagues will sign for the parcel so it will end up at your work. You don't have much choice I'm afraid unless you go to work to collect the parcel/delivery card.

My local office turns people away with no card, no exceptions made. It may be different for you but that is just my thoughts. Prehaps if you could supply them with the tracking no. that would be different.

Edited by: "joshp" 20th Feb 2015
I'm also not sure about a letter being sufficient proof. I only know that for home addresses you need something official like a driving license.
Edited by: "joshp" 20th Feb 2015
Original Poster
joshp

I'm also not sure about a letter being sufficient proof. I only now that … I'm also not sure about a letter being sufficient proof. I only now that for home addressees you need something official like a driving license.

Well as soon as I get on my lunch I will give them a ring and see what they say. Its typical the one time I'm not in until Wednesday!
I'm a Postman. No card, no collection I'm afraid.
Original Poster
stuarthanley

What about if it hasn't left the post office yet, can the address be changed? Even if the sender has to ring up and do it?
That I'm not sure of but I doubt it. The reason it's sent Special Delivery is for security. We can't even leave special deliveries with neighbours, only with someone at the address. If we can't deliver them, they are returned to depot and locked away. Very secure delivery .
Original Poster
So the guy on the phone thinks it might have missed the scanner when it was collected and was still hopeful it would be delivered by 1pm (which was 15 mins away at the time). He asked me to call back at 1:30 if it didn't arrive by then
so did you get your parcel?
Original Poster
adhkarzf

so did you get your parcel?

No they said they couldn't do anything and that I can only put a claim in if it's not delivered by 9th March. Although tracking has changed and it says it has been collected from the post office. Guess I'm just gonna have to wait :-(
SJHan20th Feb 2015

Hi there I have just realised I have put one letter wrong on a postcode on my parcel but it is signed for and tracked is there a way I can change the postcode as it is due to come tomorrow just missed the post office the lines and are closed is there a 24-hour line at all
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions