Can you copy win7 dvd on usb to install on netbook

Found 22nd Oct 2009
As above probably covered a hundred times thanks.

10 Comments

yes you can, just set the bios to start from usb drive first not the hard drive ok

Original Poster

so if i copy the whole dvd on usb and boot from usb it should work thanks

Will it be powerful enough to run windows 7?

I messed about for ages and eventually got it work simply by running the WIN7 EXE file from a USB stick. Then deleted the XP partitiion.

Original Poster

jon1000jon;6656279

its for my samsung nc10 it got 2gb ram and ive been running RC on it for a couple of months and it seems fine. Thanks for the replies people.

jon1000jon;6656279

He wants it to install not run from. Running a OS from USB is not so easy, unless it was designed to like linux live.

Original Poster

smudge79;6656288

I messed about for ages and eventually got it work simply by running the … I messed about for ages and eventually got it work simply by running the WIN7 EXE file from a USB stick. Then deleted the XP partitiion.

how did you delete the xp partition after you installed win 7. i tried this first when i was dual booting with win7 couldnt delete the xp partition without leaving win7 unbootable.

Borat;6656413

how did you delete the xp partition after you installed win 7. i tried … how did you delete the xp partition after you installed win 7. i tried this first when i was dual booting with win7 couldnt delete the xp partition without leaving win7 unbootable.

[FONT=Verdana]Mmm...oddly enough most of the guides out there are how to remove Windows Vista/7 from a dual-boot configuration - you might want to check out this guide as a starting base and I'll see if I can find some more for you.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows
support.microsoft.com/kb/…392

I assume that all of the boot and system related files for Windows 7 are on a separate partition on your hard disk?

Edit - Okay, if you check out the next guide and substitute the Windows Vista DVD with a Windows 7 DVD it should in theory go through, as the basic start-up recovery support is the same from what I can remember.

Removing your Windows 7 installation, partition - TechSpot
techspot.com/gui…s7/

Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki
neosmart.net/wik…DVD

Edit 2 - Here's another guide from Microsoft and it might the one for you to try out if your happy with it.

windows 7 and Vista dual boot, time to remove vista.. help...
social.technet.microsoft.com/For…998

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Original Poster

Thanks scotty boy have some rep. I think the reason most of the guides out there are removing vista/win7 from a dual boot is cos its the easiest to remove the second os install rather than the first install if that makes sense. But yeah thanks for the links.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247641
    2. Anyone else bored of video gaming1119
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428014647
    4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7891479

See more discussions