Can you do the speed awareness course if you get caught speeding in Scotland but you live in England. Just got caught going about 85 in a 70 zone. Its my first offence and i have no idea what happens about it. does anyone have any experience? if it w

32 Comments
You usually have to do the course in the area you committed the offence.
Original Poster
exmouthred

You usually have to do the course in the area you committed the offence.

But they don't have the course in Scotland
I am from Scotland and had to travel all the way back to Leicester to go to one of these, wasn't allowed to do it local or even just over the border. That was circa 6 years ago, so not sure if that is still the case.
Original Poster
GrantG182

I am from Scotland and had to travel all the way back to Leicester to go … I am from Scotland and had to travel all the way back to Leicester to go to one of these, wasn't allowed to do it local or even just over the border. That was circa 6 years ago, so not sure if that is still the case.

Where did you commit the offence? Mine was in Scotland you see
I'm sorry I don't think the course will be made available due to the amount over the limit, check but I think your only eligible if your say below +10%
you can do the course if offered anywhere in the country
Original Poster
scrappy2015

I'm sorry I don't think the course will be made available due to the … I'm sorry I don't think the course will be made available due to the amount over the limit, check but I think your only eligible if your say below +10%

10% + 9mph over if it's your first offence
Original Poster
srp111

you can do the course if offered anywhere in the country

The problem is that the course doesn't run in Scotland. So I'm wondering if I can still do it but at another location?
nrackham76

Where did you commit the offence? Mine was in Scotland you see

In Leicester, my first ever drive down South and ended up driving along a dual carriageway somewhere around Leicester at 40mph in torrential rain (thought I was driving safely as per the conditions), little did I know the carriageway was a 30 limit. In the last 8 years I've been driving a car, all over Scotland and a few times in England, I am yet to see another dual carriageway with a 30mph limit - some with 50, very few with a 40 limit and never again have I seen a 30mph limit on a dual carriageway :-( The course (an evening for a couple of hours) definitely opens your eyes though, something I think all young drivers should do as part of gaining a driving license.
The majority of police forces will not seek to prosecute if you are less than 10% of the speed limit due to the clock speed in your car and the speed gun itself. Hope you get a chance to do the course, it will definitely open your eyes much more than losing 60 quid and possibly 3 points.
Original Poster
Do you get offered the course even if it the offence was commuted in Scotland which is the only place that do not do the course?
nrackham76

Do you get offered the course even if it the offence was commuted in … Do you get offered the course even if it the offence was commuted in Scotland which is the only place that do not do the course?

No, Police Scotland do not offer the Speed Awareness Course at all, in any capacity. To that end, you will be prosecuted by Fixed Penalty Notice of a fine and, possibly, 3 points on your license. If you were going 20mph over the limit, consider yourself both a) stupid and b) banned for 12 months.
Original Poster
GrantG182

No, Police Scotland do not offer the Speed Awareness Course at all, in … No, Police Scotland do not offer the Speed Awareness Course at all, in any capacity. To that end, you will be prosecuted by Fixed Penalty Notice of a fine and, possibly, 3 points on your license. If you were going 20mph over the limit, consider yourself both a) stupid and b) banned for 12 months.

To be banned automatically for 12 months you have to be going 100mph in a 70 zone so that's not an issue. I know they do not offer the course in Scotland, could I do it in Manchester where I am from? Or is it Scotland that issue the charge so I have to follow their rules? Possibly 3 points? Is it not maditory?
nrackham76

To be banned automatically for 12 months you have to be going 100mph in a … To be banned automatically for 12 months you have to be going 100mph in a 70 zone so that's not an issue. I know they do not offer the course in Scotland, could I do it in Manchester where I am from? Or is it Scotland that issue the charge so I have to follow their rules? Possibly 3 points? Is it not maditory?

A ban is at the discretion of the judge and/or procurator fiscal, most often than not, for exceeding the speed limit by gross speed.

You committed an offence, contrary to Scots Law, in Scotland and therefore will be prosecuted by Police Scotland. It is very unlikely they will accept any form of punishment other than a fine. Points - possibly, awareness course - unlikely.
GrantG182

In Leicester, my first ever drive down South and ended up driving along a … In Leicester, my first ever drive down South and ended up driving along a dual carriageway somewhere around Leicester at 40mph in torrential rain (thought I was driving safely as per the conditions), little did I know the carriageway was a 30 limit. In the last 8 years I've been driving a car, all over Scotland and a few times in England, I am yet to see another dual carriageway with a 30mph limit - some with 50, very few with a 40 limit and never again have I seen a 30mph limit on a dual carriageway :-( The course (an evening for a couple of hours) definitely opens your eyes though, something I think all young drivers should do as part of gaining a driving license.

I got nailed in the same place only it was a sunny day! the signs on that road are naff!!
that was about the 9 years ago haha. hopefully they've changed the road layout / signage
Banned
OP you shouldn't be on the road if you can't follow the rules.
If you'd been caught in England you can do the course where you like, within 4 months. Only problem is AA only release about 1 months of courses at a time so you have to pay their £3.50 fine for flexible booking. Oh, you'll have to install internet explorer to book online as many other browsers Chrome included, aren't compatible. I just paid £95 to sit through one as that's the going cost anywhere near me. If you go to places like bristol etc it's far cheaper. One thing is they say it won't affect premium, it does if you use Admiral. That said the contract states they only release details to police, therefore if Admiral found out AA drivetech would be liable under the data protection act.
Didn't hear the myths about killer tissue boxes or 999/112 being different but they did cone out with some new classics. Just annoys me when they could fill the course with more useful stuff that will save lives.
It will be the force area that u got caught in that will determine if u get to do the course or not. nothing at all to do with where u live. if that area offers courses then u will be offered. I work for another force offering these courses on a daily basis, if u want to put ur mind at ease,i would phone the Traffic Process Unit in the force area u were caught in and ask if u would be eligible. My force area does not offer a course for speeding in a 70mph but as i said, every force is different. They are used to people phoning so i would give them a ring.x
GrantG182

A ban is at the discretion of the judge and/or procurator fiscal, most … A ban is at the discretion of the judge and/or procurator fiscal, most often than not, for exceeding the speed limit by gross speed. You committed an offence, contrary to Scots Law, in Scotland and therefore will be prosecuted by Police Scotland. It is very unlikely they will accept any form of punishment other than a fine. Points - possibly, awareness course - unlikely.

This is broadly correct, although the Procurator Fiscal has no role in pushment beyond offering a fixed penalty - however, a fixed penalty cannot be offered where the amount of points will result in a ban, therefore the PF does not have any discretion where a ban is concerned. Also, it is the PF, not Police Scotland, who will prosecute.
Thistleno1

This is broadly correct, although the Procurator Fiscal has no role in … This is broadly correct, although the Procurator Fiscal has no role in pushment beyond offering a fixed penalty - however, a fixed penalty cannot be offered where the amount of points will result in a ban, therefore the PF does not have any discretion where a ban is concerned. Also, it is the PF, not Police Scotland, who will prosecute.

Police Scotland will report the alleged crime to the Procurator Fiscal and they shall gather the evidence from Police Scotland, so yes, ultimately the PF will prosecute. PS will provide evidence to the Court should it require court action in a county JP court. The OP should receive a fixed penalty or notice of intent to prosecute within 14 days, otherwise, consider themselves very lucky and should perhaps think again about speeding and the ramifications it has, especially as a new driver with limited experience, even if they do think they are McRae.
This happened to someone i know. He was travelling from England to Glasgow and got caught speeding. 3 points and £100 fine i think it was and he stays in England. He wasn't given an option either
Faiza

This happened to someone i know. He was travelling from England to … This happened to someone i know. He was travelling from England to Glasgow and got caught speeding. 3 points and £100 fine i think it was and he stays in England. He wasn't given an option either

not allowed back to Scotland?
Original Poster
newb

not allowed back to Scotland?

Stays in England as in he lives in England like myself:)
I think that you will not be offered a speed awareness course in your case, as you were going to fast. They usually only offer if your speed was within ten mph of the stated speed limit.
Original Poster
It turns out i didn't get a ticket through, not sure if i will be able to refuse it should it come through under the 'time barred' act. depends when the letter is dated i guess.
nrackham76

It turns out i didn't get a ticket through, not sure if i will be able to … It turns out i didn't get a ticket through, not sure if i will be able to refuse it should it come through under the 'time barred' act. depends when the letter is dated i guess.

You should have to pay regardless of the time frame. If you're happy to break and be ignorant of the law you should take whatever punishment is given to you.
Original Poster
cnewlol

You should have to pay regardless of the time frame. If you're happy to … You should have to pay regardless of the time frame. If you're happy to break and be ignorant of the law you should take whatever punishment is given to you.

The law doesn't work like that I'm afraid, i can confirm that i will not be getting a ticket nor the penalty points. its possible that i wasn't flashed and i got it wrong i guess.. Not guilty until proven
nrackham76

The law doesn't work like that I'm afraid, i can confirm that i will not … The law doesn't work like that I'm afraid, i can confirm that i will not be getting a ticket nor the penalty points. its possible that i wasn't flashed and i got it wrong i guess.. Not guilty until proven

The guilt is there when you admitted it above. Another flaw in this country.

Hope the conscience stays up if you ever hit somebody as a result of your speeding
cnewlol

You should have to pay regardless of the time frame. If you're happy to … You should have to pay regardless of the time frame. If you're happy to break and be ignorant of the law you should take whatever punishment is given to you.

The law also states that the NIP must be delivered to the registered keeper within 14 days, so no, he doesn't have to pay "regardless of the time frame". The Police, Procurator Fiscal and the CPS also have to abide by the law.
Original Poster
Rab88

The law also states that the NIP must be delivered to the registered … The law also states that the NIP must be delivered to the registered keeper within 14 days, so no, he doesn't have to pay "regardless of the time frame". The Police, Procurator Fiscal and the CPS also have to abide by the law.

Your bang on!
nrackham76

Your bang on!

Rab88

The law also states that the NIP must be delivered to the registered … The law also states that the NIP must be delivered to the registered keeper within 14 days, so no, he doesn't have to pay "regardless of the time frame". The Police, Procurator Fiscal and the CPS also have to abide by the law.

If you take care to read what I've said, I said , and I quote "you SHOULD". I never said he will.

Tl;dr:

Read what I've said before you try to be a smart ****
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants