Expired

Can you download Sky Go programmes/movies via 3G/4G using tethering

Found 24th Nov 2014
As I understand it, Sky Go will not allow downloading via 4G, it only allows you to stream when using 3G/4G (bound to be some lame Sky reason for it!).

I was wondering though if tethering a tablet/phone to another tablet/phone would overcome this, by fooling Sky into thinking you are downloading over wifi - as tethering is simply creating a wifi hotspot? Or have Sky already thought of this and prevent the use of tethering to download as well.
Community Updates
AskMovieSky
8 Comments
You can only download using Sky Go Extra, which costs £5 per month. If you have multi-room, then Sky Go Extra is included in the price.
Banned
Try it
not sure, but ITV player only allows wifi and not cellular, so have got around this by hotspotting.
I don't get why they're sticking their oar in. it's between the customer and the data provider to work out what is allowed and what isn't
Original Poster
borofan47

You can only download using Sky Go Extra, which costs £5 per month. If … You can only download using Sky Go Extra, which costs £5 per month. If you have multi-room, then Sky Go Extra is included in the price.

You can't download via 3G/4G on Sky Go Extra, you can only stream.....hence my question.
You can only download using WiFi, not using mobile internet AFAIK.
m.shop.sky.com/mt/…ra/

It says on this page that downloads can only be done via WiFi, not 3G. Presumably he that excludes 4G too.
Original Poster
borofan47

You can only download using WiFi, not using mobile internet AFAIK.

You're not really getting the point of my question. The gist of it is: will creating a WiFi hotspot to tether my 4G from one device to another fool Sky Go into thinking it is downloading off normal WiFi rather than my 4G.
I don't see why it wouldn't work. It doesn't say that it has to use a particular WiFi network, just that it has to use WiFi. A WiFi hotspot from a phone is still a WiFi connection, so it seems fine to me. You'll need a generous tethering allowance, of course, as it will eat through a standard allowance in no time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions